Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2006, 07:07 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,806,698 times

Advertisements

CJ:
I envy your dad. I haven't been to Durango in 20 years, and have been told I'll barely recognize the place, LOL!!!

But....as long as I'm up there, I will look at both places, and also Aztec/Bloomfield, et al. I am also hoping that off-season buying (as opposed to high-season late spring and summer) will mean that prices will be a little better.

Our market here is so tight that I can probably get a good price any time of the year, but that also remains to be seen.

Thanks for the suggestions! Much appreciated!

The upside to Farmington is that they don't get a lot of snow, so I won't be shoveling it all winter...and can get away to snow and mountains when I want!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2006, 03:07 AM

827 posts, read 5,068,548 times
Yes Cathy, Durango has really grown! So has Farmington! I thought I'd put post one more recipe on here before I go. It is a great Mexican pot roast. Yum! After going to ABQ for a couple of months, I am plunging in and moving to Durango. You can read on the Moriarty thread about it, but this is my last post. I wont be using a computer. Thanks to all who have posted recipes and keep doing so! Good Luck Cathy! Thanks all!

Mexican Pot Roast [slow cooker]

Servings: 4 to 6

1 teaspoon [5 mL] oil
1 [3-pound / 1.5 kg] boneless pot roast [cross rib, round, blade or rump roast]
1 scrubbed potato, per person
1 scrubbed or peeled carrot, per person
1 cup [250 mL] chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup [250 mL] chopped tomatoes, fresh or drained canned
1/2 cup [125 mL] water
1 teaspoon [5 mL] oregano
1/2 teaspon [2.5 mL] cumin
1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] salt
1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons [30 mL] cornstarch [optional]

Heat oil in a large skillet.
Add roast; brown well on all sides.
Place roast in slow cooker.
Arrange potatoes and carrots around it.
In the same pan, cook onions and garlic until soft and lightly browned.
Add tomatoes, water, oregano, cumin, salt and cayenne; simmer gently for 5 minutes.
Pour into slow cooker, over meat.
Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, until beef and vegetables are tender.
Transfer meat and vegetables to a platter; cover and keep warm in a preheated 200°F
[93°C] oven.
Pour accumulated juices from slow cooker into a small saucepan; bring to boil.
Boil the juices gently until reduced and thickened, or add cornstarch and boil gently until thickened.
Pour over meat and vegetables and serve.

Thanks to Ben, New Mexico, USA
from therecipebox

Last edited by Crackerjack; 11-30-2006 at 03:45 AM..

Old 11-30-2006, 11:43 AM

2 posts, read 9,364 times
Towanda,

If you live in the Wichita area you can get freshly roasted Hatch chilis at Johnsons Garden Centers. They roast them while you wait and they're usually available in August and September.....I bought a whole bushel of 'em and froze them in two pound ziplock bags....In fact i'm gonna make some green chili stew today since it looks like were going to get about a foot of snow!

Have fun!

Old 11-30-2006, 12:02 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,003,303 times
Hey, Firecracker! Thanks for the info. I am in the Kansas City area, but Wichita is just a couple hours away. (I am going to store away that tip about Johnson Garden Center...just in case we are still here in Kansas next year at chile time.)

Usually we try to get down to Dallas to visit my daughter in the early fall, and there are places there that we can get fresh (or roasted) Hatch chile. But Wichita would be a heck of a lot closer.

We're waiting for snow too .... none yet...

Old 12-07-2006, 02:40 PM

2 posts, read 6,761 times
I have been reading your messages and love your enthusiasm for new Mexico food. There are alot of restaurants in Santa Fe, NM that have altered "traditional" recipes. Native New Mexicans do not use black beans or oregano in their food, nor do we tradtionally make fish tacos. I have two dessert recipes that I will share with you tomorrow. One is Natillas which is a custard and another is empanaditas. When I say empanaditas I don't mean fruit filled pastry. this is made with beef tongue and pinion. Is anyone interested?

Old 12-23-2006, 05:14 PM

167 posts, read 597,356 times
Pinon shortbread spice cookies: Very New Mexico!

Its cookie time so I made these today and they are yummy yet a bit crumbly

2 cups unbleached flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup pinon nuts or other pine nuts
2 teaspoons canela or 1 1/2 cups ground cinnamon
pinch of kosher sea salt
1 cup chilled unsalted butter cut into tablespoon sized pieces.

1. preheat oven to 300

2. In a food processor, combine the flour, sugar, nuts, spice, and salt. Pulse 10 times to combine ingredients and to coarsely chop nuts. Add the butter and blend until mixture comes together to a ball. (at this point the dough may be wrapped in plastic and refrigerated for up to 2 days)

3. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out dough about 1/2 inch thick. Using a 2 inch round cookie cutter, cut out cookies until the dough is used up.

4. Place the cutouts on baking sheet and bake in batches until slightly puffed and firm but not browned, about 45 minutes. Transfer baking sheet to a rack and let cool for 10 minutes then transfer cookies to the rack and cool completely and enjoy.

Makes about 20 or so cookies.

Old 12-28-2006, 05:36 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,806,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecumtha View Post
There are alot of restaurants in Santa Fe, NM that have altered "traditional" recipes. Native New Mexicans do not use black beans or oregano in their food, nor do we tradtionally make fish tacos. I have two dessert recipes that I will share with you tomorrow. One is Natillas which is a custard and another is empanaditas. When I say empanaditas I don't mean fruit filled pastry. this is made with beef tongue and pinion. Is anyone interested?
Of course we are.....always interested in FOOD!!! I have noticed that most so-called "southwestern" restaurants do have black beans on the menu. I learned to love them in central Mexico, and eat both black and pinto (which are probably the most common bean in NM, too, if I'm not mistaken).

Would really like to see your recipes, please...

Old 12-28-2006, 07:34 AM

BlueRose:

The piñon shortbread spice cookies sound very good .... and very New Mexico. I am going to print this recipe and put it with my Christmas cookie recipes for next year.

Thanks!

Old 12-28-2006, 07:39 AM

P.S. Hey BlueRose:

I don't know what "canela" is.

And surely this recipe doesn't call for 1 1/2 CUPS of cinnamon!!

Old 12-28-2006, 08:03 AM

167 posts, read 597,356 times
Towanda you are right, I must have been tired when i wrote this out. Its 1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico