Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 08:16 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boingo82 View Post
With regards to building, what are the impact fees in Farmington? Are there other fees that one should know about when wanting to build a house?
I thought I would update you....impact fees were listed on my 2 contracts, but not checked as an expense for either me, the buyer or the seller.

I just terminated a contract this morning after a property inspection--by the time I got through with everything I wanted to do, the costs ended up being nearly as high as building new, so I just scrapped it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 11:33 PM

28 posts, read 149,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I thought I would update you....impact fees were listed on my 2 contracts, but not checked as an expense for either me, the buyer or the seller.

I just terminated a contract this morning after a property inspection--by the time I got through with everything I wanted to do, the costs ended up being nearly as high as building new, so I just scrapped it.
That's funny, we just terminated a contract in Farmington after we discovered the realtor was trying to hide termite damage from us. Good luck to you in finding or building a place!

Old 04-20-2007, 12:30 AM

476 posts, read 2,318,794 times
Cathy, I am sorry to hear about what happened. I wish I could say I know what you are going through but I havent been looking for a house yet, still in an apartment but I at least sympathize with you. At least you were wise in getting an inspection because I think that could save you on down the road.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
That's funny, we just terminated a contract in Farmington after we discovered the realtor was trying to hide termite damage from us. Good luck to you in finding or building a place!
That just totally SUCKS. But I'm glad you found out before it was too late.

I can't stress it enough....inspect, inspect, and re-inspect after repairs.

It's not cheap, but it is money very, very well spent!

The Realtor should be hauled in for that, too. That is so blatantly unethical that it makes me sick.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LUVNM View Post
Cathy, I am sorry to hear about what happened. I wish I could say I know what you are going through but I havent been looking for a house yet, still in an apartment but I at least sympathize with you. At least you were wise in getting an inspection because I think that could save you on down the road.
Luv, thanks, I appreciate it. It really is OK. There is always another home down the road...or even another town!!

I will probably come back in August, if I don't find anything in Alamo. I plan to check that out very carefully in a few months.

It is always worth the extra effort in the long run, even if I get impatient.

Old 04-20-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
That just totally SUCKS. But I'm glad you found out before it was too late.

I can't stress it enough....inspect, inspect, and re-inspect after repairs.

It's not cheap, but it is money very, very well spent!

The Realtor should be hauled in for that, too. That is so blatantly unethical that it makes me sick.
We had a home inspection scheduled for the same day we broke contract...when we realized what she was doing we decided to save ourselves the $300 on the inspection.
She did not give us disclosures until after we signed contract. (We're new at this and didn't immediately realize this was a problem!) Then the disclosures were incompletely filled out. Specifically the question about a history of wood-boring insects. When we tried to ask about the incomplete part, she said, "The time to ask questions is over!!! But I will see if the seller knows about that.."

She did not HAVE to ask the seller. She KNEW. She KNEW because just that same month a contract fell through on the house because they discovered termite damage. And she tried to conceal that.

We've since gotten a great buyer's agent. Hopefully the search gets better.

Old 04-20-2007, 01:41 PM

Quote:
We had a home inspection scheduled for the same day we broke contract...when we realized what she was doing we decided to save ourselves the $300 on the inspection.
She did not give us disclosures until after we signed contract. (We're new at this and didn't immediately realize this was a problem!) Then the disclosures were incompletely filled out. Specifically the question about a history of wood-boring insects. When we tried to ask about the incomplete part, she said, "The time to ask questions is over!!! But I will see if the seller knows about that.."

She did not HAVE to ask the seller. She KNEW. She KNEW because just that same month a contract fell through on the house because they discovered termite damage. And she tried to conceal that.

We've since gotten a great buyer's agent. Hopefully the search gets better.
Ooooh boy. The disclosures are to be presented BEFORE you sign on the dotted line. Getting a buyer's agent is a good idea, but since I am an agent myself (currently licensed but inactive), she is just functioning as a transaction broker without a written contract. The sellers should repair the damage and disclose, disclose, disclose. They could be in for a whopping lawsuit if they don't.

I disclose immediately that I am a licensed agent in TX, and I noted that on the contracts I signed, too, even though it is not required in NM.

I am glad you found that out before you were out the money for the inspection.

But I will always pay for an inspection. It's a necessary evil.

Would you please consider reporting the agent to the state board? There is NO excuse for such blatant dishonesty. She deserves to have her license suspended/revoked. The San Juan County Board of Realtors can give you the information.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:54 PM

We would definitely consider reporting her.

And we'll be getting an inspection on any house we put contract on at this point. It's cheaper to get one and not need it than to wish you'd gotten it. Pretty much anything the inspection will discover would've cost wayy more than the cost of the inspection to fix.

Our agent so far has been notifying us of any homes to come on the market meeting our criteria. She also is taking Sunday to take us through several houses. I haven't met her in person but she's great on the phone and we're meeting her this weekend.

I know a buyer's agent will not necessarily solve every problem, however, it will help to have someone on our side who is more educated about the legalities involved in Real Estate transactions. Also it is a possibility that we may still buy the house we broke contract on. We are possibly still interested in it, but would not consider completing the transaction without another agent involved to represent our interests. (Also we shudder to think of the dishonest realtor getting "our" share of the commission.)

Old 04-20-2007, 07:26 PM

Quote:
We would definitely consider reporting her.

And we'll be getting an inspection on any house we put contract on at this point. It's cheaper to get one and not need it than to wish you'd gotten it. Pretty much anything the inspection will discover would've cost wayy more than the cost of the inspection to fix.

Our agent so far has been notifying us of any homes to come on the market meeting our criteria. She also is taking Sunday to take us through several houses. I haven't met her in person but she's great on the phone and we're meeting her this weekend.

I know a buyer's agent will not necessarily solve every problem, however, it will help to have someone on our side who is more educated about the legalities involved in Real Estate transactions. Also it is a possibility that we may still buy the house we broke contract on. We are possibly still interested in it, but would not consider completing the transaction without another agent involved to represent our interests. (Also we shudder to think of the dishonest realtor getting "our" share of the commission.)
I know exactly what you mean. Good luck in your transaction. You'll find something, and with a good agent, it will go that much more smoothly, I hope.

She can most likely help you with any decisons on the home you're interested in.

Right now, I'm still so tired I wanna drop!!! I don't even want to ride in a car, LOL!!!

Old 04-21-2007, 02:16 AM

476 posts, read 2,318,794 times
Yes Cathy, let me know how Alamo is. I dont know much about it. I know it is near the dunes but not much else. I need a place later in my life to retire in and am looking in a couple of places. For a single mother, beautiful Durango, the city I love is pretty much out for me since homes are so expensive, so I am going to go look at Canon City, Colorado which is supposed to be a cheaper place to live. The prisons, which there are alot of in the Canon City area, kind of are spooky to me, but still will check the area out. Alamo might be another option so I would like to know your "adventure" there too for info on the area. Farmington is fine, I am happy here, I just think homes are too high for a single mom to carry. I dont want a mobile home either. I want a home. So keep us informed. Colorado has great schools and I want my daughter to go to good schools. NM constantly ranks at the bottom on education. If you got bucks you can put them in private. Anyway, let me know how it goes. Oh, I forgot to tell you, Bayfield, CO they are building some nice homes there, I saw them first hand in Pine Valley called Dove Ranch in a beautiful green valley. Not large homes, just regular homes but nice and not high. Many were in the low 200s. So might be a potential. I may look into it myself. I do love the Durango rec center as well. Durango is also building a multi-million dollar library so another plus. Bayfield is still in La Plata County where Durango is, so that is good too.

Boingo82, report her, it isnt right. Realtors are supposed to be honest but not only that, it is the law that they are honest so please report her. I dont understand why the people selling the home just wasnt honest. I mean it wouldnt make me turn away to know about termite damage. I would have inspections on termite damage and know to regularly have termite spraying. Termites can happen in about any place although I dont hear about it much like down south but anyway, why not just be honest and disclose it? It would turn me off for someone to be dishonest about something on selling their home. Would it have turned you off Boingo82 if they were just honest in the first place?

Last edited by I_LUVNM; 04-21-2007 at 02:28 AM.. Reason: Added stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico