Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 03:36 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times

Advertisements

Wow!!! What a list!!

I have checked a few places online (but haven't talked to an agent yet)....and they are considerably higher than I expected, but I really need to just go look and get a feel for the place.

As always, thanks so much for the list and invaluable information!

They seem to have a nice library, too! Even a drive up window for drop-offs!

I will definitely try Blake's! I'm also ready for some NM green chile, too!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2006, 01:39 PM

28 posts, read 371,227 times

How nice to see someone else enjoy and appreciate northern NM! I am actually from the small town of Springer, located just south of Raton and east of Cimarron. Since I grew up there I pretty much knew a lot of the people from all those small, surrounding towns. Raton was the nearest "biggest city", and like I said before that is where we did most of our grocery shopping, doctor's visits, movies, etc. Of course, Las Vegas lies to the south of us, but for some reason while growing up we mostly went to Raton probably because it was a quick 25 minute drive.

I am glad you got to visit Capulin, it truly is an amazing place. I have not been to the actual monument in quite some years, I hope it remains open long enough for me to take my future children to. As for Cimarron, yes it does somewhat resemble an "artsy" kind of town, but it is still small enough, and tucked away enough to hopefully keep it from becoming another Santa Fe. There is an interesting hotel there, the St. James, which is rumored (more like known) to be haunted. It has even been featured on several national televions shows and has some great history. You can still see the bullet holes in the ceiling of the dining rooms from the old times and the actual haunted rooms are so creepy for any of you paranormal seeking people out there--this is a must visit!!

Eagle Nest is also a nice community, the last few years I lived in that area we would spend our 4th of July up there because they have a beautiful fireworks display over the lake. Angel Fire and Red River are very nice, but mostly to visit because homes are so expensive up there and good paying jobs are hard to come by in that area. Either way, its a nice drive up to the mountains even if for the weekend. Try to go during the fall and avoid winter and the ski season because traffic is horrible up the small, winding canyon road.

If anyone should have any questions about this area, particulary far northeast NM please ask and I would love to give more info!

Old 08-14-2006, 02:13 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
How nice to see someone else enjoy and appreciate northern NM!

Hey, I've loved it for years....just haven't been over as far as Farmington, since we always came up through SF/Chama on the way to Wolf Creek/Durango-Purgatory.

So, I am really looking forward to seeing the others areas!

I just got my relo packet for Farmington. They put together a really nice, informative package!

Old 08-14-2006, 10:35 PM

827 posts, read 5,079,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnative505

How nice to see someone else enjoy and appreciate northern NM! I am actually from the small town of Springer, located just south of Raton and east of Cimarron.... I am glad you got to visit Capulin, it truly is an amazing place. I have not been to the actual monument in quite some years, I hope it remains open long enough for me to take my future children to. As for Cimarron, yes it does somewhat resemble an "artsy" kind of town, but it is still small enough, and tucked away enough to hopefully keep it from becoming another Santa Fe.
NMNative, yes I do enjoy northern NM very much. Capulin alone was worth the trip to see! Cimarron has such a special "feel" to it , I am sure you know what I am talking about knowing Cimarron like you do too, but is hard to describe. Lot of western history there too. Any wild west fans out there, Cimarron is the place! Lots of cowboy history in that town. I am not a bit surprised the hotel is haunted with all the history swirling around Cimarron. What you said too about Red River, Eagle Nest and Angel Fire just ring true to what I found as well. Thanks NMNative for sharing!

Old 09-06-2006, 01:15 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
Wink Cimarron & Eagle Nest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackerjack View Post
I almost hesitate to mention a little town that could be the next artsy town. I don't want it to become another Taos though. The town is Cimarron. What a quaint little town and the scenery around there is absolutely beautiful. Just remember if you move there, do me a big favor and be an activist and keep it from growing into Santa Fe.
Picture of Cimarron can be found at http://www.cimarronnm.com/images/Cimarron2004.jpg (broken link)
I agree with you. Cimarron is a beautiful little place. It's not far from The Palisades, which I am still awestricken by every time I see it/them.

Quote:
Stopped quickly by Eagle Nest. It is near Lake Eagle Nest and sort of reminded me of a mini, mini Salt Lake City back in 1880 near a mini Great Salt Lake. Western looking with the lake being the main focus, such as fishing etc. It seemed more of like being in a large meadow by a lake with mountains around it. If you like little old western towns, like the ones back in the 1800s west, that may fit the bill. Quite small so not many jobs unless you go into Taos and still not many jobs there either.
I love Eagle Nest. The lake is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen, and the town is really picturesque. It has severe winters and, as you said, very little to do jobwise, but it seems like a great place to hang it up. I like it because it hasn't become very touristy and, last time I was there, didn't have three-story condos in it like Red River does. Your description of it as a 'little old western town' is spot-on.

Old 09-06-2006, 10:28 PM

827 posts, read 5,079,681 times
Catman, I too love the Palisades! Beautiful! I also am like you, Eagle Nest and Cimarron are two special places. I am glad the winters are harsher up there so that will keep a lot of people away!

Old 01-22-2007, 03:04 PM

271 posts, read 1,175,114 times
Default lordsburg/Raton

I have only stopped at Lordsburg once and that will be it. I can't imagine why
anyone would want to live there. Now Raton seems to be a completely different situation. The big problem is it might be to cold for many but the
summers are quite nice. I do like the old victorian architecture downtown but
even though I now live in New Mexico I have not live there. I have been looking at houses there and the only bad news that some of the locals tell
me it is to far to a larger city which is Pueblo, Co. After saying that it is
only about 3 or 4 hours to Denver which is very interesting. Also Raton has
a Amtrak station where you can be in Kansas City the next morning and Chicago by 3:30 pm the next afternoon. I guess Lordsburg would be good
if you needed to go to Tucson often.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:17 AM

45 posts, read 238,242 times
My Fellow Americans,
I have visited New Mexico many times in my life and loved every second of each day.I want to relocate from Pittsburgh,because I have S.A.D.
and we only receive 50 days a year of any sunshine.Does anyone out there feel that Las Cruces is a good idea?
The last time I went to Santa Fe ,to visit friends,I was taken aback by the dirty park in the center of town,what is going on there?

Old 05-10-2007, 08:06 AM

39 posts, read 269,300 times
I love Raton. It is beautiful, peaceful and there are many places around the area that have so much history! Family still lives in Raton. The area really needs a big employer to come in because the mines have closed. It would be nice to have the race track running again, once upon a time La Mesa Park was a big attraction. Cimarron is nearby, Cimarron Canyon is gorgeous. Folsom is interesting, neat little bar there and the canyons around the area have lots of wild turkey, deer and other wildlife. Eagle Nest, Red River, Taos all within range. And Trinidad is just over the pass. My family were ranchers, Mackenzies/Cartwrights of the Matador Land and Cattle company as well as Prairie Land and Cattle Company and lived in the area for many years. Northern New Mexico is "God's Country". And don't forget Watrous and Fort Union, where the Buffalo Soldiers were stationed.
There is a white house on Railroad Avenue with the words "Willow Springs" over the gate. It was the stage stop for people coming through the pass, has a natural spring that was used by soldiers for water,etc. since about 1850. And it still has lots of water in it.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:01 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud dweller View Post
My Fellow Americans,
I have visited New Mexico many times in my life and loved every second of each day.I want to relocate from Pittsburgh,because I have S.A.D.
and we only receive 50 days a year of any sunshine.Does anyone out there feel that Las Cruces is a good idea?
The last time I went to Santa Fe ,to visit friends,I was taken aback by the dirty park in the center of town,what is going on there?
I feel Las Cruces is a good idea, in part because you and I seem to have had similar problems with S.A.D. I relocated from New Jersey, and cloud cover seemed to be almost constant. Las Cruces is the opposite of Pittsburgh: maybe 50 days a year of cloud cover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico