U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-22-2011, 05:40 PM

17,524 posts, read 18,714,654 times

Advertisements

Best HORSE Area of New Mexico?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PasoFinoGirl View Post
I am a horse person looking to relocate to New Mexico. Where are the best areas for buying affordable horse property and good riding?
There is no "Best" horse area of New Mexico.

Like AlisonL has mentioned, Corrales. Not sure if that's the best. I see a lot of horses there, but we go through Corrales several times per week.

New Mexico is a large state with a lot of geographic areas.

Don't know how much land you need. And what you consider affordable. There are some nice areas in the North Valley Albuquerque with areas suitable for horses and near (with access) to the Bosque (Rio Grande) for about $400,000.

I am a little bit familiar with the above because I have lived in this area 12 years. My wife, daughter and grandkids go horseback riding on occasion and we know people who have or have had horses. But that is a small portion of the state...

You might look over this site with some links and groups: American Trails: Trail Resources in New Mexico

Rich

Photo Contests Open For Everyone For Voting:

November 2014 "Theme" Contest
November 2014 "Show Us Your Best Shot" Contest

Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 06:51 PM

26 posts, read 27,377 times
While I am just a horse lover, not an expert, perhaps I can point you in the right direction. There is a nationally recognized fox hunting club, Juan Tomas Hounds About JTH (http://www.juantomashounds.com/about.htm - broken link) located in the Albuquerque area. Most fox hunters have an intimate knowledge of horse country. Hopefully you can get at least some of your answers through their website.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:25 AM

4 posts, read 4,971 times
I don't really want to be very remote. I'd like to see a movie at a movie theatre once in awhile so within 30 min. of a town. A small town would be great. Was looking at Silver City and places down around there. Is it true the wind blows all the time?

Old 06-23-2011, 08:11 AM

You might read this thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...ml#post7174099

Old 06-23-2011, 04:25 PM

1,134 posts, read 1,455,840 times
Quote:
I don't really want to be very remote. I'd like to see a movie at a movie theatre once in awhile so within 30 min. of a town. A small town would be great. Was looking at Silver City and places down around there. Is it true the wind blows all the time?
If you consider Silver City small, that narrows things down quite a bit.

AFAIK, only the Lincoln Forest is regularly closed. So anywhere else with a lot of public land near should be viable. Public lands in NM: http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...te_map_own.pdf

The higher altitude areas in the southern part of the state will have the mildest climate... ie least summer/winter extremes.

What sort of climate, terrain, and foliage do you prefer?

The east side of the Black Range of the Gila, west of TorC might be a good area...

Old 06-23-2011, 11:09 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,152,037 times
I also know people with horses in Bosque Farms. They moved from Santa Fe so they could afford more property for horses. Many of their neighbors have horses and one livestock animal (something about taxes are lower so you see fenced in yards with a cow or a sheep or whatever qualifies.)

Old 06-23-2011, 11:33 PM

Yes, Bosque Farms, we know someone with a horse there, also going south in Los Lunas, and Belen. East mountains, Edgewood I have seen riders... All in the Albuquerque area.

Rich

Old 06-24-2011, 07:08 AM

1,816 posts, read 1,762,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
I also know people with horses in Bosque Farms. They moved from Santa Fe so they could afford more property for horses. Many of their neighbors have horses and one livestock animal (something about taxes are lower so you see fenced in yards with a cow or a sheep or whatever qualifies.)
The livestock probably allows for agricultural zoning where taxes are lower. Different counties have different rules though - many times one cow does not provide enough for the exemption. Sometimes it is also the size of the acreage and sometimes it is both. The buyer should talk to the county zoning commission.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:30 AM

4 posts, read 4,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
If you can afford it, check out Corrales. Horses are number 1 there. People take a back seat to them. Really its a very horse friendly village.
Are there a lot of trails there as well?

Old 06-25-2011, 06:40 AM

1,816 posts, read 1,762,251 times
Quote:
Are there a lot of trails there as well?
Get a book called "Saddle up, New Mexico". It has descriptions of hundreds of trails and is exactly what you want to get an idea of where to ride in the state, including camping and water availability. You are asking people who don't ride to give you advice here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico