U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 06:31 PM

575 posts, read 1,454,492 times

Advertisements

My husband and I live in New Hampshire and plan to retire to New Mexico in a year or two. We lived in Las Cruces for a year in the 90s and have decided that we would rather be in the northern part of the state. We have been researching the Town of Cochiti Lake, have visited there a couple of times, and have talked and emailed with residents about life there.

The town is the right size, and it seems like it would be fairly easy to become involved in the community. We like the area, the lake, the available housing, and the peace and quiet.

On the other hand, I wonder about potential problems with leasing land.
Do any of you know anything about the Town of Cochiti Lake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 02:46 PM
TKO

713 posts, read 1,470,302 times
Most banks will look at the 99 year lease the same as ownership.

There are problems with the water quality of the lake. The canyons surrounding Los Alamos drain into the Rio Grande upriver and they weren't as careful about potentially hazardous waste in the old days. That's just conjecture though, I've seen no reports to substantiate it. I do know there's a no consumption order for fish in the lake.

You can check it some more at the nmgfd website. Google the acronym and it will be on the first page.

Old 02-13-2007, 05:38 PM

Default Cochiti Lake

Thank you for the response, TKO. Yep, I found a fish consumption advisory for Cochiti Lake. I wonder what swimming in the water does for humans...

I know that you've all gotten some big snowstorms this winter. Can anyone tell me what the roads were like in the Cochiti Lake area? Did they get plowed right away? The drive in to Santa Fe or to Albuquerque looks lovely in the summer but there's a lot of emptiness out there, if your car should slide off the road as mine has done a couple of times here in NH. Do people get snowed in--or was this just a freak year for snowfall?

Another question--did I read somewhere that either drought or heavy snow conditions have driven mountain lions down to the lake area?

Old 02-13-2007, 07:51 PM
TKO

713 posts, read 1,470,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairz View Post
Thank you for the response, TKO. Yep, I found a fish consumption advisory for Cochiti Lake. I wonder what swimming in the water does for humans...

I know that you've all gotten some big snowstorms this winter. Can anyone tell me what the roads were like in the Cochiti Lake area? Did they get plowed right away? The drive in to Santa Fe or to Albuquerque looks lovely in the summer but there's a lot of emptiness out there, if your car should slide off the road as mine has done a couple of times here in NH. Do people get snowed in--or was this just a freak year for snowfall?

Another question--did I read somewhere that either drought or heavy snow conditions have driven mountain lions down to the lake area?
Personally, I wouldn't swim in it, a have fished and boated in though. It doesn't glow in the dark.

Someone else will come along to answer the road questions, I've never lived there. Must roads to communities are well maintained though.

I live in suburbia in the southern part of the state and with no appriciable snow and lions have been found within 1/2 mile of my house. They live here too, but are usually a non-issue. They're appearance makes for good press, but far, far more people get injured by dogs.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:24 PM

7 posts, read 12,254 times
Cochiti Lake
What type off fish are in the lake and when is the best time for fishing

Old 03-23-2007, 12:17 PM

2 posts, read 8,802 times
Also from NH and moved to Cochiti Lake in February 2007. There are 2 other families from NH there. Small community. It's fabulous. No problems with bank on purchase. Roads were plowed, neighbors are friendly, quiet and peaceful, amazing scenery, mountains and hiking all around, lake is beautiful, Santa Fe river flows near also, golf course is top rated, wouldn't live many other places in NM!

Old 03-23-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitta View Post
Also from NH and moved to Cochiti Lake in February 2007. There are 2 other families from NH there. Small community. It's fabulous. No problems with bank on purchase. Roads were plowed, neighbors are friendly, quiet and peaceful, amazing scenery, mountains and hiking all around, lake is beautiful, Santa Fe river flows near also, golf course is top rated, wouldn't live many other places in NM!
Wow! Thank you so much for your reply. It's great to know that there are others from NH there already. I sure hope that our plans work out. You're right, we've traveled all over New Mexico and have lived in Las Cruces, but Cochiti Lake looks like the perfect place.

I was going to ask if it took you long to meet people, but it obviously hasn't if you've only been there a month and already have located the New Englanders. Have you taken part in many community events or meetings?

~clairz

Old 03-23-2007, 04:33 PM

2 posts, read 8,802 times
Interesting question, because, the town is holding elections in April and there are opposing "parties" running against each other. For such a small community, the politics are very complex. The controversial issues rest around the town's relationship with the pueblo, which apparently has had its setbacks because of financial disputes, and the issue of a full-time librarian. We don't know enough to make a decision yet, but there will be two public forums before the election.

We've heard that in the summer there are many community events and block parties. It's truly a unique place in many ways.

But once you take your first hike towards the Jemez mountains and look back towards the little town with its terra-cotta colored houses, as it settles in the setting sun, you won't want to leave.

Old 03-24-2007, 12:00 PM

Default Meetings in CL

I have noticed that some of the meetings in CL get a bit heated , or at least that is what I think that I am reading between the lines in the minutes that are posted on the town web site. Sadly enough, our town meetings here in my town in NH are history because we have just passed SB2. As you no doubt already know, that's the official ballot bill. Once it has been passed people just go to the polls instead of having the traditional town meeting with debate on and explanation of the warrants. I would certainly welcome the opportunity for some good old fashioned democratic debate once again.

I'll be interested to see what happens with the library position. When we visited last summer we spent some time in the library with some very welcoming and friendly volunteers, who were happy to answer any questions we had about life there. As I am a retiring school librarian, I am looking forward to doing some library volunteering.

How did you happen to settle on Cochiti Lake as a place to move to?

~clairz

Old 03-27-2007, 10:16 AM

33,592 posts, read 28,719,976 times
Greetings Clairz - My wife and I live in Londonderry, NH and would like to retire to NM in the nearish future. We would like to talk with you about your choice of Cochiti Lake north of Albuquerque. I have been in teh Jemez area a long time ago. One of the things we are trying to avoid is snow and ice because as we age walking without slipping is a consideration.

Please PM me for our telephone #.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico