Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 09:08 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
No. When you stepped on his tail, the scratch response would be natural
But if you accidentally step on a poor snake and it bites you, its the "devil" and must be murdered, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 10:44 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,178,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
You got it!

If some cat got in my house and could easily attack me and my pets, I wonder what people would think if I cornered it and started smacking it with a shovel until it died. Everyone knows damn well that all the cat lovers would rip me a new one, would they not? Well, I love my snakes, and theyre waaaaaaay too persecuted, but many people on here advocate the killing of snakes because in their tiny, primitive minds, "the only good snake is a dead snake". How dare they!
There are probably plenty of boobs out there who think snakes should be killed because they pose a "potential" danger, just like there are fishermen who fish and kill sharks for fun or some pinheaded imagined "revenge".
The truth is, ecosystems depend on predators (like snakes, sharks, wolves, etc) and any loss is a loss to all, often in ways not even imagined. Re-introduction of wolves up in national parks is in the process of changing the landscape, which nobody anticipated. Systems are complex and not always discernable or predictable.
I don't want a rattler in my garage, either. But a simple relocation in a canvas sack or a cardboard box is all that's required.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:45 PM

717 posts, read 1,954,425 times
Quite so, tecpatl, I concur 100%. I remember night reef diving with my brother back in Hawai'i when we occasionally had rather large sharks tag along "sniffing" our stringer lines...it could get hairy at times and we even got "bumped" once or twice...but they are such magnificent creatures!!!! I would NOT want the oceans denuded of them, but at the current rates of vastly overfishing sharks (and MANY other species both aquatic and terrestrial) they may become rare in the not too distant future. Such a pity and a tragic loss; all in the name of human greed, cowardice and culinary fashion. Makes my blood boil at times.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
There are probably plenty of boobs out there who think snakes should be killed because they pose a "potential" danger, just like there are fishermen who fish and kill sharks for fun or some pinheaded imagined "revenge".
The truth is, ecosystems depend on predators (like snakes, sharks, wolves, etc) and any loss is a loss to all, often in ways not even imagined. Re-introduction of wolves up in national parks is in the process of changing the landscape, which nobody anticipated. Systems are complex and not always discernable or predictable.
I don't want a rattler in my garage, either. But a simple relocation in a canvas sack or a cardboard box is all that's required.
This is a great post! I couldnt agree more regarding your last sentence. Snakes are VERY easy to deal with, and easily removed. If people dont feel comfortable with it, fine, but dont kill the poor thing, call Animal Control.

Anytime a snake gets into a neighbor/friend/etc garage, they give me a call instead of killing it. Ive had people bring them to me in pillowcases at work, to which I release them after work. Ive also been called several times to come get stray snakes out of the office from time to time, too. haha

Old 09-08-2008, 06:23 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
But if you accidentally step on a poor snake and it bites you, its the "devil" and must be murdered, right?
You're asking for it, Steve-O.

I have never stepped on a snake...I watch where I put my feet. You learn to do that when you're raised in rural WT where rattlesnakes, copperheads (around the water/rivers) and coral snakes abound.

If I stepped on a venomous snake in my yard, you can bet I'd kill it, just as I would any venomous snake inside my area.

Calling animal control is a joke....and I have no desire for it to bite one of my dogs.

If I stepped on a non-venomous snake, even if it bit me, I'd probably pick it up and put it elsewhere.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:13 PM

261 posts, read 935,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post
...after she put the Rattlesnake Fat on her Knees the Cats Wouldnt get near her. pintada kid at webtv.net

Would anything get near someone who had rattlesnake fat smeared on their knees?

Old 09-08-2008, 08:44 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,956 times
I know some wont like this but me and my cousins use to roam around out in the country all the time just on the New Mexico/Texas border, there is an old little dried up lake out there and we use to find rattle snakes, we use to trap em and tease em and throw yucca plant pods at them,we killed a few though, now I dont hurt anything though.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
You're asking for it, Steve-O.

I have never stepped on a snake...I watch where I put my feet. You learn to do that when you're raised in rural WT where rattlesnakes, copperheads (around the water/rivers) and coral snakes abound.

If I stepped on a venomous snake in my yard, you can bet I'd kill it, just as I would any venomous snake inside my area.

Calling animal control is a joke....and I have no desire for it to bite one of my dogs.
What a shameful, sad post. You should really be ashamed of yourself, your hypocrisy and disrespect for living things. I fully expect you to stomp on and kill cats that come in your yard from now on, because they can bite you and your dog, too. If youd call animal control to come get a nasty cat out of your yard, then I expect you do the same for a snake, its only fair.

And calling Animal Control is not a "joke", your post is.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:10 AM

717 posts, read 1,954,425 times
Right on Steve, ignorance abounds here it seems.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:17 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
What a shameful, sad post. You should really be ashamed of yourself, your hypocrisy and disrespect for living things. I fully expect you to stomp on and kill cats that come in your yard from now on, because they can bite you and your dog, too. If youd call animal control to come get a nasty cat out of your yard, then I expect you do the same for a snake, its only fair.

And calling Animal Control is not a "joke", your post is.
Oh for crying out loud to both you and Dracul.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico