Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 10:01 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,362,867 times

Advertisements

I finally found a place to go riding out here. Its over in the East Mountains, not as close by as I would like, but was told the trails there are much much better. So will have to check it out one of these days. I have horses I could be riding if I wanted to go to AZ every day. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 02:49 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,250,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziaAirmac View Post
Buckskin is my favorite, but love the blonde. He looks like a formidable presence in the first shot...great pics.

Gracias. Thank God he is a gentle giant, eh? Believe it or not, that is the progeny of a Friesian sire and a percheron dam. Imagine coming out to the stall in the morning and finding THAT bundle of joy! lol

Old 11-21-2008, 02:56 PM

Thanks, Tia.

You AND your poor girl. I think it makes it worse when they suffer in silence, you feel so bad for them, being so stoic.

Good idea on looking to retired police mounts, I dare say you'd not find such a been there, done that mount anywhere else!

Unfortunately most breeds are overcooked. Too much inbreeding and such. I laugh when someone says "MY walking horse goes back to The Pusher." Yup. So does everyone elses. lol

Trace is 18.2 and about 2400 lbs. He's doin' dressage now- he definately has the movement for it.

When you call the *state* here, we're the ones that get the calls. Both my husband and I are board members of our state's oldest equine rescue and he was recently elected as president. I'm a senior investigator and helped teach a two day equine cruelty investigation seminar this past weekend- with other rescues, individuals as well as animal control officers from other areas in attendance.

I enjoy it and hope to continue in NM. :-)

Old 11-21-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
I finally found a place to go riding out here. Its over in the East Mountains, not as close by as I would like, but was told the trails there are much much better. So will have to check it out one of these days. I have horses I could be riding if I wanted to go to AZ every day. LOL

What? You don't want to make the trip? And here you call yourself a horse lover! Everybody KNOWS that Arizona and New Mexico are the same place. *sheesh-lol*

Old 11-21-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
What? You don't want to make the trip? And here you call yourself a horse lover! Everybody KNOWS that Arizona and New Mexico are the same place. *sheesh-lol*
Yea, but that 8 hr drive one way would be a killer. LOL

Old 11-22-2008, 12:04 AM

261 posts, read 936,223 times
I ran into a herd of these a couple of years ago while hunting up in the Carson. I was hunkered down one morning in a little valley that was socked in by fog. I could hear something way off moving toward me. Then I could feel them. It was a big black stallion and about a half dozen mares at full gallop. Pretty impressive to see them break through into the open.

Horse whispering - Farmington Daily Times

Old 11-25-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Yea, but that 8 hr drive one way would be a killer. LOL

You weanie!

Old 11-25-2008, 02:36 PM

464 posts, read 1,157,432 times
Quote:
You weanie!

LMBO! You two! I'll be back later, I'm bakin' PIES right now! 1's a new one, well, two of 4 are new

Ya'll ever heard of those Tiger horses? I think there's a ranch in NM. Need to check.
Whoa, Niiiiice lookin' and gaited and mountain friendly I've heard. Ran across them again, searchin' the Net this week

Ok and either of you planning on growing crops of hay when you move??? {well yeah, Alison is already there } Mixed grasses maybe?

I use alfalfa when I'm going to breed mine, otherwise it can make em Hot, that's why they like it for the Race Quarter horses {and throughbreds} Grows well there.

How many do you think you'll move Ramblin'? Oh how I'd love to have seen Trace in the flesh

As soon as the pies are done I'm runnin' out to the Barn.... decided last chance before T-day.....be back later!

Tia Dalma
Daylight's burnin'!

Old 11-26-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiaDalma View Post
LMBO! You two! I'll be back later, I'm bakin' PIES right now! 1's a new one, well, two of 4 are new

Ya'll ever heard of those Tiger horses? I think there's a ranch in NM. Need to check.
Whoa, Niiiiice lookin' and gaited and mountain friendly I've heard. Ran across them again, searchin' the Net this week

Ok and either of you planning on growing crops of hay when you move??? {well yeah, Alison is already there } Mixed grasses maybe?

I use alfalfa when I'm going to breed mine, otherwise it can make em Hot, that's why they like it for the Race Quarter horses {and throughbreds} Grows well there.

How many do you think you'll move Ramblin'? Oh how I'd love to have seen Trace in the flesh

As soon as the pies are done I'm runnin' out to the Barn.... decided last chance before T-day.....be back later!

Tia Dalma
Daylight's burnin'!

We didn't grow our own hay in Maine and we won't be doing it here. We fed mostly timothy hay back there. Not sure if its available here or not. Most likely we will be feeding alfalfa. Hopefully we can find a horse friendly place next summer. Hub is now of the mind to rent and not buy. Grrrrrrrr. Wish he'd make up his mind.

Googled the Tiger horses and there is a breeder in Santa Fe.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
You weanie!
Hey, I flew cross country with a bored 4 yr old, not ready to drive to Kingman with him just yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico