Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 09:33 AM

471 posts, read 977,430 times

Advertisements

The Rio Grande way down south past Los Lunas is always dry or just about dry with only a trickle of water most of the time. I have walked across it a few times, haven't found any quicksand but have found lots of trash the 4 wheeler and off-road truck folks dump as they ride around in it. Even more odd, if you are not used to it, is all the people who run to go "ditch fishing" in the irrigation ditches that run next to the river when there is water released in them.

Use a rain barrel or maybe a bucket if you have gutters, to catch some water for outside car washing, plant watering, or other uses. Some claim that you are not allowed to catch rain water due to some taking the water right law to the extreme, but I have not heard of anyone getting arrested yet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 11:52 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,700,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryCarr View Post
The Rio Grande way down south past Los Lunas is always dry or just about dry with only a trickle of water most of the time. I have walked across it a few times, haven't found any quicksand but have found lots of trash the 4 wheeler and off-road truck folks dump as they ride around in it. Even more odd, if you are not used to it, is all the people who run to go "ditch fishing" in the irrigation ditches that run next to the river when there is water released in them.

Use a rain barrel or maybe a bucket if you have gutters, to catch some water for outside car washing, plant watering, or other uses. Some claim that you are not allowed to catch rain water due to some taking the water right law to the extreme, but I have not heard of anyone getting arrested yet!
I believe you can catch all the water you want as long as it's falling on your property, not flowing across it.

So rain barrels to capture water from your roof is fine. Diverting from the arroyo that flows through your property is not.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:18 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryCarr View Post
Some claim that you are not allowed to catch rain water due to some taking the water right law to the extreme
Rainwater harvesting is basically legal in New Mexico. They encourage it. There are a few restrictions, but not an issue for most homeowners.

The OSE Memo:

And their brochure: Rainwater Harvesting with Cistern Systems in New Mexico
http://www.ose.state.nm.us/water-inf...andscaping.pdf

Old 01-17-2014, 11:44 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
A friend wrote me and told me the snowpack and precipitation in northern NM is way below even average for this time of year and that it doesn't speak well for spring/summer fire events, or for the possibility of the Chama scenic train even being open for the summer. That's pretty dry. So hope there's a big change for all concerned.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:51 PM

642 posts, read 2,552,587 times
This is all very sad for me to read as a person whose goal for the past 25 years is to move to new mexico. I am finally able to settle there along with my daughter and her fiance. Now I am worried in 20 yrs things would fall.apart. reallllyyyyy wish there was some positive news but its the times. At the coast desal will become a necessity. Are the states north of you doing well water wise I hear the pac nw is above average.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:06 PM

Is it better in nw new mexico like someone mentioned. I don't see how that could be. But they do have a heck.of a snow pack.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:28 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,061,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltoncity View Post
Is it better in nw new mexico like someone mentioned. I don't see how that could be. But they do have a heck.of a snow pack.

As with anything in life, things change.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:02 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,595,121 times
In another month it will look a lot better yet.

Do you know how their drought categories are defined? Like what is the baseline and how far back do they look? Spring (til July) is dry every year in NM. Ruidoso's precipitation level has been normal or above the last couple years even with low winter precipitation. We've made up for it in the summer.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:12 PM

Thats also what I was curious about. I figured desert is desert its going to be dry. And I know climate change is Very real. But I am wondering how different this is to other times years back when there was also drought. Lol maybe I am just fighting to keep the dream alive but that is something I would like to hear about ;-)

Old 08-10-2014, 04:31 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltoncity View Post
But I am wondering how different this is to other times years back when there was also drought.
Two words: POPULATION GROWTH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico