Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 10:49 AM

717 posts, read 1,950,433 times

Advertisements

News Flash: a good friend of mine, we'll call him "Rocky", a seventy two year young super athlete, has been bitten by a cat!!!! Almost just where I was on the central forearm area! Like my injury, which had lasting consequences, his arm is swelling rapidly. I've urged him to seek medical attention immediately; he has agreed. If he catches the infection early enough he won't end up like me, needing corrective surgery. Like myself, he is in excellent physical condition which may help him to resist the invasion. I wish him well. Watch out for those CATZ people...they are as dangerous as venomous snakes when they sink those fangs into your hide deeply enough!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 02:32 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,097,381 times
Default Cat bites

A domestic cat? I've had cats almost all my life and have been bitten and scratched numerous times (usually my own fault; I provoked them). Hydrogen peroxide applied immediately has always taken care of the problem. I'm a 'cat person', obviously, but have never considered myself particularly dangerous. I certainly don't go around biting people, although I suppose I've been 'venomous' occasionally.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:59 PM

7,394 posts, read 19,287,579 times
Yeah right, Catman. I think you go around biting people any chance you get. LOL Just kidding.

I knew of someone one time that tried to pick up a cat after someone ran over him/her with a car. The cat bit him and he had all kinds of problems after that.
I hope your friend did seek medical attention although if he's in pretty good physical shape, he shouldn't have too many problems getting rid of the infection.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:09 PM

45 posts, read 138,291 times
Ooooh. I doubt that a domestic cat could do that much damage... unless it was provoked. And at that, they are not venomous or poisonous. They are animals, they cannot be reasoned with, and they will act out to protect themselves if they feel threatened. That's why I don't mess with unfamiliar wildlife! lol

Unless Mr. Pussycat was on the offensive, wiley-eyed and foaming from the mouth, rabies is doubtful. A trip to the doctor wouldn't hurt if it gets worse or infected.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:10 AM

Unfortunately smarty you are quite mistaken. Cat bites are THE most problematic bites of any non venomous animal for humans at least. I can attest to this fact as I now have a partially paralyzed hand from such a bite. It seems about half of the medical community is aware of this risk and the rest are as blissfully ignorant of it as lay people in general. I've gone through over $5,000 worth of mediical treatments for this incredible event so far...and my hand WILL require corrective surery...for a domestic cat bite!!!!!!!!!!!! Cat's mouths contain a variety of bacteria, many of which, such as pasteurella (sp), are very pernicious. Couple this with needle-like canines to inject this cocktail with little bleeding and you are in BIG truouble with a deep bite. We've all been scratched and bitten superficially by cats over the years...no problem; but deep bites are another beast altogether. Consider the fact that both myself and my friend are lifetime bodybuilders in excellent general health and we both got KO'd!!!! I've been told limbs have been lost and a death even occurred in Las Vegas last year from a cat bite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Beware friend catman...be afraid, be very afraid

Old 09-03-2008, 11:19 AM

4,552 posts, read 14,984,767 times
I guess I better be nice to my cat at all times.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:05 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,154,977 times
Cool, just another excuse to run over them.

Old 09-03-2008, 04:58 PM

Yikesssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-03-2008, 07:05 PM

7,572 posts, read 8,986,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Cool, just another excuse to run over them.

Only if they are with a snake

Old 09-03-2008, 07:58 PM

45 posts, read 138,291 times
::throwing up the white towel:: I still feel that the offending cat's behavior is the exception, not the norm (since evidently the cat wasn't provoked.) And he needs to go to the kitty timeout chair. If the cat was provoked, then that's another story. I agree, cats can be vicious. The most common workers compensation claim in veterinary hospitals is cat bites. But the vets weren't just trying to give them a friendly petting and a treat, you know? I am fully aware of the bacteria that lurks in their mouths. It's nasty. They take pleasure in licking their own butt holes, after all. Sorry about your hand. Try to keep it out of kitties' mouths.

Last edited by smartyknickers; 09-03-2008 at 08:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico