U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-27-2007, 10:01 AM

3 posts, read 8,441 times
Default Las Vegas, NM / Highlands / school district

Hi everyone. I've read through some of the threads talking about LV, NM but have a couple of other questions.

I'm getting ready to transfer next spring/summer to complete my undergrad studies after I finish my associates here in Albuquerque. I do *not* want to attend unm and am not really interested in staying in Albuq either. The only two schools that have the majors and minors I'm looking for are Highlands and Eastern. I haven't been to portales, but the weather and scenery in las vegas seems a lot more appealing to me, plus there are soooo many historical buildings there and that's linked to my professional goals.

I've been to las vegas twice, once just a few months ago, but was only there for a day/night on the weekend. I met quite a few of the locals who knew one of my friends there, and they all seemed really friendly and were very diverse.

So with the East and West sides of las vegas are the more historic/older buildings and homes mostly on the west side or does the east side also have historic areas? Is there any large differences in rental prices between either side? Is the plaza and the side streets surrounding it east or west side?

Onto the schools... I have two young children who will be in the lower grades of elementary school while I'm there, I should be done with my degree before they're in middle school. Do you have any suggestions regarding some of the best schools in las vegas, either in the west or east sides? One of my little ones has some developmental disabilities and currently receives some physical therapy through our district here, have any of you had any experiences with the special education sectors of either district in las vegas?

As to crime it *is* good that many have said it's mainly related to those who are involved with the wrong crowd, unlike albuq. in many ways.

Oh and has anyone by chance lived in the family housing that Highlands has? I hear there's a bit of a waiting list, but the rent is pretty cheap.

Any other advice regarding living in las vegas for a couple years?

I'm also interested to hear from undergrad students at highlands (past or present). Apart from the whole president thing over the years, it seems like a great school (and small!!!). I'm a little bothered that 3 of my emails (on different subjects/to different people) have gone unanswered except for one unrelated form email I received, but I have heard that some people up there do not use the net for communicating a ton, so maybe i'd be better off calling them? For Highlands students are there any things you love or hate about the college?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 07:57 PM

147 posts, read 399,358 times
Hi Adela,

Sadly, I can't comment on most of your questions because A.) I'm new to Las Vegas myself, B.) I don't have children, and C.) I'm staying in campus housing. However, I can tell you that Highlands has been great for me so far. I got my BA at UNM, and I'm up here for my Master's. I like it a lot more than I did UNM simply because classes are smaller and your instructors actually get to know you. The campus seems pretty safe to me - I always see campus police circling around.

There's nothing I "hate" about Las Vegas or Highlands. I guess if I had to pick one thing to gripe about, it'd be the fact that there isn't really much to do up here in your free time. But since you have children, I'm pretty sure your free time is pretty much occupied.

Good luck!

PS: There usually is a waiting list for family housing, but it wouldn't hurt to apply anyway and see what happens. I believe the family housing is called "Gregg House", and you can find the application at the NMHU site.

Old 03-03-2007, 02:23 PM

52 posts, read 268,426 times
I am from Las Vegas and also graduated from Highlands. What is nice about Highlands is the ratio of professors to students. There is more of a one on one feel. You are not just a an I.D number to them.
As for schools, I would stick with the east side district. West side schools are located in poorer areas of town and you will find more gang affiliation there. There is Paul D. Henry elementary and a newer one called Sierra Vista or something like that. It is located near the new hospital that was built. When you call the schools ask about their special education programs.
Good luck with your housing situation. My parents lived there so I did not have to get a dorm or rent a house. There are some nice apartments located going towards walmart. The housing near the college is okay too but if you have little children it might not be a good idea, because of partying, etc...
I hope this info helps. Let me know if you have more questions

Old 09-29-2009, 12:47 AM

39 posts, read 85,798 times
Do not move your family into Greg House if you have children. The **** roaches are are very bad. The heaters only heat one room. they are kept below hud standards for safety and health. You will have to keep all your stuff in plastic boxes especially food. People leave furniture behind rather than risk moving the bugs with them. Move to Highlands yes over Eastern unless you like the Texas weather and cattle smell and heat. Las Vegas is ok to live in. I had stuff stolen out of storage here by the owners but don't experience the crime wave of somewhere like Gallup or parts of Albuquerque. The college has small classes that I am enjoying very much. My special needs are well met. If you complain housing will try to find a reason for you to move so I would recommend other housing. They come thru your place often and guests are limited.If you qualify for substized housing I would get on a list right away. Some of the motels have roaches and bed bugs so stay out of the cheap ones. Staying at a hotel seems ok for temporary. What ever you do do not move to Gregg house. They are in the old heating system, the old appliances which are being replaced, in tiles, in the shower curtain rod in broken tiles and hollow walls. What ever they are spraying only kills a few and the poisons will get to you. The grounds around Gregg house are not well kept, are dirty and many maintenance and facilities people have a knack for looking busy but not acommplishing very much. Summer is the best time to look for off campus housing. Few of the tendants kids pick up after themselves and the parents are clueless that that means the should do it. There is a petition going around on this issue but it is slow to get real results to a problem that has been going on for so long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico