Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 11:40 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,568,989 times

Advertisements

I was at a friend's house for dinner last week, she grilled turkey burgers and had fresh roasted green chiles to put on them - it was so good I forgave her for using frozen turkey burgers. Boy, green chiles make almost anything taste good! I'm hooked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 11:52 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,873,875 times
Anyone try growing their own and roasting them at home? I am doing square foot gardening next summer and have thought about dedicating some space to chile peppers.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:42 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,253,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
Anyone try growing their own and roasting them at home? I am doing square foot gardening next summer and have thought about dedicating some space to chile peppers.
I have but I finally figured, hey - this is where they grow them locally and they're professionals. Why grow what I can get fresh. As a result I buy my chile's but grow stuff like eggplant, squash, etc that isn't grown so much locally.

Mine also came out smaller than the commercial ones. Don't know why.

I guess it would be a good idea to grow them yourself if you wanted to know what was put on them as far as pesticides and fertilizers but otherwise the ones grown locally taste so good I don't see the point.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:50 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,795,127 times
Quote:
Yes, I've done it for years in WT. I've grown over 20 varieties, and it is nice to be able to grow what you can't get commercially.

My Alamo garden next year will have both tomatoes and chiles.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:18 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,359,135 times
Went by the local grocery store today and they had asign up saying that the Hatch chilie shipment is delayed for 2 weeks due to rains :S

Old 08-13-2008, 09:57 PM
TKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodiddley View Post
Not to start an argument but what is the proper spelling for chili?
chili is meat and beans with a red concoction. chile is the plant and the fruit it produces. Least ways that's how most New Mexicans think of it.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:34 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,960,912 times
Hatch is horrible if your a real new mexican you get Chimayo Chile!..
Mmmm its the best in the world, no questions asked!

Old 08-14-2008, 06:57 AM
TKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Hatch is horrible if your a real new mexican you get Chimayo Chile!..
Mmmm its the best in the world, no questions asked!
Horrible? Chimayo is only good dried in chili when it's got a dozen other spices masking it's bitterness.

Sorry norteno you're outta' you're league here.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:51 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,704,895 times
Don't bother with bradly. He goes from forum to forum trying to instigate arguments.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:29 AM

908 posts, read 2,845,927 times
Quote:
Anyone try growing their own and roasting them at home? ...
These are my plants in the back yard. A mix of Sandias and Big Jims. TKO is right in that the local professionals do a great job on their own, but I gotta tell you, little snack bags of chopped, roasted green chile fresh out of your garden is like mana around here. No one turns it away, and they all feel like they owe you something for it. On top of that, I just like to garden for the process. The connection to a special crop so prized in New Mexico and the intimate knowledge of that part of my family's food chain are just side benefits.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico