U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 09:03 AM

51 posts, read 97,923 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure it was meant that having to shoot the gun would be what made her freeze. More likely its the prospect of getting eaten that would make the freeze occur, but then states that she'd be willing to do whatever was in her power to defend herself. That would include using any carried firearms I assume.

The point being missed here is that Song is making an active choice to NOT carry a firearm. I respect that wish. Song, I figure you can calculate risks as well as anyone, and for you, the added security you might get from carrying a gun most likely isn't worth the hit you would take to your personal code of ethics if you did. If something changes and your view changes, ain't it grand that we live where we can still have options?

For me? I enjoy shooting but haven't been for a while due to medical issues. I have hunted, fished and spent a large part of my life in the woods. Thats my choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 01:40 PM

7,268 posts, read 16,847,287 times
I guess the reason I don't choose to carry a gun is out of fear for the gun itself. I'm not used to them. I was told by my late husband who went through a war that he saw many a soldier freeze up when trying to kill the enemy. It's within me to do everything in my power to save myself from getting killed and I've doing okay to this point in my life.
My s/o has some guns here in the house. I'm not sure what kind they are but a couple of them are rifles. I've never shot one. The noise is frightening too. If I did carry one hiking, other than wetting my pants I would be shaking so bad, I think I would freeze up. Don't know. Hope it never happens. I've also never killed anything so that's another issue of mine.
Thanks for some of your points on guns too because I could use the education for that especially now since I'm living among wild things.
Good idea Cathy for keeping a gun by your bed. Having someone break into your house, especially while sleeping, would be worse than running into a bear, mountain lion or whatever.
I'm wondering if by not eating cheeseburgers and steaks and eating something stinky like garlic would help keep the critters away while hiking.
All this talk about cheeseburgers is making me hungry so I'll go ahead and post this.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:21 PM

51 posts, read 97,923 times
Well if its is indeed a fear of guns, and you have them in your house anyway, perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to get some education after all. That way if you ever do need to handle them for whatever reason you know how to do so safely. I'm not afraid of guns themselves, i'm more afraid of people who have guns and no clue.

If you do decide to become more familiar with them, i'd definately recommend good ear protection for every shot, that way you can concentrate on the mechanics, and safety aspects without flinching away from the boom. Also as recommended, a small caliber to start with is usually a good idea. Technique matters, and same with the sound if you're worried about the thump you're gonna get, you're thinking about the wrong things. This will allow you to get the techniques down solid first so that when or if you do decide to move up to harder hitting weapons, you're more able to handle them. Probably the worst thing for a beginner to do is get hurt while shooting. It can be very hard to get beyond the flinch factor if the first rattle out of the box the scope bites you, or you aren't holding tight to shoulder correctly and get slapped rather than pushed by the butt of the gun.

Same goes for pistols, and if anything they tend to be louder. The action type makes a difference as to how loud they are, but loud is loud no matter how you look at it. On pistols, to minimize potential pain from shooting, the correct size weapon, and grips that fit your hands well can make a large difference. Then theres checkering. For some people, checkering on the grips increases the discomfort they feel when shooting the pistol, if this were to be the case for you, the grips can be replaced with rubber grips of various styles. Everything you can do to increase your comfort level will lead to more confidence in yourself and knowledge that you can handle the firearm safely.

Even if you learn how to shoot and get comfortable enough to not be as scared, then never ever shoot again, knowledge is never a bad thing.

As for the garlic rather than cheesburgers, I suspect a bear would think you were an enticing mobile Italian meal walking through the woods. A pesto person.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:18 PM

6,881 posts, read 7,082,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post
Yes, I stopped at a little Restaurant in Corona and ordered a Cheeseburger with Fries to eat out in the Mountains. After i ate in my pickup out there i went for a Walk behind my pickup up a hill. I saw this Bear way off in the Distance coming towards me at a fast speed and i started walking back towards my pickup but before i knew it he was right there. I tried to get between a boulder and him and put my arms over my head but every time i would put my arms over my Head he would get on his hind feet and raise his hands like if we were both playing Simon Says. I picked up this 10 lb rock i figured i would Smash it into his Head if he came at me but i decided to throw it over the Boulder and let out a Loud GRRRR at the Bear and He Turned i dont know if the Rock Scared him or the Grrr but as he turned away i Calmly Flew Back to my Pickup. Anyway i think he could smell that Cheeseburger from Miles away while i was eating in my pickup. I took pics of him from real Far away as i was leaving through my Pickup window but he didnt leave he stayed in the Same area there. Maybe ill wait till the Bear Dies of Old Age before i go back to that Area. He Was Reddish Brown and probably like a 300 lb bear. It was about 2 miles north of Corona. Im actually Glad i didnt have my Dagger or Walking Stick because i might have Actually have Tried to See if i could Defend myself like Daniel Boone. So Sometimes no Defense is better then a Dagger or maybe even a pistol if your Afraid to shoot it. TIP ... The Personality of todays Wild Animals who live among Humans is not like the Wild Animals of 50 years ago we need to Warn people of the Danger and how to protect themselves. Because soon our Woods will become like Jaws in the Ocean if we dont Prepare and train people. Even the Best of Hunters in the woods can be eaten by a Hungry Bear around a campfire while hes cooking a Burger. Ive spent a lifetime in the Mountains and Mesas of N.M. and probably killed more Deer and Animals then most any human alive but i quit hunting over 20 years ago and cant even shoot a rabbit anymore. Before it was a Survival thing. About the only varmint i kill now is Rattlesnakes. And they serve their Purpose for all my Remedios. pintada kid at webtv.net
Thank goodness it's not mating season or your Grrr could have been disasterous!!!!!!!

Pretty darn scary - you got lucky.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:23 PM

6,881 posts, read 7,082,023 times
I've been looking at homes on the Internet and see most of them have those wonderful stone or cement walls around the property - I seen these referred to as coyote walls. Can a snake crawl over these walls or other type fences?

Old 08-29-2008, 11:28 PM

775 posts, read 2,311,039 times
Default 22 Magnums and Long Rifle TIP

My Favorite Guns to use in the Mountains and they arent heavy and are Accurate are the 22s the 22 magnums have a little more range. Remember that if you buy Hollow Point Bullets they explode when they hit and can do lots of Damage. The Bigger Guns Can Bring most anything down if you are Very Good at Shooting them but they are Loud and some have a kick to them and for amateurs it might not be the Perfect Gun. I would start off with Cowboy style 22 revolver and learn to shoot it and hit a small Can at 20 or 30 yards most everytime. I use to practice with all kinds of pistols and rifles and i used BB guns to hit disks in the air most every time then i started using my 22 LR. and hitting the small 22 bullet boxes in the Air. I quit using a Rifle and started using a Pistol when i went rabbit hunting and most of my shots were head shots. Its not easy to bring down a deer with a 22 but if you hit it in the Head it will go down i would think that a Bear if you hit it between the eyes with a 22 LR. bullet especially the Hollow Point you could bring it down. TIP...... Also to all you Brave Expert Hunters if your Ammo gets old and you try to shoot it theres something called Hang Fire and it might not fire right away so give it a few extra Seconds because the Powder could be burning and your gun would explode on you while trying to get another bullet in the Chamber or it might not fire at all at a Charging Bear. So Try to use new Ammo when you go Bear Hunting. pintada kid at webtv.net

Old 08-29-2008, 11:40 PM

775 posts, read 2,311,039 times
Default Cathy and her 357

Cathy you said you had a 357 for 20 years have you Shot with it? pintada kid at webtv.net

Old 08-30-2008, 12:00 AM

11,798 posts, read 21,344,716 times
I don't think it's a good idea to hunt deer with a .22 rimfire...maybe a centerfire .22 with a heavy bullet, but at least a .243 is much better. As for a bear, using a .22 on it would probably just make it mad unless you were lucky, like shooting through the eye socket into the brain. I love the .22 rimfires, especially the Magnum, but it's just not big enough for that sort of duty. My S&W .22 Magnum is my favorite pistol to shoot; no recoil and super accurate.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:54 AM

1,063 posts, read 2,656,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
I've been looking at homes on the Internet and see most of them have those wonderful stone or cement walls around the property - I seen these referred to as coyote walls. Can a snake crawl over these walls or other type fences?
I believe that if a snake can get his head through a hold he could get in. I have never heard of a snake crawling over the wall. I do not have a fence around my property and I have seen 3 snakes in 10 years, and none up by the house.
Jane

Old 08-30-2008, 09:43 AM

9,191 posts, read 18,519,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post
Cathy you said you had a 357 for 20 years have you Shot with it? pintada kid at webtv.net
Yes. But not in a long time. I used to go out to the range in Midland for target practice.

I grew up with guns, hunting, et al, as most do in rural WT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico