U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 03:59 PM

71 posts, read 215,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud dweller View Post
Help,
I can read and have done extensive research on low humidity/sunshine and astma frindly conditions in Carlsbad,hower I would rather here it from people.I must get out of Pittsburgh[very humid,too many trees,wet all the time,50 loust sunny days a year]My wife has emphysema and I am asthmatic and we are in our 40's.Is Carlsbad,indeed dry and sunny year round?
cloud dweller, carlsbad is fairly dry most of the time. This year was somewhat an exception when there were more than 2-3 days worth of snow in the winter. It probably has one of the lowest humidity levels in the country - i.e its pretty much a desert. It also has many days of continuous sunshine, probably >300. The one drawback is the windy season, which is ongoing right now with wind gusts upto 50-60mph. Its completely sunny outside but the wind just blows you away! I am not sure how your asthma and emphysema will react to the climate here. Because of the wind, there is a lot of stuff, like pollen, getting blown around. Its still probably not as bad as being somewhere with high humidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2007, 06:15 AM

18 posts, read 86,147 times
Hello everyone, its been awhile.
I've been busy packing and getting everything ready for the move. I wanted to give an update. Well my husband loves his job in Hobbs and has been there for 3 weeks. He loves the people and said everyone is super friendly.
We did decide to stay over that way, you guys were right the commute would really wear him out.
Thats his mission this weekend is to check out the northern part of Hobbs and a few other towns like Tatum. The locals all told him to stay out of the southern part, they said there is quite a bit of crime. I guess in any town or city the crime is there and you just have to use common sense in where to go and not to.
He's going to start looking for land and we'll probably put up a modular. He's still living out of a hotel, oh joy. The people he's working with have all been looking around for us also which is a huge plus, no better help than the locals. He can't emphasize enough how friendly the people are.
The count down is on one month to go for the kids and I. We're really excited about the move and a new start. Thanks for everyones help and info about Carlsbad.
oohrah

Old 03-10-2007, 08:44 AM

3,060 posts, read 6,161,406 times
oohrah!

Well....happy to hear the move is underway...at least the packing and home-hunting. Good luck in finding the perfect place to live!

Keep us informed every step of the way!

Old 10-19-2007, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,198 times
Default Hey

Not sure what's wrong with Kbbhere, truthfully an idiot that doesn't know what he's talking about. My wife and I are about to relocate to the same area. I've gotten a good job in Artesia NM but Carlsbad is ton's nicer to live in. We've been there and have seen several homes. It's just an awesome place. The park, the Pecos River, Carlsbad Caverns, hiking trails near by, fishing, and close to nice locations you'd want to visit from time to time. We notices people are EXTREMELY nice. We have 3 small children and our research has shown some very nice schools exist. Also, there are several places of worship. There is little to no pollution, and there are some really cool shops to visit, for ex. my wife loves antiques!
We're coming from El Paso Tx and we are excited to move there.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:35 AM

3 posts, read 6,273 times
It is great to see questions about Hobbs, Carlsbad New Mexico. What do you think about living in Lovington and driving to Hobbs for work ? I am researching the area b/c I may be moving in the near future.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:37 AM

3 posts, read 6,273 times
Did you get a chance to drive through Hobbs ? I have been offered a job with a tremondous wage increase and decided to research the area. What I have found is no one likes Hobbs and Lovington or Carlsbad is the place to live.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:46 PM

5 posts, read 11,468 times
Default oohrah

Sorry we lost you to Hobbs but the commute is a consideration. If for some reason you change your mind you might look at houses on the far east side of canal street out by the bypass, there are some new houses out there and it would make commuting easier since he'd have no lights before getting on the highway. I commute to the south side of Artesia and live on the north side of Carlsbad so its only a 25 minute commute. Its not bad. A lot of times I enjoy it. I get my alone time or listen to the radio. It does use gas but is not comparable to commutes in crowded areas.

I love Carlsbad, and have lived lots of places. The ECEC (preschool-kindergarten) is great as are a number of elementary schools. It gets tougher as the kids get older but if you keep and eye on them and their friends they can turn out as well as they can anywhere. The church groups help. A lot of the kids go to youth groups at various churches around town. It gives them a place to go.

Regarding growth...I have mixed feelings. It is not a bad size the way it is. You do have to go out of town for major shopping. eg last year getting my daughter's Easter dress in town was a disaster. but it is one of the friendliest places I have ever lived. Until recently you could pay with checks everywhere. The bank people told me when I moved in that I could run my account into the red while I was getting settled if I needed it.

Housing is scarce. I still like the neighborhoods by the river on the north side. They are less dry (more established trees etc) than some of the newer neighborhoods. however if I had more money I would probably go to La Huerta (just east of the river) and get a few acres with pecan trees and enough room for a horse and some ducks. If you do visit check out the Playground on the Pecos, the riverboat tours especially at Christmas, the Living Desert State Park, the Community Playhouse and the drive-in in addition to the obvious things, the caverns and Guadalupe National Park. For New Mexican food, the green chile chicken enchiladas at the Pecos Cafe are great, but go very early for lunch. The Court Cafe has a good Navajo Taco (Native American Fry bread with beans and chile). The No-Whiner diner is great but for American not New Mexican. When you go to Cruces, I love the Plaza enchiladas at Peppers. Sorry we missed you. Good luck in Hobbs.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:02 PM

Default ngarcie

I am not fond of Hobbs but I have never lived there. I only pass through on my way to somewhere else. I also wasn't that impressed with Carlsbad the first time I passed through and now I love it so who knows.

It is growing fast and it seems like the growth is a good thing for Hobbs. You might want to also consider some of the smaller towns or a house in the country particularly if you don't have to worry about kids in school. You are right on the border with Texas so something on that side might be a consideration particularly if you want a lot of land, but look into tax issues---differences with income taxes (state tax in NM none in TX) and housing taxes--tend to be higher in Texas because there is no income tax.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:20 PM

Default carlsbadgonnabe

Welcome to the Pecos Valley. Have you moved to Carlsbad yet? Do you have any questions?

By the way in answer to an earlier question about weather, we average 10-12 inches of rain a year. Much of it comes in the monsoon season starting in August (weird to call it monsoon when there is so little rain but that's the official term). We have had more than average rainfall the last couple of years, thankfully, as we were in a prolonged drought. Humidity is generally extremely low (except perhaps compared to rural Arizona). Daytime RH is about 15-20% At night humidity goes up and can be about 70-80% in the middle of the night. We do have freezes but rarely during the daytime. Winter daytime highs are typically at least in the 50s often the 70s as they have been lately (feb). Our coldest period is late Dec (shortest days) hottest is late June (longest days). March-April is when it gets windy and there is a lot of complaining about the wind but when I first moved here I thought it was a strange complaint (what's a little wind compared to ice or snow or even rain) but I have been here long enough that I too complain about the wind.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:03 AM

12,998 posts, read 23,818,152 times
Well put me down as one who likes Carlsbad as the Pecos river is the Bomb. If i lived there i'd have a JetSki and be at Brantley Reservior all the time. I also like Sitting Bull Falls in the rugged Guadalupe Mountains there and would hike and Repeal on the rugged Cliffs there.

Good posts oomyzus !!
6/3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico