Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 10:11 AM

717 posts, read 1,954,425 times

Advertisements

Here we go again with tirseome arguments being made about what to do about endemic critters who have evolved in ecosystems...often for tens of thousands, even millions of years...when we pushy, egocentric, self deluding, entitled humans decide to park our considerable baggage in THEIR neighborhood(s). And then we marvel at their "aggression" towards our interloper selves. I know it's impossible for most but try on a little empathy sometimes it actually helps to clear those turgid preconceptions and lack of insight. WE are the invaders folks, not the naturally occurring wildlife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 10:52 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times
Well... considering how we humans tend to regard other *humans* who happen to be living where we'd like to "park our baggage", and how we treat other persons who are different than us... and are therefore perceived as a "threat"... it isn't surprising at all.

Meanwhile 10 times as many people in the US are killed violently and suddenly in car accidents each year as were killed on 9/11... just as an example. The odds of gettting eaten by a mountain lion are vanishingly small, yet people like to pretend otherwise. Frankly, I prefer to have a few wild animals around that could possibly eat me.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:39 PM

rruff...you and I are on the same page. I want there to be plenty of lions, tigers, bears, sharks, snakes and every other conceivable creature around me. Alas, at the monstrous rate of species extinction now occurring, our grandchildren will probably only have a few domestic beasts around (that we consume) and little else. I pity the next world we attempt to "civilize".

Old 09-02-2008, 01:20 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
I couldn't agree more. I think it's a good idea to carry protection just in case, but one is more likely to need it for protection from other people than from animals. From their point of view, there is nothing civil about civilization.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:04 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
Wow, don't get me wrong. I love wildlife and would like to see more animals around. The more the merrier. In fact, I would like to see more animals than most people but I posted this because I needed to know what to do in case I ran into one while out in the woods.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:40 PM

775 posts, read 2,587,352 times
Default Times Have Changed

We have to Rethink and Retrain people in dealing with Domestic Wild Animals which are Coming to Town because they have lost their homes and some are Starving and looking for any kind of food they can find. We either have to Decide whether we want them to live and eat us or try to thin them out like the Jackrabbits back in the 60s but also at the same time get some use out of them for Food or other Purposes even to Mount them and possibly put them in Museums or Schools or Cities for our kids to see intead of alive in Zoos so they can get out and eat someone. >>>>>> I love all kinds of Wild Animals but when they are coming to town to Eat People or Kids then we have to finally Decide which is More Important a Wild Life or a Human Life? pintada kid at webtv.net

Old 09-02-2008, 03:23 PM

Depends on the human.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:01 PM

Thumbs down One grouse in the brush is worth a million humans in the Bars

For the most I'd go with the wild life. One rare and endangered creature is worth more to me than tens of thousands of impetuous, self-centered, egocentric vile humans. Of course...that's just me.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:05 PM

No, it's me too.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:16 PM

45 posts, read 138,706 times
I'm not adding anything new, but I couldn't resist the opportunity to add my 2 cents.

We've encroached on their turf, folks, not the other way around. Balancing our needs with theirs, in our fragile ecosystem, is a challenge.

It is never acceptable to shoot or kill an endangered species, unless maybe you're in its mouth. And if you're in that situation, you must have been seeking them out and taunting them, because most will run if they see humans. So shame on you.

This is why I write letters to congress to lobby for the protection of our threatened and endangered wild cat and big cat populations.

And if I win the lottery, the first thing I'll do is buy a few hundred acres and open up a big cat sanctuary to relocate the displaced felines. Then they won't bug you at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico