Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2007, 11:01 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times

Advertisements

I tried making posole out of blue corn and it took almost 3 days off and on to soften and when I make the white corn it only takes overnight,has anyone else tried the blue corn for posole.

I made some blue corn pancakes and they were great,I got the mix from Smiths, the mix was from some company I think in Santa Fe, I could be wrong, when I was in Farmington the lady I knew made me blue corn cakes,they were kinda like flat corn bread,I guess its what the Navajos make,it was the first time Ive ever seen that.

What about Fried bread any recipes for that,Ive tried em at the state fair but they are even better when there fresh off the navajo rez.

All of these are included in New Mexican food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 11:39 PM

4 posts, read 33,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I tried making posole out of blue corn and it took almost 3 days off and on to soften and when I make the white corn it only takes overnight,has anyone else tried the blue corn for posole.

I made some blue corn pancakes and they were great,I got the mix from Smiths, the mix was from some company I think in Santa Fe, I could be wrong, when I was in Farmington the lady I knew made me blue corn cakes,they were kinda like flat corn bread,I guess its what the Navajos make,it was the first time Ive ever seen that.

What about Fried bread any recipes for that,Ive tried em at the state fair but they are even better when there fresh off the navajo rez.

All of these are included in New Mexican food.
I love fried cornbread.
mix a batch of your favorite corn bread, add 1/2 - 3/4 cup additional liquid.
Using a cast iron skillet or griddle,pour as if you were making pancakes.
they are good with stews, soups, also good with syrup. You can also cook them using a waffle iron.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:53 PM

741 posts, read 2,922,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXICAN View Post
I love fried cornbread.
mix a batch of your favorite corn bread, add 1/2 - 3/4 cup additional liquid.
Using a cast iron skillet or griddle,pour as if you were making pancakes.
they are good with stews, soups, also good with syrup. You can also cook them using a waffle iron.
Fried cornbread ≠ Indian fry bread. Blasphemy...

Chap

Old 10-28-2007, 09:52 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,026,689 times
I have a fried bread recipe that I copied from the Albuquerque newspaper years and years ago when we lived there. I have been making this recipe since 1970 .... it's easy and my whole family loves it.

Navajo Fried Bread

4 cups flour
4 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp salt
water

Mix all the dry ingredients together

Add water gradually until you get a soft dough that is not too sticky to handle (but not real stiff either).

Divide into 8 pieces of equal size.

Pat out on a lightly floured surface (or between your hands) into round shapes 6 inches by 1/4 inches. Poke a hole in the center to allow the oil to fry the center. (You don't want it to puff up like sopapillas.)

Fry in hot lard (I use cooking oil) and flip once until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Eat while hot. Drizzle with honey or sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. YUMMMMM.

*This recipe is easy to double or to halve.

**The recipe in the newspaper called this bread "Dah Diniilghaazh". I don't know if that is a correct name or not.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:49 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,002,068 times
Default Food, food

I will post one soon. CrackerJack, check out my post re living in Grants.
We have been here for a while now and are building down by Fence Lake.
Love the area.
A couple good little restaurants here: La Ventana, and First Street Cafe.

Blue sky day....

I am becoming somewhat of an novice "expert"?? about NM.
Great state....
Not for everyone...

Happy trails,
Hunter...stay tuned for receipies, keep this thread going.

oh, went to the Chile festival in Hatch, great time..

Old 10-28-2007, 11:16 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times
I love the fry bread with just salt,its a meal in its self.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I love the fry bread with just salt,its a meal in its self.
Or melting butter!

Old 12-02-2007, 05:52 PM

2 posts, read 5,092 times
Default Cathy4017

I am a seventh generation native Santa Fean having made the biggest mistake of my life moving to Texas! Currently I live in Midlothian, about 25 miles south of Dallas, and have been unable to find any Bueno products especially posole. Any suggestions? Is there a chain that sells it? I'll take fresh or dry I am so desperate.

Thanks!

Last edited by frasn501; 12-02-2007 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: Bad grammar!

Old 12-13-2007, 10:59 AM

2 posts, read 5,092 times
Anyone? Any word on where I might find chili in the DFW metroplex area? Dried or fresh. Please help, I want to serve on Christmas Eve as is traditional. Thanks.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:21 PM

frasn501 ~

I am not in the DFW area, but I visit my daughter down there several times a year. I think I have seen Bueno Products at Central Market, but it may have been some time ago. Maybe you could call them and see if they have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico