Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 12:26 PM

390 posts, read 951,944 times

Advertisements

Was over in west Texas and there are hogs big as a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 02:15 AM

227 posts, read 535,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidwood View Post
Hello,

I'm looking into hunting feral pigs or javelina and need some inforamtion like the where-abouts they may be found. If you know someone I may contact, that would be best.

Thanks ahead of time.
I would hope that hunters would choose the feral pigs over the javelina, as the feral pigs are non-native to the southwest. JMO

Old 10-20-2009, 07:27 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,276,315 times
There's no shortage of javelina.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:42 AM

206 posts, read 535,019 times
Lots of feral hogs along the Pecos around Roswell. Also many on the Diamond A ranch, (Grey Ranch) in the bootheel.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:11 PM

4 posts, read 27,240 times
Default Hunt hogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidwood View Post
Hello,

I'm looking into hunting feral pigs or javelina and need some inforamtion like the where-abouts they may be found. If you know someone I may contact, that would be best.

Thanks ahead of time.
For hogs I mainly hunt the NM east and southeast areas along streams, rivers, lakes, irrigation circles (hogs love corn/peanuts and expensive produce like that). Check w/local feed stores/fertilzer dealers in areas you want to hunt, they are productive for me 'cause they know ALL the local hot spots and more importantly farmers that will let you hunt to lower the hog damage in their fields. Now and next couple of months are real good due to all the moisture and spring hatch. Aerial spotting is very productive and you can shoot right from the A/C (depending on your pilot, most say no aiming in front of the wing strut). S. of Alto, NM has had some hogs for about a decade from there to Rio Hondo~Pecos river clear into Texas. Lots of hogs and russian boar up(hint! crop circles) around Clayton, NM from a defunct game farm(locals claim,bitterly) and migration from Tx panhandle.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:35 PM

4 posts, read 27,240 times
Hunt and fish, Wild hogs cure up about like bear(less greasy than tame), we did several smoke and sugar cures in Id. and Ak. and most folk couldn't tell any difference in thinly sliced. We used Tn. feller's family smoked recipe out at Mountain Home AFB on an about 100 lb bear and a Virginia guy's recipe in Elmendorf AFB on a bigger black bear(I don't know how big but the hams were waaay bigger).

Old 01-12-2011, 07:39 PM

502 posts, read 1,379,806 times
Default Signs Of Feral Hogs In Timberon

a question for ya. Are any of you seeing any signs of feral hogs up there yet?
Thanks

Old 01-13-2011, 06:53 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,407,846 times
Haven't heard of any yet, but that's not unusual. I asked my husband, and he will keep his ears open for any talk in town.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:09 AM

11 posts, read 23,230 times
We haven't seen any hogs, but we did have a javelina in our yard last summer. Javelinas are also known as "collared peccaries," similar to pigs but not exactly the same. They root around the ground a lot like pigs do.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:09 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,160,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncat View Post
a question for ya. Are any of you seeing any signs of feral hogs up there yet?
Thanks
Hmmm...can't help wondering why this question is asked? Do you know something about them that would be of interest to others? I know feral hogs are an increasing menace in parts of Texas and OK, but haven't heard of problems in this region - yet. Kinda wonder what happens when feral hogs meet native javelinas?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico