Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 05:27 AM

1,566 posts, read 4,422,660 times

Advertisements

How about trying to pronounce the name of the little town in Mexico that's called Parangaricutirimícuaro? ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
Well, so far New Mexico doesn't have anything to compete with Natchitoches, LA.
(pronounced NACK-a-tush) Let's keep trying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 08:51 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,248,814 times
Whoo hoo! I pronounce Ruidoso like JECC does. I was beginning to feel left out here...

Ya'll may have your names... but who can compete with Lick Skillet, Ky? Or with some roads around here... Crackerneck, Tater Valley, Little Tater Valley, Froglevel... lol

Old 07-29-2008, 02:00 PM

68 posts, read 257,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Just one of the many things that gives NM its unique character is the place names. What are some more place names that in practice don't match their typical/proper pronunciation?

Here's what I have so far (feel free to interject if you disagree with any of these

*Thoreau (ther-oo)
*Madrid (mad'-rid)
*Ruidoso (ree-uh-doe-ser)
*Los Lunas (laws-loo-nuhs)
Hi,
These are the spanish pronunciations:

Madrid...great-grandparents hometown in Spain...the 'a' in Ma sounds like the 'a' in the musical notes, "do, re, mi, fa, so, la, ti, do". And drid sounds like, dreed...Ma-dreed.

Ruidoso...roo-ee-do-so...the roo & ee sounds are pronounced rapidly together. The do & so also sound like the notes above...in english the o's are long vowels.

Los Lunas...the o in Los would sound like the "do" in the notes above...have you ever heard someone say, "no" in spanish, well that is the sound you're looking for. Lunas...Lu is loo & the 'a' in the last part of Lunas also sounds like the "...fa, & la..." from the musical notes.

Rebecca

Old 07-29-2008, 02:16 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,178,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmguy View Post
How about trying to pronounce the name of the little town in Mexico that's called Parangaricutirimícuaro? ;-)
It's a tongue twister.....the locals in Michoacan just call it Paran...like they shorten Erongaricuaro to Eron. That Purepecha language is full of names like that.
Though it's not often mispronounced, I've always liked the simple town name Pie Town.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:38 PM

68 posts, read 257,075 times
I pronounce the words as they are supposed to be pronounced. And, I do it intentionally...I'm Spanish, I'm a native New Mexican and I love the Spanish language. Besides, I know others are listening and I'd want for them to learn the correct pronunciation. I can understand that it can be difficult for some to pronounce certain words, but I usually see a geniune effort and it's most appreciated.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:30 PM

74 posts, read 268,379 times
San Jon
Simple but still mispronounced by lots of I-40 travelers.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:52 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,956 times
it sounds like everyone pronounces Ruidoso -roo-ee-do-so, I guess Im the only one on here that pronounces it Ree-uh-do-so, anyone on here from Ruidoso that can tell us how the local say it.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:35 AM

203 posts, read 714,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
Whoo hoo! I pronounce Ruidoso like JECC does. I was beginning to feel left out here...

Ya'll may have your names... but who can compete with Lick Skillet, Ky? Or with some roads around here... Crackerneck, Tater Valley, Little Tater Valley, Froglevel... lol
I lived for spell in Frog Level, NC- out between Dodson's Crossroads and Hillsboro in Orange Cty (north of Saxapahaw). RRR, you tellin' me there's a Frog Level in Kentucky. I find it hard to believe there's more than one place that down low.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:45 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,248,814 times
lol, Sorry. Froglevel is in TN. So are the other places I mentioned. Lick Skillet is the only one in Ky from that list.

We either name roads really WEIRD things around here, or else after someone.
Bud Hawkins Road, etc.

Someone once commented that they had seen several road signs near bridges but no roads. We name bodies of water too. They were reading the creek signs! lol

Old 07-30-2008, 07:56 AM

576 posts, read 2,307,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc23 View Post
I lived for spell in Frog Level, NC- out between Dodson's Crossroads and Hillsboro in Orange Cty (north of Saxapahaw). RRR, you tellin' me there's a Frog Level in Kentucky. I find it hard to believe there's more than one place that down low.
Lower than Frog Level and more disgusting than Lick Skillet = Toad Suck, AR. (Thank you, CD Forum, for allowing me the opportunity to throw this into the discussion. I have to wait for years at a time to find a chance to play the Toad Suck conversational card).

Back to New Mexico--can anyone tell me how to pronounce To'hajiilee? It's located west of Albuquerque.

~clairz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico