U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 03:18 PM

5 posts, read 3,549 times
some good info in this thread, been reading it for awhile....

I'm in ABQ, anyone have any good luck or want to travel out for hogs if they know where they are, let me know, would like to go along.

If you are a landowner or know any that has a hog problem, let me know, I have two AR's equipment with Night Vision equipment, one with a PVS-14 and Eotech and other with a Pulsar N550....and you are welcome to use one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 06:19 PM

722 posts, read 863,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQDave View Post
some good info in this thread, been reading it for awhile....

I'm in ABQ, anyone have any good luck or want to travel out for hogs if they know where they are, let me know, would like to go along.

If you are a landowner or know any that has a hog problem, let me know, I have two AR's equipment with Night Vision equipment, one with a PVS-14 and Eotech and other with a Pulsar N550....and you are welcome to use one
They could use you in Mississippi.
Wild hogs a multiple threat to key Civil War battle site | Philadelphia Inquirer | 01/15/2012

Old 01-17-2012, 05:48 AM

32,923 posts, read 26,410,850 times
when we were visiting Italy we had some wild boar for lunch. Wonderful taste. Great lunch.

I'll have to add boar hunting to my to do list in New Mexico.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:56 AM

1,435 posts, read 1,791,219 times
It really isn't the same. I lived in Germany and they (small villages) kept one in backyards like our country folds kept a pig or two. They taste totally different than the ones like coming off my ranch.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:46 AM

DEb - IIRC the wild boar in that part, Tuscany, of Italy was actually hunted in the back country. Yes, there is back country in Italy.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:08 AM

12,886 posts, read 7,213,973 times
i never realized feral hogs were that big of a problem in NM. i wouldn't have expected them to do so well, esp. in the eastern plains area.

Quote:
Prolific feral swine populations are ravaging eastern New Mexico range and farmland and creating an ecological nightmare, according to state and federal wildlife officials.

An astonishing reproductive rate has seen hogs spread to 17 New Mexico counties in just seven years.

Farmer and rancher Ted Rush of Quay County has hunted and killed more than 300 feral swine on his land. They rooted up his feed roads and destroyed thousands of dollars in milo and sorghum crops.

Feral swine running wild in eastern New Mexico | mexico, feral, new - Clovis News Journal

Old 02-20-2012, 09:25 PM
TKO

686 posts, read 1,369,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
DEb - IIRC the wild boar in that part, Tuscany, of Italy was actually hunted in the back country. Yes, there is back country in Italy.
Good bird hunting in Italy. They make some real nice shotguns.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:03 AM

IIRC Beretta has been in the gun business for about 500 years. Yes, they make some fine guns.

I figured out on that trip I could live anywhere they grow wine grapes. Fortunately New Mexico has a lot of vineyards as illustrated in the latest issue of New Mexico magazine. Yeah, we had loin of pork with pasta and marinara sauce and a good local red wine. A very memorable lunch.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:28 AM
TKO

686 posts, read 1,369,418 times
^Pork loin, masterful job of staying on topic!

There are a few other manufacturers too, a little more high brow than Beretta, not that I wouldn't love a Beretta. Remember the beginning of Godfather II? Michael is partridge hunting in the Sicilian highlands.

This is what $30K buys, some gorgeous scroll work.
http://images.gunsinternational.com/listings/100211240-1-L.jpg (broken link)

Those wild boar can live almost anywhere. Almost as adaptable as us people. The Italians have been cooking with it for thousands of years and I'm sure they make a real tasty boar loin that has to go well with a nice montepulciano.

Last edited by TKO; 02-22-2012 at 07:38 AM..

Old 02-28-2012, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,370 times
Smile hog hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by _yb View Post
There use to be a pretty good population in the lincoln. When I was younger we would run into different herds of them all the time. Once you found areas were they rooted it was not that hard to locate them. They were very spooky though. I don't get up there like I use too. So I don't know if they are still around. They were all from local area escaped hogs.

I may be willing to give you a starting point if you are willing to hike. Trough pm of course.
Moderator cut: "This is a message board, so members can reply to you here or via Direct Message. Please check back for a reply. Others might benefit from answers from other members here."

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-03-2012 at 10:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico