U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2011, 03:01 PM

2 posts, read 8,292 times

Advertisements

Were heading to the pacos river to hog hunt its a great place
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 04:16 PM
TKO

2,147 posts, read 2,803,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike b 1 View Post
Leave the javalina alone? Why? There's thousand's of the viscious critter's around and they WILL attack you and your dog's. They almost killed my dog and they have killed many dog's in Arizona. I say, shoot 'em.
What did they do, jump your back fence? If your taking your dogs loose where javelina live then it's on you buddy. Shoot them in season according to our laws and there's no issue. Poach 'em and you are a poaching mother******. Pays to be viscous in the wild, after all it's a character trait that has served us well.

edit: good luck ks!

Old 04-01-2011, 09:22 AM

7 posts, read 20,524 times
Three mile canyon in the Sacramentos is full of feral hogs, as well as the Grey Ranch in the bootheel. The ones in the bootheel are "lard hogs" and have no good meat on them to speak of, just fat. They are remnants of the old miner's hogs used to preserve elk meat. The cowboys rope the hogs from horses! In teh Sacs they are mostly Russian Boar genetics and are hard to hunt. It is best to bait them with a sack of corn soaked in beer.

On the Pecos between Roswell and Carlsbad they hunt them with hounds. There are a lot of hogs but a lot of landowners wont let you hunt them because they want to hunt them. Theyare rapidly taking over.

No hogs near Alb at all, nor javelina.

Javelina all over the south. They are rapidly expanding too. No shortage of either animal in New Mexico. I just shot a 65 lb. Javelina near Las Cruces.

There is no biological reason why either animal cant be hunted. The hogs are non-native and need to be exterminated BADLY. They are not easy on the fragile land here and push all other species out of their territory. They are especially hard on wild turkey. They eat the eggs. They cause all sorts of erosion and carry diseases that jump to other species.

Javelina are multiplying like rats. The territory grows by miles each year. I honestly dont believe the attack stories at all. I have hunted them all my life and have NEVER heard of anyone being attacked. They are nearly blind and will run right into you when scared, but they are not atacking...They just cant see you. A dog? Sure. Coyotes often pray on shoats and they will defend. Nothing new there.

No license required for hogs at all. Javelins does require license and the deadline is March 31 I believe.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:08 PM

8 posts, read 26,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killshottt View Post
Were heading to the pacos river to hog hunt its a great place
Did you bag any? If so, where is a good place along the Pecos. I know that most of the land down there is private.

Semper Fi
John

Old 04-10-2011, 11:30 AM

206 posts, read 422,551 times
Hey Bob, Google up "Javelina attack's"... there's lot's of info.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:11 AM

2 posts, read 8,292 times
Most od the land near the pacos is private but the farmers are glad to let you take out those stupidbhogs

Old 04-20-2011, 06:38 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,574,957 times
I have limited my hunting to smaller pests like rats and rabbits here in the Northeast. I have not hunted anything in a while since my town forbids the discharge of a firearm except at the gun club range. When we move to NM I might just take up pest control again.

I have a technical question. How big a gun do you need? I have a Winchester 94 in .45 Long Colt and figure that is big enough for a Javelina it might not be a one shot stopper on a 600 lb hog. I do not want to have to play with these critters with a pistol or spear! Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike b 1 View Post
Hey Bob, Google up "Javelina attack's"... there's lot's of info.
You can Google "alien abduction" and get a lot of info too.

Never heard of them attacking a person. Just a dog. They have run right at me a hundred times and even bumped into my legs but they werent attacking me. Just scrambling to get away and could not see well.

Any wild animal will be defensive in certain situations and they will respond to a dog as they are recognized as a predator. I suppose people have been attacked in certain situations. Sort of like a black bear attack I would suspect. I dont think anyone has anything to worry about from javelinas, but you can be as concerned about javelina attack as you would care to be in your own personal situation.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have limited my hunting to smaller pests like rats and rabbits here in the Northeast. I have not hunted anything in a while since my town forbids the discharge of a firearm except at the gun club range. When we move to NM I might just take up pest control again.

I have a technical question. How big a gun do you need? I have a Winchester 94 in .45 Long Colt and figure that is big enough for a Javelina it might not be a one shot stopper on a 600 lb hog. I do not want to have to play with these critters with a pistol or spear! Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Any gun will do but I believe that the legal minimum size is a .22 centerfire cartridge. The rules here change regularly. Check with the NMDGF and see what the minimum legal cartridge is for that species.

We dont forbid discharge here. We require it. When New Mexicans get frustrated we whip out a pistol and shoot up in the air. It beats the heck out of Prozac and keeps your neighbors in line.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:29 PM

24,138 posts, read 38,895,616 times
Pigs gone wild a rural, urban problem - Forum finds feral hogs out of control in SE N.M.
Published 26 May 2011

ROSWELL, N.M. (KRQE) - Feral hogs are running wild, causing extensive damage and creating a health hazard in parts of New Mexico. State Game and Fish officer Adam Wright says wild hogs have been found in the Brantley Lakes, Seven Rivers and some waterfowl areas in southeastern New Mexico. State Rep. Candy Spence Ezzel of Roswell says some feral pigs are brazen enough to enter towns looking for food. A symposium this week addressed the out of control hog population that experts say is tearing up crops, causing economic hardships and posing a health hazard to humans and animals. Besides that, feral hogs are aggressive and can be dangerous. Although the wild pig population has exploded, authorities say there has been success with various trapping methods.
Information from: Roswell Daily Record, http://www.roswell-record.com

Also:

Feral hogs invade Roswell
Uploaded by KRQE on May 27, 2011
Dangerous animals threaten crops and people

YouTube - ‪Feral hogs invade Roswell‬‏

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico