Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2009, 09:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,765 times

Advertisements

I will be visiting Santa Fe this next weekend so my mom can finalize things at Saint Francis Cathedral. She was born in Santa Fe and I grew up on Hatch green chili and Chimayo red chili. "The Best" I have usually gone to visit relatives in Albuquerque and bought burlap bags of chili there. Unfortunately I haven't been able to do that the last few years and my contacts are no longer there. I can't remember where we use to go buy the chili, I loved doing that so I could mix hot with medium and that came out really good for me. Can anyone help? I need to know where to go to buy Hatch green chili in Albuquerque. Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 11:18 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,914,518 times
Default Bottled Red and Green Chile Salsa and Recipes

Can anyone recommend a bottled green chile? I'm thinking I'd like to send some to family and friends, but I wasn't entirely satisfied with the ones I've tried. I thought Monroe's Roasted Green Chile, or whatever it says on the label, was okay, but I wonder if there are any better brands. And the bottled red chile I've tried (I don't remember brands) seemed even less satisfactory.

Or should I stick to sending local bottled salsas, many of which are excellent.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:44 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,904,559 times
The produce depts. of all grocery stores should be selling this year's crop by now. Walmart usually has a roaster on the parking lot where they also sell the roasted ones in bulk. Shouldn't be hard to find roadside stands selling them by the bag also.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:17 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,592,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Valley Gal View Post
[SIZE=3]NEW MEXICAN GREEN CHILE STEW[/SIZE]

Repaired:

Quote:
NEW MEXICAN GREEN CHILE STEW

In a heavy bottomed stock pot sauté two roughly chopped onions and lots and lots of garlic in half-and-half butter and olive oil until the onions are translucent. Add 2 or 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces, and sauté for about 5 minutes more.

Add 2 pounds cubed boneless pork, and sauté until the meat is no longer pink, turning and stirring as the meat cooks – don’t brown the pork, just get it started cooking. Cubed stew beef or ground beef, pork, or combination can be used as well. Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.

Add 1 pound chopped roasted peeled green chile (frozen or canned if you can’t find local fresh), and one medium can of chopped tomatoes with the juice (not pureed tomatoes). Add enough chicken stock to fill up the pot (usually 2 or 3 medium cans) and stir up all the brown bits from the bottom of the pot. Season with lots of chopped fresh parsley, and add half as much basil (fresh or dried) as you did parsley. Do not use oregano – basil is what gives it the authentic New Mexico taste. Check for seasoning, and add more salt and pepper as needed. Sprinkle on some ground chipotle chile – not too much, just enough to give it that wonderful smoky taste, about half a teaspoon. Or add a whole dried chipotle chile or two, which should be removed before serving.

Partially cover and simmer for 1-2 hours. Add more stock or water if it boils down too much; it should be the consistency of a very dense soup when you’re finished.

Best served with corn bread (or warmed tortillas) and very cold Mexican beer (Corona!). Both will help to cut the heat of the green chile a little.

As wonderful as this is the day you make it, it also gets better with age. The flavors blend, the chile cools a little, and the chipotle flavor gets deeper and smokier. It can also be cooked down until it’s very thick and used as a filling for burritos or as a topping on nachos. The addition of grated cheese and/or sour cream makes it very rich and scrumptious.

Enjoy.

==============

I've lived in NM for 13 years now, and started asking the locals for their Green Chile Stew recipes as soon as I got here - this is a compilation of all of them. People who are native to NM have told me I could open a restaurant on the strength of my GCS alone. I don't say this to brag (well... maybe just a LITTLE), just to establish the provenance of the recipe. Go for it.

Rich

Old 08-22-2009, 06:57 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,234,317 times
Well, there is 505 brand bottled green chile which is a sauce. It's so-so from this veteran's perspective but then again I'm picky and it is a bottled product.

This is my advice. The Frontier offers a service by which they will send certain New Mexico food products (i.e. green chile, red chile) by UPS to the U.S. destination of your choice. This is done not at The Frontier, but at the nearby UPS store at Central/Yale. The chile they offer is standard Bueno brand, a real pre-roasted, pre-chopped green chile that is probably used by about half of the popular New Mexico restaurants in town. Then, send your friends/relatives some good recipes and ideas (f.e. green chile stew, green chile cheeseburgers, asf.)

The nice thing about using the UPS/Frontier service is that you simply go into the store and make an order and they send it. No need to get your hands dirty, and it's the real thing, not some off-the-shelf pre-prepared salsa that will be more limited in its applications than the pure, good stuff from Bueno.

ABQConvict

Old 08-22-2009, 07:57 PM

5,431 posts, read 29,162,121 times
Santa Fe Hot and Spicy Recipe by Joan Stromquist
Permalink: Amazon.com: Santa Fe Hot and Spicy Recipe (9780962280757): Joan Stromquist: Books

I have a whole row of New Mexico cookbooks..this is my favorite

Old 08-22-2009, 09:55 PM

107 posts, read 273,577 times
A very simple one, but very good. Saute chicken strips, then add a can of trader joes green chiles and heat thru.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:31 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,656,005 times
La Casera is by far the best brand of salsa, rancho sauce and green chili salsa. You will find it in the mexican food section of your local market.
Green chili salsa is not difficult to make yourself. It only has about 5 ingredients. Look up some recipes on the net. Just remember. the hotter chilies have more curved stems. The less hot have straighter stems.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:04 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,904,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The chile they offer is standard Bueno brand, a real pre-roasted, pre-chopped green chile that is probably used by about half of the popular New Mexico restaurants in town.
I use the Bueno FROZEN chopped green chile, but wouldn't have a clue how to ship it since it is frozen. Not sure if thawing and refreezing is feasible, or how long the thawed chile would last without molding or ???

I really like the Bueno "Autumn Roast" chopped roasted chile. I use it all the time when making my "famous" (among friends/family) chile conqueso.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:36 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,652,599 times
I'm glad this thread got bumped up. I've seen the green chiles around since we've arrived, and had absolutely NO idea what to do with them.

I had Green Chile Stew here once so far, and was surprised that it was not hot at all -- no bite. Is it supposed to have some heat? It was good, but I'd like it to have some bite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico