Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 04:28 PM

576 posts, read 2,307,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigduly View Post
I have more stories I could tell. Has anyone ever heard a ghost cry?
Go on please, I'm listening!

~clairz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 07:53 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairz View Post

~clairz

you should google something about New Mexico witchcraft and you can find some books on these local stories, There are all kinds of stories in Northern NM in the little Spanish villages about witches and also skinwalkers on the reservations.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:56 PM

37 posts, read 190,484 times
Default My only weird Res experience

I'm the kind of person who doesn't have weird experiences with ghosts and the like, but one time when I was a teenager and a boy scout we were staying at the Navajo boarding school in Fort Wingate (near Gallup). It was in December and sometime in the evening we looked out the windows in the wing of the building we were staying at and saw that it was snowing. Throughout the rest of the evening we would look out the window to see if it was still snowing while we played. One of these times I looked out and saw a person walking out in the snow. I told my friends and we all quickly got flashlights and shined at the person. From what I could see, it looked like a older Navajo man very well bundled up and walking along the side of our building. As he got close to our window, we all turned our flashlights off and hid so he wouldn't see us. When we looked out the window (assuming he would have passed by then) there was noboby outside. We then ran outside and saw footprints in the snow that suddenly stopped. I've never been able to come up with any explanation other than he just disappeared.
I don't doubt the existence of a lot of things that are reported to happen on the res and I love hearing skinwalker stories. Keep them coming.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:39 PM

576 posts, read 2,307,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
you should google something about New Mexico witchcraft and you can find some books on these local stories, There are all kinds of stories in Northern NM in the little Spanish villages about witches and also skinwalkers on the reservations.
Sure, I've done that and continue to do so, but I really treasure these stories coming from the people who've lived them. It just adds an incredible dimension to what I'm learning about our state.

~clairz

Old 08-01-2008, 06:57 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,111 times
Interesting stuff, and cool stories, y'all! Keep 'em coming!

Old 08-04-2008, 02:03 AM

170 posts, read 648,698 times
I am not really familiar with this legend as I'm not Navajo, but strangely enough a lot of the things that I read from that article basically made a light bulb go off in my head. So after reading that wiki post about skin-walkers....a LOT of things that my cousin has told me about my dad is starting to make sense. I haven't seen him since I was 9 and actually my cousin knows him better than I do (he lived with my aunt and my cousins for a few years after my parents got divorced). Maybe it's a good thing I didn't grow up with him in the house. And to those of you who are going out hunting for ghosts and such on reservations.....don't mess with what you don't know, sure you may not believe in some of the stories it doesn't mean there aren't things out there that you don't understand. For example the San Jacinto mountains where my tribe is located in SoCal, has plenty of stories of hikers that climbed Tahquitz mountain and never returned and their bodies are found in strange positions (such as just sitting on a rock, dead). Anyone from my tribe knows not to go up those mountains since an evil Shaman named Tahquitz lives there and is known to eat souls of tribal members (and maybe a hiker or two). I know some of you don't believe in this stuff (though of course it seems a lot of you are willing to as well) but too many stories have been told to me and too many things have happened to make me believe that things we don't really understand exist.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:22 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppybunn View Post
I And to those of you who are going out hunting for ghosts and such on reservations.....don't mess with what you don't know, sure you may not believe in some of the stories it doesn't mean there aren't things out there that you don't understand.....I know some of you don't believe in this stuff (though of course it seems a lot of you are willing to as well).....too many things have happened to make me believe that things we don't really understand exist.
I tend to agree with this.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:29 AM

127 posts, read 555,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairz View Post

~clairz
Ghost tend to cry whenever someone dies or when it's raining. It's like a heavy toned moan. The strangest I've heard a ghost cry happened several weeks ago. We were attending a wake for my grandma. We were standing outside at about 3 in the morning. And suddenly we could hear this loud moaning coming from the cemetery area. We figured it was coyotes, but after the moaning started the coyotes started howling. Then another moan came from within the village cemetery. Then we heard some more moaning coming from the west. We believe our heavens are towards the west of the reservation. All the moaning startled the dogs. And they too started howling. This happened for a good three minutes. Then the moaning suddenly stopped and all the howling stopped. The moaning and howling stopped at the same time. I had goosebumps for about ten minutes

Old 08-05-2008, 06:38 PM

11 posts, read 39,714 times
Wow, love the stories, I live in East Central Minnesota, out in the country. When I go out to check the horses I often hear the coyotes yelping. It always gives me a start and if it is an exceptionally dark night, somewhat creepy.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:35 PM

70 posts, read 214,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigduly View Post
Little people!!! Not dwarfs, tiny people. People were encountering these tiny people at night around the plaza area. One story comes from four witnesses. The witnesses were leaving their fraternal house (not college fraternities, but religious fraternities) They got into the car, when one of them saw a tiny person standing on the hood of another car. At first they didn't know what it was. But it hopped of the car and went running towards the church. They got out of the car and watched it, till they lost sight of it. They got into the car and went to go drop each other off. Later that next day word got out about this tiny person, during cooking time at the shalako houses. It is believed that there is a village under the plaza area. If you go to mesa verde and see the dwellings. You would see that the doors where short. After the stories got out. The local housing renovation program began demoing a house near the plaza. The works tore down the house, right down to it's foundation. When they began to dig the foundation, they went at least three more feet down. That's when they uncovered one foot tunnels going different ways. They took pictures and then covered the tunnels. It's been awhile since any sightings have been reported. There is also the story of the stealth bomber that crashed on the mesas. People think it's a cover up story. People around here believe it was a UFO. Witnesses reported hearing a explosion, but no sound of airplane noise before the crash. From the crash site, it is about three miles from the nearest house. And this happened around 11pm. That next morning military vehicles came from all directions sealing of three miles each direction from the crash site. We didn't see any stealth bomber wreckage pass through the village. All we saw were container trucks coming in and out. Large trucks hauling something heavily wrapped. The military was at that site for months. After that no one was allowed to go near the site. It is still red taped where the crash occurred. When news reports came out, there where no reports of the pilots dying or ejecting from the bomber. I have more stories I could tell. Has anyone ever heard a ghost cry?
bigduly, I just heard about this plane crash this week. The wife of the pilot was suposed to have visited the rez. The remains of the plane were shown to her? You are not allowed on the site because of what was on the plane? It was discusses at the museum by a new teacher. She had read about it on the net. bacich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico