U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 08:32 AM

502 posts, read 1,158,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Hmmm...can't help wondering why this question is asked? Do you know something about them that would be of interest to others? I know feral hogs are an increasing menace in parts of Texas and OK, but haven't heard of problems in this region - yet. Kinda wonder what happens when feral hogs meet native javelinas?

Trying to pin them down so to speak. There are alot of them in this region. I know that they are causing problems both North and South West of the Timberon area. Trying to get a feel for what areas they are currently being a problem. Hope they don't hit the Timberon area as they can trash and area in a heartbeat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 11:01 AM

7,268 posts, read 16,845,135 times
Haven't seen or especially heard of any.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Haven't seen or especially heard of any.
That's a good thing. I know they are within 20 or so miles of there, straight line. Really starting to be a pain in some areas.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:08 PM

7,268 posts, read 16,845,135 times
Thanks for the warning. I'll spread the word here. Word usually gets around quickly.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:24 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,857,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncat View Post
Trying to pin them down so to speak. There are alot of them in this region. I know that they are causing problems both North and South West of the Timberon area. Trying to get a feel for what areas they are currently being a problem. Hope they don't hit the Timberon area as they can trash and area in a heartbeat.
Thanks for the heads-up mtncat. How are they causing problems? What should we be looking for?

Old 01-15-2011, 05:59 PM

They will trash an area in a heartbeat, rooting around, messing up gardens and fields. I would look for areas look like they have been tilled under etc.
I was wrong on my distance. Recently got a pretty much confirmed report of them in the Pasture Ridge area, that is about 8 miles away from Timberon. Haven't seen any sign in the High Rolls area yet but have seen some Javelina, almost as bad.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:29 PM

1 posts, read 4,755 times
The USDA issued a bulletin on feral hog population across the US.
It's scary reading. The bulk of infestation in NM is the San Andres mountain & to the east.
The USDA bulletin says the hogs a variety of nasty diseases.
Good hunting!!

Old 01-20-2011, 03:54 PM

4 posts, read 23,409 times
Default Feral Pig hunts

You're in the right part of the state. All up and down the Pecos river East side Carlsbad~Roswell), South and west sides of Sierra Blanca/Lincoln Nat'l Forest(eastern areas good in early spring), along Rio Penasco. There are many up near Clayton/Sedan area and some farmers allow hunting early spring and not after the row crop get's up knee high or more. The majority of good hunting now is down south during the cold months. Winter wheat fields and peanut/cane/corn fields are loved by the hogs and the hogs are not enjoyed by the farmers.
There are some regulatory changes afoot from the NM fish and fur agency so you might check w/them before you go chasing. At last fall's last hunt you did not need any permits or certifications from them to hunt on federal lands.
Good hunting and save a few for me, 1903a3

Old 01-21-2011, 03:31 PM

1,399 posts, read 3,614,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
There's no shortage of javelina.
Probably very true, but a hunter is doing the NM environment a FAVOR by slaying feral hogs. They don't belong here, or anywhere for that matter, and are causing huge damage in some parts of the country.
I think javelinas are tasty when cooked right though..

Old 01-22-2011, 07:18 PM

2,878 posts, read 3,698,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
Probably very true, but a hunter is doing the NM environment a FAVOR by slaying feral hogs. They don't belong here, or anywhere for that matter, and are causing huge damage in some parts of the country.
I think javelinas are tasty when cooked right though..
How nice of the hunter (and the rancher) for doing the environment a favor AFTER they exterminated all the natural predators that would keep hog populations in check.... And how nice of you to tell us where other living beings belong!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico