Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 04:03 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,226,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot_Wa View Post
this is our 3rd yr in the windy months.....stay indoors don't breath the dirt and dust.... heaven forbid you have allergies this time of yr......We are in T or C and the wind has blown every day this month....45-50mph gust all day long
I hope you're enjoying it as much as I am in Elephant Butte.
I did a load of laundry last week sometime, hung it on the clothesline and it was dried in 30 minutes, I love it. The only thing I don't like is the sand in my briefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 07:53 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,090,096 times
This has been a mild wind year. Sure beats the snow. Allergies will improve if you eat local bee's honey: about a Tbl a day, all year around. Why stay indoors? The weather has been wonderful and wild flowers are abundant in the desert.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:00 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,499,139 times
Default New Mexico Wind Season?

Is there a wind season in New Mexico? If so what months and how severe is it, on a daily basis or sporadic? I've heard Flagstaff is pretty bad in spring and in west Texas I think it is year around. Lived in Amarillo briefly and how they keep their cowboy hats on is beyond me!

Old 03-13-2015, 07:17 PM

707 posts, read 742,821 times
Yes, it is pretty windy today, even blowing cars out of their lanes. Spring is typically the windiest (and driest) season in NM, but can get windy any time of year. Albuquerque doesn't have to deal with tornados too often, thank goodness, but with a good northeasterly, and a gigantic wall of dust, or haboob, will swallow the city and dump about 50 million tons of Rio Rancho on us.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:31 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,557,553 times
For us, wind has been one of our biggest issues. It's really not that bad, it just changes those nice days, Threads regarding wind throughout the New Mexico forums:
Windy Weather, Wind in ABQ
How Much Does The Wind Bother People - Carrizozo Area
Wind Chill Of Ten Below? Las Cruces
Allergies, Eczema, Wind in Albuquerque
Wind in New Mexico
Avoiding High Wind Areas - Alamogordo and Ruidoso Areas
Santa Fe, Wind, Windy day!!!
Albuquerque Weather - Severe Downslope Wind

Old 03-13-2015, 08:31 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,553,499 times
Don't know about Albuquerque, but here we see punishing winds mostly mid March to mid May. It varies quite a bit though.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:35 PM

16,017 posts, read 10,574,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehkou View Post
Yes, it is pretty windy today, even blowing cars out of their lanes. Spring is typically the windiest (and driest) season in NM, but can get windy any time of year. Albuquerque doesn't have to deal with tornados too often, thank goodness, but with a good northeasterly, and a gigantic wall of dust, or haboob, will swallow the city and dump about 50 million tons of Rio Rancho on us.
It's slow going but Rio Rancho was developed to pave over as much of that dust as possible so Albuquerque would not be inconvenienced.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
It's slow going but Rio Rancho was developed to pave over as much of that dust as possible so Albuquerque would not be inconvenienced.

I know it's not all from Rio Rancho, just from that direction. I think it's kinda cool to be honest. We really should be putting wind farms along the eastern edge of the Rio Puerco Valley though.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:16 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,557,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehkou View Post

I know it's not all from Rio Rancho, just from that direction. I think it's kinda cool to be honest. We really should be putting wind farms along the eastern edge of the Rio Puerco Valley though.

A Climatology of High Wind Warning Events for Northern and Central New Mexico: 1976-2005
Todd Shoemake, NWS WFO Albuquerque
May 2010

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/media/abq/Lo...udyBTS2010.pdf
28 page report

Quote:
An initial hypothesis was considered before analyzing the directional tendencies of high wind events at Albuquerque. Although strong east wind events are common in Albuquerque, it was hypothesized that high wind events would be predominantly from a westerly and southwesterly direction. Qualitative analysis of each of the 55 high wind days (events) quickly revealed a sharp distinction between two different types of high wind events for Albuquerque. With wind direction as the sole deterministic variable, a sharp contrast was defined between easterly high wind events versus westerly high wind events. Figure 2 depicts the partition of the frequency of high wind observations by wind direction.
Rio Rancho is North, North West or even North East from Albuquerque depending on where you are standing....

Old 03-13-2015, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
A Climatology of High Wind Warning Events for Northern and Central New Mexico: 1976-2005
Todd Shoemake, NWS WFO Albuquerque
May 2010

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/media/abq/Lo...udyBTS2010.pdf
28 page report

Rio Rancho is North, North West or even North East from Albuquerque depending on where you are standing....
Whenever I see a haboob, it always seems to come in from the north, from my perspective on the west side, yet even strong westerly's produce localizes dust storms at best. Why is that? is it just sandier to the north?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico