U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 09:00 AM

2,588 posts, read 1,784,467 times

Advertisements

My wife and I came to T or C in November of 2005. We've bounced from campground to campground, and have settled in a rv park in T or C, and will be our 3rd. winter here. We'd like to move on, but, with fuel prices the way they are right now, I think we're stuck here for awhile.
I am wondering, if, because of higher fuel costs, if this might be a factor for snowbirds that have come to southwest New Mexico in the past, to just not travel at all this fall. Most people who prefer to winter here because of the climate, may not have the money to spend to do that now. If there are any snowbirds reading my thread, are you planning to travel to leave the cold of the northern states this fall or winter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 10:02 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,503,881 times
The inflation in travel costs (airline, hotels, food) has canceled our summer trip to NM this year. I hope to make it next summer because I want to experience the heat so we can decide if a complete move or a snowbird arrangement is likely. I was really looking forward to this visit because it has been over five years and the memories are still fresh.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:30 PM

265 posts, read 763,000 times
I too have a delayed a trip to NM over the last year or so due to high travel costs. However, I do plan to try and make the trip this January to see the area in winter. Right now the cost of gas here in Illinois has dropped from a high of about $4.10 down to $3.65 right now. I am hoping that by January the price will be closer to $3 per gallon which would make it more affordable to travel. I would also think the cost of motels will be lower due to the recession. If so that would make the trip easier cost wise. Otherwise , I would just stay home here in Illinois once again.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:49 PM

20,005 posts, read 67,910,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james57 View Post
I too have a delayed a trip to NM over the last year or so due to high travel costs. However, I do plan to try and make the trip this January to see the area in winter. Right now the cost of gas here in Illinois has dropped from a high of about $4.10 down to $3.65 right now. I am hoping that by January the price will be closer to $3 per gallon which would make it more affordable to travel. I would also think the cost of motels will be lower due to the recession. If so that would make the trip easier cost wise. Otherwise , I would just stay home here in Illinois once again.
You must be in southern IL? Im still paying $4.30 for premium here in Chicagoland.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:48 PM

1,063 posts, read 2,654,595 times
Most will come back, in my opinion.. The thought of spending the winter in the midwest where it can be so cold, windy and drive on ice, doesn't thrill many. When you figure the added cost of a gallon of fuel in the whole picture its not that much. My car takes 4 fill ups to get from Alamo to Illinois, at 80 gallons, and the difference between $3 and $4 a gallon its only $80 one way. Would that amount stop you? Now this is my opinion..
Steve-O, Jim lives near the Rock River, even if its still "downstate".

Old 08-06-2008, 05:48 PM

550 posts, read 1,375,648 times
Question How Far??

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilegal View Post
Most will come back, in my opinion.. The thought of spending the winter in the Midwest where it can be so cold, windy and drive on ice, doesn't thrill many. When you figure the added cost of a gallon of fuel in the whole picture its not that much. My car takes 4 fill ups to get from Alamo to Illinois, at 80 gallons, and the difference between $3 and $4 a gallon its only $80 one way. Would that amount stop you? Now this is my opinion..
Steve-O, Jim lives near the Rock River, even if its still "downstate".
Jane, Curious how far is it from Timberon to your place in IL.
We are 620 to here in TX.

David

Old 08-06-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeweld View Post
Jane, Curious how far is it from Timberon to your place in IL.
We are 620 to here in TX.

David
Its 1250 from Alamo, so add on about 65 miles... Its a 2 day trip for us.
Had a great visit with your MIL... she is sending me her green tomato relish recipe...I will be busy with that...
Jane

Old 08-06-2008, 06:53 PM

550 posts, read 1,375,648 times
Thumbs up Tomato Relish

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilegal View Post
Its 1250 from Alamo, so add on about 65 miles... Its a 2 day trip for us.
Had a great visit with your MIL... she is sending me her green tomato relish recipe...I will be busy with that...
Jane
Dang I did not realize it was that far! Y'all be careful. Don't you just love the tomato relish. That and a bowl of black eyed peas and I'm in heaven!!

Old 08-06-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeweld View Post
Dang I did not realize it was that far! Y'all be careful. Don't you just love the tomato relish. That and a bowl of black eyed peas and I'm in heaven!!
I will be making some for Sandy, so you had best start begging her for it..
Jane

Old 08-07-2008, 04:59 AM

2,588 posts, read 1,784,467 times
Default $3.00 a gallon?

hi james57, it's just my opinion, but if you're waiting for gas to drop to 3 bucks a gallon you might have a long wait. I think that this lull in prices, rather the drop in prices is probably only temporary. but who knows, I am not an oil speculator. I don't think motels / hotels around T or C will be lowering their prices any time soon either. most of the ones in this area remain the same. still at the comfort inn in T or C, the price is 80 bucks a nite. there are cheaper ones around town, but you'll get what you pay for in the cheaper ones. meaning they're not as nice and clean. one of our friend posters said that it's only another 80 bucks more to drive from point A to B. I think once a person who leaves the Chicago area, they'll get cheaper gas on the road. my wife checked out gas buddy a few days ago and Springfield Missouri gas was $3.35 a gallon, while here in T or C, it's $3.92 per gallon, regular gas only, diesel is much costlier. you'll find that gas prices drop once you get out of Illinois, because Missouri, Oklahoma, and Texas have lower fuel taxes. we had friends drop by on their way to tucson, and stopped to check out the super 8 here in T or C, but it wasn't up to their expectations. not quite up to par, kind of run down.
there are several things a motorist can do to optomize fuel economy, make sure spark plugs are properly gapped, nice clean air filter, use the proper weight engine oil in your vehicle and make sure it's nice and clean with a fresh oil filter, make sure tires are properly inflated, remove anything that might create a drag from your vehicle such as a bike rack on the back, try to put luggage inside of the vehicle and not on the roof top carrier, try to drive past sundown, when the air temperature is much cooler, because engines like operating in cooler temperatures, and lastly, don't drive with any windows down, as this creates a drag, and can eat up precious mileage. one other thing that'll help fuel mileage, drive below the posted speed limits. it is a proven fact that if one drives at say 55-60 mph, as opposed to 65-75 mph, you will save gas! If you're not in a hurry, then slow down and save$$$.
Quote:
Originally Posted by james57 View Post

Last edited by highdesertmutz; 08-07-2008 at 05:01 AM.. Reason: wording
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or