U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 04:21 PM

3,059 posts, read 6,339,736 times

Advertisements

I have always had green chile stew with chunks of pork, so that is the first recipe I am going to try ..... as soon as I can find some green chile somewhere here in Kansas that is not in cans!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2006, 01:37 AM

828 posts, read 3,519,335 times
Greatdanes, your recipe was fantastic, I loved it! I made enough for several meals. Thanks again!

Cathy, I will try yours next time. Thanks for adding your great recipe too!

Old 11-21-2006, 07:47 AM

Dilemma:

So here I am ... supposed to be starting Thanksgiving cooking today .... but all I want to make is green chile stew.....both versions!

Old 11-21-2006, 11:59 AM

75 posts, read 303,156 times
Smile Glad you enjoyed the chili stew.

Glad you enjoyed the chili stew Crackerjack. I started that receipe 25 years ago and everyone seems to like it that I have served it to.

Old 11-21-2006, 01:38 PM

9,015 posts, read 12,320,811 times
I just have a personal aversion to cooking with ground meat of any kind, but that's just me.

LOL!! Mine works well with any kind of cubed meat....I'm just too lazy to do all the extra work!! There is ONE meat I NEVER use....already-cubed stew meat. If I'm going to use beef I have to cut up, it's going to be sirloin, tenderloin, London broil...et al.

Cubed pork tastes better in any case, IMHO!

Old 11-21-2006, 08:36 PM

75 posts, read 303,156 times
Default I like cooking so

cutting fresh meat isn't a problem. I agree with Cathy and I don't buy pre cut cubes. For the stew I usually get a lean 3 lb roast or something thick pork chops, like a butterfly cut. I've also used tenderloin for people who have to be careful of their fat intake.

Old 11-22-2006, 09:30 AM

Default Smoky Ranch Style Beans

This is from an old issue of Chile Pepper Magazine, which was once published in ABQ. It has been a favorite.

3 dried chipotle peppers, soaked 30 minutes in 1 cup of hot water
2 cups of dried pinto beans, soaked overnight, drain.
2 large tomatoes, chopped, or 1 14-oz can of diced tomatoes
1 chopped onion
2-3 minced cloves of garlic
1/4 tsp comino
1 tsp salt, optional

Cover soaked beans with fresh water. Add chiles, onions, garlic and comino. Cook until beans are soft. Add tomatoes and salt, cook a few minutes more.

You can also saute the onions, garlic and comino in a little oil/bacon grease....add water and beans to this and continue. It gives it a little more flavor.

Serve hot beans with jack cheese grated over.

Old 11-22-2006, 09:42 AM

Default Posole

1 cup of dried posole, OR 1 30-oz can of hominy
5-6 cups of water
1.5 lbs of finely diced (or ground) pork
2 chopped onions
2-3 minced cloves of garlic
6 TB ground red chile (pure chile powder with no additives works best).
1/2 tsp Mexican oregano
2 tsp salt
1-2 TB oil/lard/bacon grease

If using dried posole, cook in 5-6 cups of water about 5-6 hours until the kernels start to pop. Bring water level to at least 7 cups. If using canned hominy, just add with the rest of the ingredients.

Brown pork in oil, add onion/garlic/comino, and sauté until soft. Add remaining ingredients, simmer a couple of minutes, then scrape this into water with posole/hominy.

Bring to boil, lower heat, cover, and simmer 2 hours.

For those on low-fat, skip the oil/sauteeing part.

Old 11-22-2006, 10:05 AM

Cathy:

Thanks for the posole recipe! I brought some dried hominy back with me from NM in September .... I am going to make posole and green chile stew this weekend! yummmm....

Old 11-22-2006, 11:06 AM

I got this recipe from the Albuquerque newspaper in 1970 when I lived there. It has been a staple in my kitchen ever since. I make it to go with soup, chili, etc.

Dah Diniilghaazh
(Navajo Fried Bread)

4 cups flour
4 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
water

Add enough water to dry ingredients to make soft dough that is not sticky. Work dough until pliable.

Divide into 8 equal portions.

Pat each portion between hands to make 7" circles. Poke a hole in center of each circle.

Fry in very hot oil in skillet until golden brown.

Serve hot ... with butter .... or cinnamon and sugar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico