Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2008, 03:41 PM

775 posts, read 2,587,926 times

Advertisements

Ive never been to Timberon and ive always wanted to go since i was a Teenager i use to spend lots of times with the Mescalero Apaches running with them up some of their Trails in the Mountains in the Area. One of the trails i use to run with them was the one going up a little Mountain near a Church called Our Lady of Guadalupe. Ive always loved running with a Passion but its not good for your knees when you hit your 50s. For those who like the Cloudcroft, Timberon Area i think theres going to be lots of Activities and Festivities NOW in October. And I Believe they are Having a Great Pinon Crop out there at 20 to 40 dollars a lb i would think there is some profit in picking pinon. Some Trees can have 10 lbs of Pinon or more. An Indian can pick 25 lbs of pinon in a day One by One. My best is about 3 lbs in less then an hour but you cant keep up that pace. My best use to be about 10 or 12 lbs in a day where there was lots of big pinon. Everyone should pick pinon at least once in their lifetime. Ive Roasted several Thousand lbs of Pinon and there is an Art to Roasting Pinon. el pintada kid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 06:48 AM

229 posts, read 655,633 times
Default Pintata kid

I am right now in the Mid west and have heard on this site about Pinons.
What are they. How do you eat them, what are they good for. I am hoping to be out there in a year or so when the elections are over and thngs get back t normal (that's If).
Anita

Old 10-11-2008, 07:14 AM

502 posts, read 1,380,019 times
Pinon crop in the Sacramento Mountains is pretty low this year. I've got alot of trees on the property and only one has produced any significant amount. Went out a week or so ago to what use to be a really good area. Lot's of empty cones and the ones that have pinons in them are all dry.
As for price, would like to know where you came up with $20.00 to $40.00 a pound? Going price is $8.00 to $10.00 a pound every place I have seen.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:17 AM

502 posts, read 1,380,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrokee69 View Post
I am right now in the Mid west and have heard on this site about Pinons.
What are they. How do you eat them, what are they good for. I am hoping to be out there in a year or so when the elections are over and thngs get back t normal (that's If).
Anita
Pinon nuts are the nut produced by a Pinon tree
They grow in a cone, like a minature pine cone. Kind of hard to describe what the taste is. They have a shell on them so the meat has to be removed. A good sized pinon will be about the size of half a dime.
Most of what I'm seeing this year is smaller then that.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:24 AM

775 posts, read 2,587,926 times
Default Prices On Pinon Kid Tip

Its hard to post a price on Pinon because of the Size difference and are we talking Raw or Salted and Roasted. Salted and Roasted a few years ago was about 15 a lb. This year it will be lots scarce and hard to find so i estimate 20 or more a lb. 20 years ago N.M.pinon was selling in Colorado for 30 dollars a lb. Please dont Mistake the New Mexico Pinon with the Pinon of any other State. Pintada Kid Tip. >>>> You Eat Pinon like Sunflower seeds some people can put a handful in their mouths and spit the shells one side of their mouth while they are eating. >>> Pinon from Mexico does not even compare to N.M. Pinon. The Pinon from Mexico is Rock Hard. Unlike the N.M. pinon that has a soft shell. We wont know the True price on Pinon for awhile the Crop is just Starting but Farmers Market starting selling it for 15 dollars lb and they seem to have run out. Ive been Pinon Picking in most every area of N.M. where theres been a good Crop but i dont seem to remember anyone who has picked pinon in the Cloudcroft Timberon Area? Maybe thats what the Group that gathers in Timberon should do have a Pinon picking Contest. Some Trees have so much pinon in the Shells that if you put a tarp down and shake the Tree you can also pick it that way. Warning for Humans about Bears and Mountain lions try not to smell like a Cheeseburger and while Shaking the Tree make sure there isnt a Porcupine or a Snake on the Tree you dont want to Shake them on your Back also watch for Rattlesnakes and little Cactuses. OUCH. P.S. most people dont know how to Roast and Salt Pinon its an Art to do it just right. The Pinon that is Burned or not Roasted right or is small is sold Cheap. el pintada kid

Old 10-12-2008, 11:07 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,340,034 times
Pintada Kid,
Get some glucosimine. It helps with your joints.
Also do squats, it strengthens the knees and legs.
Just don't run on rocky roads in Timberon. I won't get into that story though.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:11 PM

215 posts, read 652,263 times
Default I think he saw me coming !

OK...so there was a 'seller' here in Raton and I bought a bag of his Pinon. Being the newbie that I am and not really knowing what a good vs bad Pinon was, I just assumed there was only one kind. Well, I got the 'rock hard' ones. I roasted them thinking that would make them easier to shell, but it didn't help at all. I ended up throwing the whole bag out, they were totally impossible to shell, I even tried a mallet....lol...that was a mistake They were $15. so I guess I learned a good lesson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico