Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 07:45 AM

775 posts, read 2,587,148 times

Advertisements

Ive eaten the Red Chimayo Chili powder from Wal Mart and it tastes very good but they never sell the hot just the Medium. Is the Chimayo Green Chili Hot. How is the Taste compared to Hatch Chili? pintada kid at webtv.net
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 08:07 AM

108 posts, read 378,555 times
I can't believe that real Chimayo red makes it to Walmart.
Chimayo chili is traditionally grown on small plots by locals in the valley.
You do not find the long smooth chilis such as Hatch, but chilis that are smaller,
twisted, and more wrinkled. As with any chili, the heat level can vary due to
yearly weather conditions - but it tends toward the hot.
Last nights taste testing verified a good, hot haul.
Today the project is chili pasado - green chili storage w/o a freezer.
Chimayo Chili to us is as sacred as the soil at the Sanctuario.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:46 AM

Default Chimayo chili

Thanks for the info on Chimayo chili. So if its smaller and twisted its probably hard to peel when Roasted right? Why havent they Bred a Bigger chili? Oh Never mind i dont want to get into that. pintada kid at webtv.net

Old 08-24-2008, 10:00 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,867,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchro View Post
I can't believe that real Chimayo red makes it to Walmart.
Chimayo chili is traditionally grown on small plots by locals in the valley.
You do not find the long smooth chilis such as Hatch, but chilis that are smaller,
twisted, and more wrinkled. As with any chili, the heat level can vary due to
yearly weather conditions - but it tends toward the hot.
Last nights taste testing verified a good, hot haul.
Today the project is chili pasado - green chili storage w/o a freezer.
Chimayo Chili to us is as sacred as the soil at the Sanctuario.
Chimayó is one of my special favorites, too.

I do believe that Chimayó is one of the special "land races" of chile, varieties developed over time to be grown in higher, cooler, short-growing season areas. Dixon, Española and Velarde fit this category, too.

I tried growing Española and Dixon in hot West Texas (similar climate to southern NM)...and while I did get a few pods, these really don't do well at hot/lower elevations.

I am green (no pun intended) with envy!!

Old 08-24-2008, 11:41 AM

215 posts, read 652,053 times
Boy, do I have alot to learn ! I have been reading this thread since it started as it peaked my curiousity....mmmm. chile/chili. I know chili, the kind I make with gr.beef, etc....usually use the - don't laugh 'packets of chili powder spices', and everybody has always liked it, especially with black beans, corn, and green chiles (in the can ). The other chiles I have cooked with are Anaheim, for Chile Relleno, but that's about it. I'm reading here about all kinds of chiles, roasted, ground, 20# Bags???? etc., getting more and more confused with each post and I'm starting to feel like I don't know how to cook ! ! I know i'll figure it all out and it will be fun learning new ways to use the gifts for the area we live in. Here on the coast, the fruits and veggies are fresh and abundant, and I've learned how to use what is in season to the fullest. So, I am anxious to try a chile on a tort with garlic and the other things all of you have spoken about. The chiles I have cooked with or eaten here don't have a lot of heat to them, and that's just fine with me, but I have a feeling that's about to change....
Today, Tomorrow and 1 wake up....we'll be on our way

Old 08-24-2008, 01:53 PM

Default Chili Tip

Tortillas and Freshly Roasted Green Chili and Garlic are Great but try not to eat too much especially the hot because you will have like a Ball of Fire in Your Stomach for a Couple of Days if you get carried away and eat too much. If you havent eaten Green Chili with Eggs in the Morning you need to try it. Breakfast will take on a new taste that you will love of course Red is Great also but not like the Green. pintada kid at webtv.net

Old 08-24-2008, 07:05 PM

108 posts, read 378,555 times
hopeful transplant - Just keep learning and tasting and poking around at various
markets. If you have even a small space, try growing your own. Seeds of an
overwhelming variety are available. Every variety has an individual flavor and aroma - also influenced by where grown and with what weather. Past a point, we start sounding
like wine tasters.
We use chili in almost everything we make, and add it to almost anything else.
Pepperoni pizza with strips of green chili.
Pasta with a little olive oil, garlic, and a flavorful crushed dried chili.
Chili powder on popcorn.
But - as the Pintada Kid pointed out, exercise moderation as you learn your limits.
Pintada - the name for chilis in the process of changing from green to red -
considered by many to be the perfect flavor point for any chili.
After the fresh, dried green seems to be my new passion - we are very limited on
freezer space. With the harvest coming in, you just gotta eat what you can fresh!

Old 08-24-2008, 08:20 PM

215 posts, read 652,053 times
Thanks for the help and info. I'm sure moderation is probably a good thing while developing a taste for them. Not so sure about the popcorn thing but I hope to give it a try. I'll have some land to play around with and would like to plant some next spring, after the last frost and snow i'm guessing is the best time. Do deer, antelope and any other critters eat them? Our neighbor grew some poblanos and the rabbits ate them, don't they 'feel the burn' too? Well, back to packing, tomorrow we load the truck

Old 08-25-2008, 01:14 AM

140 posts, read 475,099 times
Thumbs up powder Chimayo phoney stuff in stores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post
Ive eaten the Red Chimayo Chili powder from Wal Mart and it tastes very good but they never sell the hot just the Medium. Is the Chimayo Green Chili Hot. How is the Taste compared to Hatch Chili? pintada kid at webtv.net
From what i have read, true Chimayo powder is not what is sold in stores like wallymart -its phoney not the real ,"Land Race ",variety from NM. and the Universities are working with local farmers to grow more of the true ones.Here in the Ozarks , we just grow different types of ANaheim Chiles,Hungarian, and Bell peppers,Jalapenos, we aren't used to super hot ones, use hot chile powder carefully in cooking, we use Jalapenos on our pizza- we pickle some up in jars, and stuff and freeze many from our organic garden for winter use, we refuse to buy from the store unless we run out completely, we even can some that rival Hatch brand, and we roast our own, oh anyone know of some good plans on the web to build roasters? happy eating all.Will be joining you in NM when we sell our place-we did have one offer recently , so it will happen.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
we just got them in our from our local grocer last week. Of course, living in NW Arkansas no one even knows what to do with them. When we asked for several lbs they thought we must be nuts. Even the product manager wasn't quite sure how we would fix them. We paid a little more than in NM, and had to roast them ourselves, but what a wonderful feeling. ...Now our freezer feels safe...For awhile it wondered where the chile was...

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico