Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 11:18 PM

203 posts, read 711,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by New West 2020 View Post
A lot of press is out on the Internet regarding the "Shifty Fifty" in Clovis. Some kind of group that skanks up the price of commercial real estate and tells people where to build? Who knows the real dope on these guys and are they anything to reckon with when I locate my business?
Clovis is a small city with a population of around 35,000.
Cannon AFB accounts for something like 15-20% of the civilian non-farm jobs in Clovis. The local business owners had every reason to fight like hell to keep the base open when faced with closure a couple of years ago.

So, if by "skanks up the price of commercial real estate...", your informants mean that the "Shifty Fifty" worked to prevent real estate values tanking, they are correct.

If you are looking to relocate to a small city/town, keep these truths in mind:
1. In a small community, gossip is the primary source of entertainment
2. In a town of 35,000, the threat of losing a military base with 3,500 personnel assigned means losing about the same number of private sector jobs... about 20% of the local workforce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 10:37 AM

47 posts, read 167,430 times
Great post Boxkicker!!!! And thanks for serving your country from me and all my family.

God Bless you and yours.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:52 PM

153 posts, read 539,169 times
Default I'm talking about Clovis commercial land dealings, not related to the military base

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc23 View Post
Clovis is a small city with a population of around 35,000.
Cannon AFB accounts for something like 15-20% of the civilian non-farm jobs in Clovis. The local business owners had every reason to fight like hell to keep the base open when faced with closure a couple of years ago.

So, if by "skanks up the price of commercial real estate...", your informants mean that the "Shifty Fifty" worked to prevent real estate values tanking, they are correct.

If you are looking to relocate to a small city/town, keep these truths in mind:
1. In a small community, gossip is the primary source of entertainment
2. In a town of 35,000, the threat of losing a military base with 3,500 personnel assigned means losing about the same number of private sector jobs... about 20% of the local workforce.
No, I'm not talking about the Air Force Save Cannon group, I'm talking about the local small town land sharks. Some of my investor contacts eluded to some type of Clovis committee - "Gang of Fifty" or "Shifty Fifty" that control development patterns for their own benefit (costing us dough) and don't want/allow urban planning in Clovis. Is this true?

It won't be tough to find out who they are and avoid them, I just want an unbiased, experienced opinion, not a Chamber of Commerce opinion.

Last edited by New West 2020; 07-26-2008 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 07-27-2008, 01:24 AM

203 posts, read 711,678 times
Quote:
No, I'm not talking about the Air Force Save Cannon group, I'm talking about the local small town land sharks. Some of my investor contacts eluded to some type of Clovis committee - "Gang of Fifty" or "Shifty Fifty" that control development patterns for their own benefit (costing us dough) and don't want/allow urban planning in Clovis. Is this true?

It won't be tough to find out who they are and avoid them, I just want an unbiased, experienced opinion, not a Chamber of Commerce opinion.
Maybe your investor contacts can give you more concrete information?
And wouldn't a group seeking to control development patterns want Urban Planning? Seems like planning development is necessary to control it. If the Shifty Fifty want to control development, key members are likely on the city's Master Plan committee and zoning/development review board.

Most NM towns and cities are dependent on funds disbursed by the State Legislature under the Infrastructure Capital Investment Plan. To receive these funds, municipalities must have a master plan for community development that is comprehensively revised and updated every seven years. I know Clovis receives ICIP funds for infrastructure projects, so the City must have an up to date Community Development Master Plan.

Urban planning hasn't been thwarted

If you want more facts to start with: contact City of Clovis Community Development Director. She will provide you with a copy of the Master Plan (probably for a small fee). Clovis' zoning ordinances can be found here
Clovis, NM City Code

Every municipality harbors numerous committees or groups seeking to control development and political process for personal gain. Though the existence of an effective 50 member committee seems highly unlikely, it is possible. Any group that large that is able to maintain consensus of purpose and act on a focused agenda would be a force to reckon with.
Good luck with your due diligence-

Old 08-01-2008, 01:18 PM

153 posts, read 539,169 times
A bit hard on Clovis here, but getting closer to the answer (I think): Like Endless Rain Into a Paper Cup: Cow Town

Old 08-01-2008, 02:28 PM

576 posts, read 2,299,438 times
Quote:
A bit hard on Clovis here, but getting closer to the answer (I think): Like Endless Rain Into a Paper Cup: Cow Town
I like the part where she says that Clovis "has left an indelible hoofprint on my soul." The woman is funny!

~clairz

Old 08-17-2008, 12:15 AM

1 posts, read 5,038 times
Default Soilders soldout

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairz View Post
Boxkicker, I love your attitude. I've said it before, but I am so glad you are back from Afghanistan, safe and sound, and ready to start a new part of your life.

And remember, Clovis actually has 3 golf courses... Who knew?

~clairz
[FONT=Verdana]After returning from my 8th tour in Afghanistan I can tell you that you are out of touch. I normally consider the elderly members of the community to be wise that is not true in this case. It is not that the warriors of the 1st SOW are worried about being in a town with limited night life; it has far more to do with the reason why they are being moved to the end of the earth. It is all about the almighty dollar and the money promised to AFSOC if they save the base. The fact is that training missions at Cannon will be dangerous for the aircrews! The climate and altitude do not suite the aircraft that will be used for training. The men and women of AFSOC are some of the most highly educated soldiers that have ever set foot on a battlefield, and one would be thought foolish to think other wise. Also it is a large problem that the committee of 50 and other corrupt members of Clovis are gouging the soldiers being forced to move to clovis through home prices. I would like to point out the Fact that a General Officer from AFSOC flew out to clovis to meet with MR Randy Harris about problems, and was stood up by all of the shifty 50. This did not go unnoticed to AFSOC leadership, and they have now begun referring to the committee of 50 as the shifty 50. The shifty 50 better remember that this is not ACC but AFSOC, warriors not scared to fight, no matter the odds. [/FONT]

Old 08-17-2008, 06:32 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,759,825 times
Quote:
Reading this persons blog leads me to believe that she is not happy anywhere, and has a petulant axe to grind

Old 08-17-2008, 07:09 AM

576 posts, read 2,299,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor_130 View Post
After returning from my 8th tour in Afghanistan I can tell you that you are out of touch. I normally consider the elderly members of the community to be wise that is not true in this case. It is not that the warriors of the 1st SOW are worried about being in a town with limited night life; it has far more to do with the reason why they are being moved to the end of the earth. It is all about the almighty dollar and the money promised to AFSOC if they save the base. The fact is that training missions at Cannon will be dangerous for the aircrews! The climate and altitude do not suite the aircraft that will be used for training. The men and women of AFSOC are some of the most highly educated soldiers that have ever set foot on a battlefield, and one would be thought foolish to think other wise. Also it is a large problem that the committee of 50 and other corrupt members of Clovis are gouging the soldiers being forced to move to clovis through home prices. I would like to point out the Fact that a General Officer from AFSOC flew out to clovis to meet with MR Randy Harris about problems, and was stood up by all of the shifty 50. This did not go unnoticed to AFSOC leadership, and they have now begun referring to the committee of 50 as the shifty 50. The shifty 50 better remember that this is not ACC but AFSOC, warriors not scared to fight, no matter the odds.
Thank you for your incredible service to our country. I think it is amazing and pretty shocking that you have been asked to do 8 tours in Afghanistan.

For the non-military among us and for those who are new to this area, could you please spell out SOW, AFSOC, and ACC? And to clarify your meaning, are you fixing to fight someone locally?

~clairz

Old 09-06-2008, 10:45 AM

130 posts, read 595,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairz View Post
Thank you for your incredible service to our country. I think it is amazing and pretty shocking that you have been asked to do 8 tours in Afghanistan.

For the non-military among us and for those who are new to this area, could you please spell out SOW, AFSOC, and ACC? And to clarify your meaning, are you fixing to fight someone locally?

~clairz
1 SOW = First Special Operations Wing

AFSOC = Air Force Special Operations Command (HUA!)

ACC = Air Combat Command (not to be mistaken for Air Combat Controllers, who ARE Special Operations Warriors of the Air Force)

Granted, Purple Dragon/OPSEC is watching, but this is public knowledge, well, mostly. ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico