Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 02:23 PM

946 posts, read 3,265,737 times

Advertisements

I hope that this question doesn't seem inappropriate, but in the original Stagecoach (John Wayne) they are going to Lordsburg. Is it the same Lordsburg? (I assume that it wasn't filmed there.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 02:36 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Bent View Post
I hope that this question doesn't seem inappropriate, but in the original Stagecoach (John Wayne) they are going to Lordsburg. Is it the same Lordsburg? (I assume that it wasn't filmed there.)
Devin Bent,

No, in fact, the movie was filmed in Monument Valley, from my understanding. What an incredible film it was too. Other than "The Searchers" I consider it to be John Wayne's best film.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:11 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
Mike, are you sure? Although it's been a long time since I've seen the movie, I think there was a reference in the movie about Geronimo and his band of Apaches on the warpath against settlers squatting on Apache land. The Apache tribes in New Mexico are Jicarilla (east of Farmington going to Chama), and Mescalero (Ruidoso area). Geronimo was a Chiricahua Apache. Their area stretches from San Simon, Arizona past San Carlos to Cibecue. Lordsburg is maybe 30 miles east of San Simon on 10. But it was filmed in Monument Valley; you can never mistake those rock formations formations for anyplace else-period. You are also right on the two flicks- both are classics!

Old 03-11-2008, 10:24 PM

I never thought that Stagecoach was filmed anywhere near Lordsburg. I meant to ask if anyone knew about the original story be that book, short story or script. (Looking back I can see that my question was not clear.)

And of course, it is just a question in my mind whether the two Lordsburgs were one and the same. Geronimo was for a while in the San Carlos Reservation and if you traveled from the area of modern day Phoenix to Lordsburg you might go near or across that reservation. But then I suspect that would be too far to travel in a stagecoach trip which seemed to be a day or two. But I have no idea how far a stagecoach traveled in a day.

I agree that Stagecoach and the Searchers are Wayne's two best although it is the Searchers number one and Stagecoach two.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:57 PM

Default I looked it up

I looked it up on-line. One reviewer who seemed informed says that in the original short story (Stagecoach to Lordsburg) the stagecoach was traveling from Tonto, AZ to Lordsburg, NM. That seems a long way to me in a day or two, but what do I know about stagecoach travel?

(But then another reviewer says that Stagecoach the movie came from a book.)

Old 01-29-2009, 08:28 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
All this talk about the beauty of the Las Vegas, Mora, Cimmeron and Raton area has made me consider moving completely to New Mexico and snowbirding within the state. La Luz in the winter and Cimmeron in the summer. I, hopefully, have a few years to decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico