Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2013, 03:36 PM

492 posts, read 1,041,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Water either gets returned to the system as sewage, seepage, deep injection, crop mass, natural biomass, industrial products, or evaporation.
It seems it would have to return to the Rio Grande Valley to reduce the drought effect. Presumably evaporation returns somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 06:01 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,182,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalhop View Post
It seems it would have to return to the Rio Grande Valley to reduce the drought effect. Presumably evaporation returns somewhere else.
The only way to solve the drought is for more precipitation to fall; that will depend little on how the water demand changes, though water demand will vary with an end or intensifying of the drought.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:17 PM

391 posts, read 906,592 times
Certainly a significant amount of water that is "used" in NM actually finds it's way back to an aquifer. Opposing that is a huge amount of evaporation from applications onto the earth and transpiration from vast fields of crops and other plant life.
Just past the boundary line of my private property here in the Mesilla Valley is a strip of federally controled land, a deep, empty ditch, the Mesilla Drain. It stretches for miles, and everywhere that an irrigation ditch bringing water from the Rio "Chico" crosses the Drain there is a gate or valve that will channel ditch water into that deep, long, dry trench. Its total function is/was to return water to the aquifer. Construction of this thing was due to the water table in the Mesilla Valley being raised so much when irrigation was brought to the valley, courtesy of EBID. Then, the problem was too much water being flooded onto farmland, and this 20+ foot deep trench was there to drain off water from acequias and fields, and, hopefully, allow it to seep into the aquifer. In 9 years I've never seen a drop of water in this thing, and, barring an enormous monsoon season someday, I probably never will. There are scrub trees, brush and grasses in this low depression because there is a huge Pecan grove on the west side of it. My side is cacti and other low water native plants which don't really participate much in aquifer nourishment.
Whenever I walk the paths alongside the Mesilla Drain, most every day, I think about all that river water that used to be channeled onto this rich farmland and contemplate how nature really doesn't give a s**t what we humans want or need at any particular time. We can't rule it, we can only adapt to IT"S rules, if we can only figure out what those are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
The entire notion of "use" is really misleading.

Water either gets returned to the system as sewage, seepage, deep injection, crop mass, natural biomass, industrial products, or evaporation. In nearly every case, water is conserved (except certain biological and industrial processes where it becomes plant sugars or chemicals, most of which end up reversing to water anyway). Until you rank individual uses of water, you can hardly set farmers against suburbanites against power plants against fracking.

Those African families use a lot of rain to take care of their food needs that is not included in their total. We are not so lucky in most of the U.S. to have rains that give us food in the same manner. We also waste less food thanks to refrigeration.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:51 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,692,833 times
Drought worsens in New Mexico, no relief in sight | Weather - KOAT Home

We need a lot more than a little water conservation. The link is from today's newspaper.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:04 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,768 times
On my walk by the river today I wondered what that sound was. Oh, the sound of running water. Not sure how we can be in the worst drought and they release water into the river.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
Drought worsens in New Mexico, no relief in sight | Weather - KOAT Home

We need a lot more than a little water conservation. The link is from today's newspaper.
A lot of water conservation would help though, and be easy. We've established that NM citizens use 4 to 6 times the water they need. We've established that NM farmers are planting crops worth less than the water used to grow them. The drought may continue to exist by definition, there may be more fires, but at a higher price there needn't be a lack of water for users.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:31 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
We've established that NM farmers are planting crops worth less than the water used to grow them.
No, You have established that. I have not seen verifiable numbers. Some some/many of those "NM farmers" have legal rights to that water. Have you ever talked to some of those farmers? Have you ever talked to of those farmers who have lived off the land their entire life. And their families have lived off that land for years before that? No. It is not as simple as you seem to keep trying to make it.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
It is not as simple as you seem to keep trying to make it.
Point is, there is not a lack of water. Rather people are using more than they need because it's cheap. Water rights are irrelevant to that. It's not simple politically, but logically it is. As drought worsens or population grows, water becomes more valuable despite its price. That is how crops can be worth less than the water used to grow them.

It's a safe bet that NM farmers will be legally stripped of some part of their water rights. A fast growing population (if not drought) ensures that. The NM population isn't going to plateau just because NM farmers have lived off the land their entire lives. That's not to say I don't wish better for them. I'd rather see a declining population.

Last edited by Jalhop; 05-09-2013 at 09:41 PM..

Old 05-09-2013, 10:42 PM

802 posts, read 983,964 times
Quote:
Good to know. I checked my water bill. In the last two months the two of us here used 25 gal/day each. We both like long showers, so it's hard to imagine using even 1/3 of what the average Albuquerque citizen uses.
It is a bit mystifying to some of us how anybody could use up 150 or more gal of water a day. The number may be misleading to some extent since it is probably just the gross Water Authority usage divided by the total population. And we don't know exactly how the Authority measures its gross usage. Presumably, it includes all industrial and business use. There are a lot of restaurants washing a lot of dishes and other business cleaning activities, to go along with landscaping sprinklers. Of course, there are probably some wealthy residences dependent on lawn/garden watering, clothes washing, frequent showering, toilet flushes, dish washing, auto washing (out of sight), swimming pools and such, probably over 150 gal, necessary to maintain a luxury lifestyle and expensive property values. Many of us may have ambitions to join that luxury group. How many millionaires would voluntarily conserve to less than 150 gal/day per person in their household and business?

On top of that, the Water Authority has little political motivation to charge heavy water users the true cost of the excess water. However, if the overall usage falls dramatically enough to reduce Authority income, then rates will rise to restore the income. An argument could be made that it is our civic responsibility to use as much water as possible to keep rates low and money flowing into the Authority so water infrastructure can be fully managed, maintained and improved. I think a better argument could be made for quadrupling the cost of water over and above simple survival usage.

http://www.abcwua.org/content/view/220/408/

Last edited by highplainsrus; 05-09-2013 at 11:05 PM..

Old 05-11-2013, 05:40 AM

802 posts, read 983,964 times
Default NM aquifer used for storage?

"An Albuquerque supply well that long pumped water up from underground will reverse direction next week in an experiment to pump some of the metro area’s water supply underground for later use."

» Utility to inject water in ground for preservation | ABQ Journal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico