Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2009, 01:49 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,034,599 times

Advertisements

Canned chile is like light beer; it's a vaguely chile-flavored
vegetable substance with something like a bell pepper burn.
(Light beer is a vaguely beer-flavored beverage that is carbonated.)

I don't know what shipping whole fresh chiles cost, but
shipping frozen tubs of chile from Bueno Foods or some
other Albuquerque chile processing companies is reasonable.

Order a lot at a time to average out the shipping cost.

(Frozen chile is like a good microbrew.)

(Fresh chile is like beer on tap.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 07:47 AM

61 posts, read 128,943 times
Thanks for fixing my recipe above - I didn't know how to do it myself.

I'm about to rev up the first batch of green chile stew for the Equinox later on this month and I'm psyched!

South Valley Gal

Old 09-03-2009, 08:45 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,000,094 times
Reminder:

There is a very extensive thread of New Mexico Recipes HERE.

Maybe you could post the Black Bean Chile Soup recipe there. It's nice to have one thread to go to when we are looking for NM recipes.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:06 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,798,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
....Since I can't find dried posole (except online to order), I often use canned hominy. The dried posole is much better!

Enjoy!!

Thanks for the frybread recipe. Is it like sopapillas??
Almost 3 years after this post, I have since changed my mind about dried/frozen posole......I made it yesterday--again--and I'm getting to the point where I prefer canned hominy instead!

Old 11-13-2009, 05:14 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,572,644 times
If I cannot get to New Mexico, I'll cook New Mexico to me!

Thanks for all these wonderful ideas.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:03 AM

4 posts, read 20,923 times
Born and raised in Albuquerque, Now in Texas and this Tex-Mex stuff is for the birds! I'd give anything for some sopa's and green chile........yummy yum! Yes, Pancho's did have some darn good sopa's.....give me some honey and back up...OMG I can taste them now.....cry, wimper...

Old 03-21-2010, 09:15 PM

8 posts, read 38,674 times
The best sopapillas castilliano I ever had were in Albuquerque's Old Town 40 years ago. My Dead's friend Dale Elliot had the fancy ancient adobe building with the huge old tree growing out of the Dining room center. It was exclusive with the most authentic of Latin foods.

These sopapilias used the traditional recipes using yeast insted of baking powder and were shaped differently. The dough was rolled out to about !/4 " thick and cut into 4 inch squares. Then, the dough was folded over to make a triangle. At this point you press the open ends to gether to seal the eges of "the little pillow."

Fry them as usual on each side until light brown and the insides fill with the hot gases puffing out even more making neat little balloons. Then, I think they brushed with egg whites and baked a little bit more making the most golden crescent / dinner roll like crust.

Served with butter and honey they were the desert with after dinner coffee. Heavenly they were.

Courtesy of Dennis in Tucson, AZ.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:15 PM

68 posts, read 454,770 times
Panchos closed down?

Old 04-26-2010, 10:32 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,767,921 times
Going to be heading through Albuquerque in the next week or so, and stocking up on El Pinto Red Chile and Garcia's Kitchen Red Chile (a little stronger than El Pinto's) sauces. We have plenty of adequate green chile sauces. It seems we also have just about every variety of salsa that El Pinto bottles, even their green chile sauce. The one that is missing is the red. Unbelieveable. The managers of the grocery stores that carry El Pinto, say that the distributor can't get the red chile sauce in this region. It is just not available. The only red chile sauce that I can find here is Old El Paso, Hatch, and Bueno, which is only so so. My favorite red is from the restaurant in Santa Fe - The Shed. It is rich in flavor and hot. But at $7 a 16oz bottle at the restaurant, it's pricey when you want a case.

We actually have a Weck's here just outside of Dallas. I don't know how we got one here. According to their website, it is the only one outside of the Albuquerque area. I have yet to try it. They will sell it by the half gallon. Still pricey at $6.00 / pint. Wow - looking at their menu online, they really believe in fattening you up.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:01 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,549,958 times
The Albertson's grocery stores seem to have the biggest variety of salsa's/Chile, I noticed they also have their own brand of roasted/chopped green chili's

Yes, Wecks will feed you well. We do not go often (I still have a weight problem) and when we go it is usually during the week, when it's not so crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico