Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2006, 11:24 PM

18 posts, read 117,349 times

Advertisements

I read that last night a UNM student got lost on Carlisle and Constitution IN HIS TRUCK and was shot at by randoms. Does this happen in other places? How often does that happen in ABQ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2006, 03:34 AM

827 posts, read 5,078,154 times
Default ABQ Shootings

Yes Gaby, it is too bad that ABQ has these thugs who have nothing better to do then shoot at people. Mostly they are gangbangers who want any outsiders to stay out of "their" territory. ABQ people really need to step up and stay enough is enough and vote in people in government who say they will do something about crime and make it their number 1 priority and if they don't keep their word, vote them out regardless of who they are. Also ABQ needs every block to have volunteer watchers to look out for any signs of crime or gang activity and report it. Until the ABQ residents decide to step up and take charge, these thugs will keep roaming around free.

Old 06-04-2006, 11:54 AM

5 posts, read 19,649 times
That's ABQ and Santa Fe is not far behind on gang growth. It's why I left Santa Fe, and try to never go to these cities (ABQ and SF)unless I really have to. I still have a grown son living in SF, and he too is getting fed up with the crime and gang problems. Please look over the whole state before you give up on your New Mexico Dream. I live in Las Vegas, and love this beautiful area. It has potential for families. No place is perfect, well, unless you count the Red River area, but not everyone can live there full time due to it's size. I drove up to it yesterday, as I often do to walk in paradise. Another great thing about living in Las Vegas. It's less than 70 miles to Taos, or Santa Fe. And also so close to so many ski resorts, Angel Fire, RR and etc. I still love NM after my many decades of knowing it well. Enchanted

Old 06-05-2006, 02:43 AM

827 posts, read 5,078,154 times
Default I Agree Enchanted, Red River Is A Paradise

Red River is a little slice of Heaven. It is too bad the pie is so small. In one way, it is hard for people to move there due to lack of good jobs, but then in another way, it is why it still has such a quiet charm to it! I just hope Red River won't turn into another Taos!

Old 06-05-2006, 06:02 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,867,276 times
Quote:
Please look over the whole state before you give up on your New Mexico Dream. I live in Las Vegas, and love this beautiful area. It has potential for families. No place is perfect, well, unless you count the Red River area, but not everyone can live there full time due to it's size. I drove up to it yesterday, as I often do to walk in paradise. Another great thing about living in Las Vegas. It's less than 70 miles to Taos, or Santa Fe. And also so close to so many ski resorts, Angel Fire, RR and etc. I still love NM after my many decades of knowing it well. Enchanted
Another poster on this board had mentioned that the crime in Las Vegas was pretty bad, so I'm glad to hear someone else talk about the town. I just received a packet from the C of C in Las Vegas, and was seriously considering it as a permanent retirement place. The proximity to all of the ski areas (as well as SF) is a big plus.

Old 06-06-2006, 10:08 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,245,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017
Another poster on this board had mentioned that the crime in Las Vegas was pretty bad, so I'm glad to hear someone else talk about the town. I just received a packet from the C of C in Las Vegas, and was seriously considering it as a permanent retirement place. The proximity to all of the ski areas (as well as SF) is a big plus.
Las Vegas does have a high crime rate. (Check City Data's stats.)

This summer we took a vacation to Minnesota, and I was talking to one of the local school counselors. When he found out I was from New Mexico, his eyes got a little wide and he said, "You aren't from Las Vegas are you?" Turns out he had been through there and been robbed. So Las Vegas even has a nasty reputation in Minnesota.

But really, every town has bad places. I have never lived in Las Vegas, but I have been there several times. I always thought it seemed pretty awful, but I'm sure a resident can give you a more accurate view.

If you really want an accurate view of crime, call and talk to some of the local police officers. Don't talk to the chiefs, who are likely to shine you on. Talk to some of the patrol officers. They'll be brutally honest.

Old 06-08-2006, 02:00 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,867,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S.
This summer we took a vacation to Minnesota, and I was talking to one of the local school counselors. When he found out I was from New Mexico, his eyes got a little wide and he said, "You aren't from Las Vegas are you?" Turns out he had been through there and been robbed. So Las Vegas even has a nasty reputation in Minnesota.
Ouch.

But that's good advice about talking to locals/local police.

I do plan to make a few trips out beforehand for sure. I ski at Sipapu and other places, so there are plenty of opportunities!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico