U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2008, 01:03 PM

215 posts, read 735,380 times

Advertisements

If you are worried about safety, consider that you have a much greater chance of dying in a car wreck at any moment than of being attacked by a wild animal. Between those extremes, you probably have a better chance of getting attacked by a neighbor's loose dog than by a mountain lion.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 01:38 PM

775 posts, read 2,310,753 times
Default Jaws In New Mexico

That Logic might have Applied years ago when the Old Timers in the Mountains use to tell me that if i ever Encountered a Bear in the Forest just to Stop and dont move and the bear would slowly walk away and leave. Now that the Animals are running Scared from Forest Fires and Injured and Hungry from being shot at the logic doesnt apply that once did 20 to 50 years ago. It doesnt take a Brain Surgeon to figure out that a Hungry 300 lb animal has to come to Burger King or McDonalds if they get Hungry enough the smell is Irrestible to them. Also if you Surprise a Bear or Mountain Lion or Cougar or Bobcat expect to be attacked. We have our Sharks in our Midst and we should be Aware that Wild Animals today live closer to humans and if a Human feeds them they can become Friendly. SO WHOSE FEEDING THEM? Do We Know? So at least be Aware that the Danger is there and how to Protect yourself. pintada kid at webtv.net

Old 07-20-2008, 03:39 PM

7,268 posts, read 16,847,287 times
That's what I don't want to do is surprise these animals as I'm walking along a trail or wooded area.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:27 PM

Default Pintada Kid Tip for Hikers

If you like hiking and exploring out of the Way places the best advice i can give is carry a Gun and learn to shoot it. My preference in Handguns is the 22 L.R. or 22 Magnum or any gun as long as its single or double action and accurate enough to hit a Snake or Rabbit in the Head. Never did like Automatic weapons i always felt that automatic guns were too dangerous and not very accurate. pintada kid at webtv.net

Old 07-20-2008, 05:53 PM

Thanks Pintada Kid but I'm not a gun type person. I've never had one and have never shot one. I was raised in a city.
I figure I've gone 49 years so far without one and would rather do anything than shoot a gun.
It's hard for me to be a heartless person and shoot an animal. I'd rather use spray or something that would get rid of him/her but not kill.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:14 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 4,646,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
It's hard for me to be a heartless person and shoot an animal. I'd rather use spray or something that would get rid of him/her but not kill.
It would not hurt for you to kill a lion or a few if you follow the guidelines by the game and fish. We have a bunch in this state. Your area is loaded with them. They eat lots of mule deer.

If it's not your cup of tea thats fair enough. But I don't think it is fair for you to call people heartless for legally hunting and shooting/killing an animal.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:06 PM

Default Heartless Pintada Kid

Ive hunted and killed all kinds of animals for food most of my life sometimes the only thing we had to eat when i was a kid is whatever we killed. As a kid in Grade School and my first time Deer hunting i killed 3 bucks in less then a 24 hour period one was a 13 point buck my first legal deer. I quit deer hunting and hunting for other animals 20 years ago but with the price of everything going up on food and everything we might have to go back to killing our own food or growing our own. Although i quit hunting 20 years ago i probably hold the record in most deer killed by anyone person also back in the early 60s they use to pay a bounty on Jackrabbits because there were Thousands and Thousands of Jackrabbits around back then each were worth about 15 cents and were used for Dog Food as a kid i probably killed over a thousand jackrabbits easy>>>>>> TIP IF YOU HATE GUNS >>>>>> Carry a Dagger or the best tip i can give is use an Old Ski Pole and take the Ring off at the Bottom these make Excellent Walking Sticks and you can kill a Good Size Rattlesnake with it and use it for Protection while out hiking and to Rustle the Brush in front of you for snakes if the Ski Pole doesnt Work Take Plenty of Clothes with you when you go hiking. Also I dont know if Bears or Mountain Lions have Heard of Tear Gas Spray it might **** them off more i would think. Has anyone used Tear Gas Spray on a Bear? Also i need more Bear Fat to predict the Weather so a Bear wouldnt be a Bad thing right now. pintada kid at webtv.net

Old 07-20-2008, 09:31 PM

47 posts, read 117,045 times
Song ~ I walk daily in the mountains, with two small dogs on leashes. Only once have I seen a cougar and it was moving away from us up the mountain.

In the winter I do see tracks of cougars and smaller cats, possibly bobcats. These tracks are sometimes very fresh. If there were actually big cats laying in wait, who would be finer prey than me, a fairly small woman and two little dogs?

I do always wait at least two hours after sunrise to go out walking and do not walk within two hours of dark.

Enjoy the mountain, go for a walk about!

Old 07-20-2008, 09:37 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 4,646,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkey View Post
Song ~ I walk daily in the mountains, with two small dogs on leashes. Only once have I seen a cougar and it was moving away from us up the mountain.

In the winter I do see tracks of cougars and smaller cats, possibly bobcats. These tracks are sometimes very fresh. If there were actually big cats laying in wait, who would be finer prey than me, a fairly small woman and two little dogs?

I do always wait at least two hours after sunrise to go out walking and do not walk within two hours of dark.

Enjoy the mountain, go for a walk about!

Acutually dogs would be a good to have to keep lions and bears at bay. I have a friend that uses two small dogs to tree both bear and lion.

I agree with the bolded in the quote.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:26 AM

For the record, I wasn't calling anyone heartless for killing animals. I was saying it's not my 'thing' to do it. I don't have it in me to kill anything.

As for walking 2 small dogs, I have a lab mix that enjoys walks/runs here on the mountain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico