Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 04:19 PM

4 posts, read 27,120 times

Advertisements

I've been in love with New Mexico for many years, and would like to one day retire there, however, I do not like a lot of wind. I am considering Northern New Mexico, in particular, the areas of Raton or Las Vegas. Is there anywhere in NM that does not have a lot of wind on a daily basis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 04:40 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,407,960 times
If you dont like wind stay away from Raton, not so sure about LV

Old 02-11-2007, 04:41 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times
Not much wind in Taos--just spells.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:13 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Steer clear of anything between ABQ and Gallup! Never fails, every year I go through there and I have to dodge tumbleweed and dust storms, it gets NASTY! I stopped in Gallup last year to pump gas and was pelted with garbage and dust, alot of fun that was. The year before I had the samething happen to me in Tucumcari, only on a lighter scale. All my visits to NM (spare Sante Fe) were windy and dusty nightmares. Its funny to watch all the cars coming your way on the highway, alot of them have tumbleweeds stuck in their car grilles. I caught a big mutha right upside the wife's car last year, wasnt too happy about it. ABQ never seems as windy to me, probably because of the Sandias?

Old 02-16-2007, 11:18 AM

19 posts, read 91,225 times
I live in Silver City and it seems like 3/4 of the year the wind is blowing. Sometimes it is just a 5-15mph breeze, but we do get a lot of harsh winds that I think are because the jet stream just gets south enough to create it. We experienced non-stop winds when we lived in Alamogordo in the spring of 2003 from March through June. However, this is a hot spot for retirees! They come from all over to live here. The price of housing is proof of that.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:47 PM

35 posts, read 194,438 times
New Mexico is a bad state for wind. Tornados are almost nonexistent because of the moutnains but the wind is awful. Colorado is the same way.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:56 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g2prairie View Post
I've been in love with New Mexico for many years, and would like to one day retire there, however, I do not like a lot of wind. I am considering Northern New Mexico, in particular, the areas of Raton or Las Vegas. Is there anywhere in NM that does not have a lot of wind on a daily basis?
In my experience, NO.

Wind is endemic to West Texas, so I'm used to it, but yesterday was a bit over the top.

I left Farmington about 9CST...the wind was blowing, but not enough that I noticed it that much when I left.

I got outside of Bernalillo (talk about new development going up EVERYWHERE there)...and it was blowing dust and high winds all the way to Andrews, TX. I had to WORK to keep the car in the road, and the dust made visibility almost non-existent in places.

The wind at Las Vegas/Vadito was certainly there last year, but not quite as bad as what I drove home in yesterday.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:21 AM

35 posts, read 194,438 times
Wind was blowing 30 mph today. I live in Gallup.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:52 PM

25 posts, read 270,295 times
Default Rio Rancho Wind?

Is it that windy in Rio Rancho? How often do you get these winds and dust storms? I'm fine with it happening every once in a while, but think I would be annoyed if it were a daily occurrence. Any info. would be greatly appreciated!

Old 03-01-2007, 02:55 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,289,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jch928 View Post
Is it that windy in Rio Rancho? How often do you get these winds and dust storms? I'm fine with it happening every once in a while, but think I would be annoyed if it were a daily occurrence. Any info. would be greatly appreciated!

Yes it gets windy and dusty in Rio Rancho. This time of year we can get a whole lot of wind. The state gets much more wind to the east of the sandias.
Spring and fall we get the most winds. There are very nice days during those seasons also. It does not happen every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico