U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 12:10 PM

775 posts, read 2,282,939 times

Advertisements

In Timberon youll find lots of places to practice with your gun at least you wont have to Worry Much about Bears and Mountain Lions when you go hiking. ALSO to the Person who asked if snakes can climb up Walls. When i was a Kid i ran into this 6 foot Bullsnake around a Big Water Tank that was about 7 foot Deep. The Water was about 2 feet from the Rim of the Tank. I Managed to Scare the Bullsnake into the Tank and all it did was SKim through the Surface of the Water at a fast speed and when it got to the other side of the Tank it just Glided right over the Wall of the Tank and Disappeared out into the tall Grass. pintada kid at webtv.net
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 12:43 PM

7,256 posts, read 16,580,257 times
Speaking of snakes, wouldn't a rattle snake give warning before attacking? The person that was bit by a rattler, didn't he/she see the warning signs?
I've always heard that a rattler gives off several warnings before the attack.

Old 08-30-2008, 02:00 PM

550 posts, read 1,357,792 times
Default Rattler without warning !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Speaking of snakes, wouldn't a rattle snake give warning before attacking? The person that was bit by a rattler, didn't he/she see the warning signs?
Song, Having grown up in the deserts of West Texas where rattlers are plentiful, if you happen to walk up on one that hears, smells, or feels your heat, it will usually warn before striking at you. But come up on one quickly that has no time, and I have seen one strike then recoil and warn before striking again. A rattler has to be coiled before striking and then can only strike 1/2 its body length. A good pair of calf high boots will keep the fangs from penetrating through to the skin. Then you can just walk away from the snake and you both go unharmed!
David

Old 08-30-2008, 02:13 PM

51 posts, read 96,720 times
There was no warning. The first indication my dad had that the snake was there was the bite.

Theres another discussion thread talking about how they're only "defensive."
Snakes are predators. And while people are outside the size range of their prey, saying they're not aggressive is nuts. Plus, no matter how you cut it a defensive bite because a person stepped too close without seeing one, is just as deadly as if one were to chase you down and bite you.

The "they're just not aggressive" argument was also made for Cotton Mouths, but having been pushed out of the spot a moccasin wanted in Tx, I beg to differ. I was standing in its favorite sunning spot and I had 3 choices. Stay where I was (IT came to ME) and have an altercation, move away and worry about the next person who might come across this particular snake, or leave and let it have the pond I was fishin in to itself. I moved. My uncle (who owned the land) saw what happened, ran to the truck and got a gun to kill it. His opinion was that like any other animal many snakes would avoid encounters with people, but others would NOT. If in doubt, the snake was dead. If it was close to his house, the snake was dead.

On the comment made about "hollow points" earlier, while its true that hollow points will expend more energy faster on a target, this doesn't mean a person should think "hey i'm goin hunting, lets get all hollow points." Having the energy be expended in the right location is the most important thing. Having a bullet fragment to little bits of nothing while outside a vital area is bad. Know enough to choose the right tool for the job.

Hollow points do have their place, but factors such as muzzel velocity and distance, size of target, bullet weight and shape all change what occurs on impact. Education of self on this subject from good sources is key.

Same with any tool use, the more you know, the safer you can be, and the easier you can judge if someone ELSE is behaving in a safe manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post

Old 08-30-2008, 02:39 PM

Very good post. What you say is true in most cases, and may very well be true with the bite my dad had occur. There were 2 walkers. Dad and his dog, our belief is that the dog most likely ran by and got the snake alert. The likely hood is that it coiled and warned but the dog was already out of hearing distance off looking for interesting things at which point the snake is on high alert, but probably not rattling. Why bring back something that has already ran past by making noises? Then slower dad caught up, the snake already on alert reacts thinking the thing its already alerted once has come back to fight, doesn't give warning, and nails my dad.
This occurs after 61 years of vigilance having come across a multitude of snakes in his time. All it takes is the right circumstance, and a snake where it can't be seen till too late.
The area we live in, especially lately has LOTS of rattlesnakes. To the point that as you approach your car you try to see under it to check for snakes. When you step off the end of the ramp (which could have one underneath) try to step to locations where if there IS a snake he'll have trouble striking. Then as you move away from the ramp, stop and turn to see if it was clear. These things are habit. But as in my dads case, people DO get bit, the bites are really really bad as is the treatment.
The snake boot suggestion for those who are out in infested areas is a great way to go. My fearless father doesn't leave the house without them now.
With Rattlesnakes, the term "most of the time" isn't good enough. Get snake boots, teach your kids well, and either have any rattlers that show up in frequented areas removed by professionals, or shoot them.
If you see a drunk on the road you'd want him removed and jailed to protect yourself and your family despite the fact that MOST drunks make it home fine and don't harm a soul. For years and years even. Right up till they run over someone. Would you shoot this person? No, but there are built in societal mechanics now to handle this. Turn them in. Its not perfect, and people still get killed by drunk drivers admittedly, but it shows the proper mindset. Get them off the road.

Rattlesnakes? Get them away from my house. Make friends with an expert, call the game department to see if they can remove the offending snake, ignore the snake after deciding if the risk to self and family is acceptable, or shoot it. Of all these options shooting is the most reliable answer. The others require delays while waiting for the experts to show up, or ignoring a snake that isn't afraid enough of people to make it stay away from your house, but these choices have to be made every day. Thats what life is, a continual series of risk vs reward questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeweld View Post
Song, Having grown up in the deserts of West Texas where rattlers are plentiful, if you happen to walk up on one that hears, smells, or feels your heat, it will usually warn before striking at you. But come up on one quickly that has no time, and I have seen one strike then recoil and warn before striking again. A rattler has to be coiled before striking and then can only strike 1/2 its body length. A good pair of calf high boots will keep the fangs from penetrating through to the skin. Then you can just walk away from the snake and you both go unharmed!
David

Last edited by Sturgis; 08-30-2008 at 02:48 PM..

Old 08-30-2008, 03:20 PM

Default Wild Animals and Snakes

When it comes to Wild Animals and Snakes times are Changing and they are moving in with people. The Logic that Applied years ago about Wild Animals no longer applies today people have to Learn to Protect themselves from them in whatever way they can. My doctor was telling me that one of his favorite hiking trails in the Mountains around Albuquerque was Closed because of Bears. We are going to Start seeing more Bears attacking Humans and Dogs and other Domestic Animals as they get Hungry and Lose their Homes and their Food Supply. pintada kid at webtv.net

Old 08-30-2008, 08:40 PM

47 posts, read 115,607 times
Quite an interesting discussion on living with the 'Wilder than Me' critters.

Pintada, you are absolutely right about a bear's keen sense of smell. I know you're telling the truth about eating or better yet, NOT eating a cheeseburger before going out in the wilds. The way you say it is just soooo funny.

Once, and only once, I left household trash on the four wheeler instead of going to the dumpster during a heavy, all night rain. Next morning, all the food scraps had been eaten, unedible trash was strewn about and there were bear tracks all around. Never again!

The advise I was given regarding bears, mountain lions, etc. was this...
always hike with someone you can outrun.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:12 AM

Default Sparkey Humor

Always Hike with Someone i Can Outrun i have to remember that one to tell my Women Friends when they want to go looking for Arrowheads and exploring Ghost towns. pintada kid At webtv.net

Old 08-31-2008, 10:32 AM

7,256 posts, read 16,580,257 times
I like that. Always hike with someone you can outrun.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:46 PM

Sad, but here are 2 links regarding the mountain lion attack that occured last June.
KRQE - Albuquerque, New Mexico - News, Video, Weather Forecast, Sports, Community, Health, Homes | KBIM - KREZ | Pinos Altos man killed by mountain lion
KRQE - Albuquerque, New Mexico - News, Video, Weather Forecast, Sports, Community, Health, Homes | KBIM - KREZ | Cougar killed; officials suspect it attacked, killed man
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico