Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2013, 05:44 PM

391 posts, read 906,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
Isn't the low level of the lake is mostly due to releasing more water to Tejas (than ever before) as part of a legal settlement?
There has been no release to anyone from Elephant Butte so far this year, and EBID tells me I'll be lucky to get 6 acre inches this year. The Rio Grande at Mesilla is a stream about 3 feet wide, and a bit further north at the I-10 bridge it's dry as a bone...all sand.
There's no water because of drought for the past few years, and it looks bad for this year also, the snowpack up North is barely over 50% of normal.
Texas is suing New Mexico for more water, but that's still in the courts. There was a release of water last year or year before because Mexico had been short-changed, but that was a one time thing.
Farmers, mostly pecan growers, are pumping ground water every day and night to flood the groves and fields.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 12:16 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
ok, as for the drought, so they have a drought? Many states have had drought conditions for some years. We lived in ABQ until 2008 and there wasn't a severe drought, but yes, they did need water. Todays drought state might be under water next year. I do not think that is any reason for moving and I would hae to see stats, factual ones that is, that show more people moving out of NM each year than moving in. That being said, we did live there for 7 years, we found a lot of things to love about NM and a few things that we just didn't agree with. No place is perfect, we all know that. For us, it wasn't the answer, but if I were you, I would surely give the state and the city a try. As for jobs, no one can help you there, you will just have to move and hope for the best. NM didn't have as big a problem with unemployment as states like FL and CA, so that is a positive and the biggest positive might be the climate. If you like Phoenix, you should love Albuquerque. You have the benefit of the beautiful desert landscaping, the mountains and the dry climate without nearly the summer high temps and wonderful cool or cooler evenings. The one thing, other than our friends, we miss the most is the climate.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:21 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
ok, as for the drought, so they have a drought? Many states have had drought conditions for some years. We lived in ABQ until 2008 and there wasn't a severe drought, but yes, they did need water. Todays drought state might be under water next year. I do not think that is any reason for moving and I would hae to see stats, factual ones that is, that show more people moving out of NM each year than moving in.

New Mexico Drought Is Worst Since 1950s April 25, 2013 - New Mexico's drought conditions are increasingly looking like the infamous "Drought of the '50s," federal meteorologists said at a meeting Wednesday of the Drought Monitoring Working Group. The last 36 months have been the fourth driest such period since record-keeping began in New Mexico more than a century ago and are the worst since the 1950s, according to Chuck Jones of the National Weather Service.
ENTIRE ARTICLE: New Mexico Drought Is Worst Since 1950s - HispanicBusiness.com

Also the thread: Why Are People Leaving New Mexico

But we have decided to stick it out...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 04-28-2013 at 09:10 AM..

Old 05-01-2013, 04:47 AM

802 posts, read 984,096 times
Santa Fe County water woes (April 16,2013):

Water Fight: As developers scramble for approval, critics worry about water

the developer says: "There is no water shortage,” he says. “Water is a nonissue.”

Is tar and feathers too lenient a response?

Old 05-01-2013, 09:16 AM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highplainsrus View Post
Santa Fe County water woes (April 16,2013):

Water Fight: As developers scramble for approval, critics worry about water

the developer says: "There is no water shortage,” he says. “Water is a nonissue.”

Is tar and feathers too lenient a response?
No water shortage, huh! Sheesh!

Old 05-03-2013, 04:02 AM

Default New Mexico Facing Worst Drought in the Nation

Uribe, Monica Ortiz. May 2, 2013. Fronteras
New Mexico Facing Worst Drought In The Nation | Fronteras Desk

"New Mexico is currently experiencing the worst drought in the country according to the U.S. Drought Monitor. In just the past week the percentage of New Mexico under extreme drought shot up from 4 percent to 25 percent. The U.S. Drought Monitor map shows the state blanketed in red.
This is the third consecutive year of historic drought nationwide. In the southwest New Mexico and Texas have been hit the hardest. Average rainfall in New Mexico is down by more than half.
For cattle ranchers that means high feed costs and reducing their herd size. Farmers across the region are switching to crops that require less water like cotton.
Also the danger of wildfire will only intensify as high winds and hot temperatures combine in the coming weeks."

If you believe the drought will be a temporary phenomenon, is this the best time ever to buy NM real estate? How likely is it that the rain will never return? It took several years to revive the dust bowl, but it did revive (for awhile, at least).

If you have deep roots in NM, isn't it likely that you will just stick it out, no matter what happens, hoping the lightweights will migrate elsewhere? People can survive on a couple of inches of rain a year, can't they?

Old 05-03-2013, 08:53 AM

255 posts, read 626,917 times
Nature sure has a way of correcting man's folly.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:19 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,061,261 times
Quote:

If you have deep roots in NM, isn't it likely that you will just stick it out, no matter what happens, hoping the lightweights will migrate elsewhere? People can survive on a couple of inches of rain a year, can't they?
My family has stuck it out here for nearly 400 years. Many others in this area have been here for 1000+. I think I'll stick it out.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:59 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,594,347 times
Quote:
If you believe the drought will be a temporary phenomenon, is this the best time ever to buy NM real estate? How likely is it that the rain will never return? It took several years to revive the dust bowl, but it did revive (for awhile, at least).
What sort of real estate... farm land?

Old 05-04-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
What sort of real estate... farm land?
that would be complex to answer, even if i were a real estate pro. we could take a shot at discussing the possibilities, though. if i had the wherewithal to buy property, i would do a lot of analysis on property values during the wet years and where/why the declines have been worst during the drought. for rural land, i would want to know the crop and livestock histories, along with suburban development patterns. I would study the dust bowl history to see what happened there when the drought ended (if it ever really did). There would have to be decisions about buying to flip versus buying for quality of life or buying for long-term investment. Water and mineral rights would bear close study. The population movements would be considered. Somewhere in all that analysis, various potential opportunities would pop up for further in-depth investigation and numbers-running. There would be lots of gasoline expended in driving around and lots of time spent in conversations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico