Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 10:39 AM

1 posts, read 3,965 times

Advertisements

I too am interested in this feedback. I am currently living in Glenwood Springs, CO and am considering moving my two boys (14 and 11) and myself to Taos. My largest concern is the school system. Both of my sons are in the gifted and talented programs in Glenwood and I would hope that some program similar is available in the Taos School District.

Thank you for sharing your information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 06:53 PM

293 posts, read 971,192 times
I'm not sure if the silence on this topic means anything, but I wouldn't (personally) move to Taos with school aged kids. New Mexico isn't known for it's wonderful schools -- in fact, someone told me that we rank 47th worst in the nation. And within New Mexico, Taos isn't know for it's schools. So... to the first poster, you'd be taking your kids from a decent school system to a pretty dismal one. And to the second poster, you'd be taking your kids from a good school district (assuming Glenwood is at least average in Colorado) to a dismal one - with no gifted and talented program and very few enrichment programs at all.

The Taos school district is tiny with just three elementary schools, one middle, and one high, plus a few very small alternative schools. Over 3/4 of the children who attend public school in Taos qualify as low income, and over 1/2 have English as a second language (this is according to the Taos school district website).

Taos is an awesome place to visit and for some, it's a great place to live. But unless you can afford to homeschool or pay for one of the very few private schools, I wouldn't advise it. Again, just personal opinion.

(So you can put my comments in context - I live in Santa Fe and have two school aged kids who attend a private school. If we lived in Albuquerque, I'd feel comfortable sending my kids to a few of the public elementaries, but not here or in Taos.)

Old 11-12-2010, 04:54 PM

4,863 posts, read 4,801,062 times
There's a lot of info on this web site, you can start here:
New Mexico Schools - New Mexico State School Ratings - Public and Private

Old 11-30-2010, 05:39 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,985,636 times
Wink Taos as home

As someone who lived in Taos and Albuquerque for a number of years, and may again, I can easily say that ABQ can be pleasant, with Taos certainly unique and special. However, unless your entire family is enticed with the idea of calling Taos home, remaining in ABQ may be the better option. If you are looking for an argument to dissuade your husband, this is it.

I have little personal experience with the schools in Taos, only a bit with the UNM extension, but from anecdotal reports would suggest that if excellent public schooling is your priority, then Taos is probably not it, nor New Mexico for that matter. If flexible, willing to be pro-active and work around such limitations, then a child growing up in the area might start life with a well-rounded foundation. Particularly if part of your emphasis is of the Earth, and all one might learn from Her.

ABQ can be an idiosyncratic place, Taos definitely is. How one holds that is a matter of interpretation. One difference is that ABQ is large enough to find varying groups of a certain size, while Taos remains a fairly small place. One had best like the overall ambience. Chai drinking trustafarians will be the least of it, and certainly outnumbered by the greater populace often struggling with far more modest means. Despite certain lovely residences and pockets of true money, Taos is a poor town in a poor county in a poor state. In at least insofar as material wealth is concerned. That reality will be with you daily unless you happen to come from money, and somehow oblivious to where living.

The spiritual side of the ledger is far richer. One reason many come to Taos, perhaps also why others never left. It is palpable not only in the often stark but beautiful scenery of sage and mountains, but expressed as well through the many artists in residence, and demeanor of so many locals with a certain sense of place. There are strong contrasts, with those in authority often seconding the environment for money, but at times also its defender. All is not light and magic, with some people at times dark, this possibly enhanced by hard circumstances. But this is part of the bargain, two sides of the same coin in influences not always felt in cities. They will be there.

In looking you'll find much information on Taos in this forum and elsewhere, but the best test surely remains your two feet on the ground. Take the family, stay anywhere, but roam about freely, particularly in neighborhoods where asphalt turns to gravel, to dirt, then possibly mud. Walk about. Within several days you may not be able to say for sure, but a sign if interested then in going further, remaining that day longer.

My suspicion that many tourists are more than happy to return home after a visit, few ever truly envisioning Taos as a new home . . . but most with a soft longing for the intangible of it, and dreams of one day returning.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:00 AM

42 posts, read 74,980 times
Wow... thank you....

I have decided to stay in Albuquerque....

I made this decision mainly because the opportunities here for raising and inquisitive and well-rounded kids are so much more than Taos.

It may seem weird to want to stay somewhere because there's a zoo, aquarium, explora, bontanic garden but those kind of factors are a big part of it.

I will always love Taos, but what Idunn said about it makes sense to me. I have felt it there, this divide between the super rich oblivious and the super poor. It makes me uncomfortable. I land in the middle, and there's not much there for a working class family from the outside.

Albuquerque is so real for better or worse, but for some reason I love it, broken down strip malls and all.

On the topic of education, being a public school teacher, I feel it is beyond wrong if I send my kids to private schools. I have faith in public education... if I do my part as a parent, no matter where my girls go to school they will be okay.

Thanks for you advice!

Old 12-07-2010, 02:04 PM

24 posts, read 64,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidcharlemagne View Post
Wow... thank you....

I have decided to stay in Albuquerque....

I made this decision mainly because the opportunities here for raising and inquisitive and well-rounded kids are so much more than Taos.

It may seem weird to want to stay somewhere because there's a zoo, aquarium, explora, bontanic garden but those kind of factors are a big part of it.

I will always love Taos, but what Idunn said about it makes sense to me. I have felt it there, this divide between the super rich oblivious and the super poor. It makes me uncomfortable. I land in the middle, and there's not much there for a working class family from the outside.

Albuquerque is so real for better or worse, but for some reason I love it, broken down strip malls and all.

On the topic of education, being a public school teacher, I feel it is beyond wrong if I send my kids to private schools. I have faith in public education... if I do my part as a parent, no matter where my girls go to school they will be okay.

Thanks for you advice!
I say get your kids raised. Taos will always be there. The sad fact is that it has the expense of Santa Fe without the high wages. Although wages don't go far here either.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:48 PM

96 posts, read 296,275 times
It may seem weird to want to stay somewhere because there's a zoo, aquarium, explora, bontanic garden but those kind of factors are a big part of it. ----- definitely!

i no longer live in nm. however ,i lived for 4 years with preschoolers in northern nm. we would travel 45 minutes to taos for a decent park and twirl play toy shop. we would travel 45 minutes to santa fe for the children's museum and a smattering of the occasional. it is beyond sucky to live in a place that doesn't offer much of anything. we would often go and visit family in abq. and drank in the zoo, botanic garden, etc. like water after the sahara. we are not a family that needs to be "going" all the time, but, when we're raedy to venture forth from the coccoon of home, it's imperative to have somewhere enriching to go--even if only a decent park!

additionally, the stark contrast between the poor and the trustafari of taos is palpable. i also found that the trustafari kids were pretty self-revolved and encouraged to be so by their parents. not a fun place to play if you really are into teaching your kids kindness and centering not always on their own desires.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:26 AM

8 posts, read 29,289 times
Default Taos

For some reason I woke up this morning and thought to myself I want to move to Taos! I am a libertarian, vegan, yoga loving, crunchy mom. I work as a nurses assistant and hope to someday return to school to become a nurse. I love the idea of living off the grid and sustainable living. I grew up in a small mountain town in souther Oregon and now live in the Seattle suburbs. I love the snow and hate the rain. I love the peace and privacy of small mountain towns. I occasionally like to go to the city to explore for a weekend and see museums or the zoo with my kids. If you are from Taos or not please let me know why you think it would be a good fit for me. Thanks

Old 09-01-2011, 07:43 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,057,736 times
Have you been to Taos? If not you really need to visit first. There are a few areas of Taos that the are earthy-crunchy utopia you envision, but there are larger areas that are Wal-mart shopping-poverty level reality. Only you can decide if the Taos fits your expectations, I would suggest an extended visit and look very closely at the school system if you plan on sending your kids there.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:05 PM

10 posts, read 29,453 times
It sounds like you might like it especially if you are into the earthiness of small towns. It is a good idea to visit and take a look around. Most locals are very welcoming (just ask Taos resident Julia Roberts!). It is not a pretentious town and you take it for what it is. I love the above mentioned Wal-Mart reference. That's where Julia bought the chairs for her outdoor wedding held at her house years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico