Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

New Mexico: weather, power distribution, plumbing, gas bills, housing, market.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 12:53 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,692,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiaDalma View Post
I remember sittin' in Soldier Field in 1985 and for the playoffs etc. for that fantastic year, there on the Lake {not in box seats!}....
Did you by chance catch the Packers v. Bears Monday Night Football game last night from Soldier Field? 7 degrees with a -12 windchill. It looked downright unpleasant to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
The good news for you guys up there, in my experience, is you seem to get hit hard either in the pre-New Year or the post-New Year period, but not both [sorry if I just jinxed you].
I don't know TR...last year - 2007, my first fateful winter back up here from ABQ - we received 100 inches of snow (officially in MKE although some burbs picked up 115, 120), which included a whopping foot of snow on Good Friday (very end of March) and some inches in April.

I attended Opening Day for the Milwaukee Brewers (beautiful 60 degree day) and we were tailgating next to massive plowed snow mounds.

It started DEC 1 and never let up.

Call me a pessimist, but after the 40 inches we've picked up OCT 31 until now (as I type this it is snowing hard outside) I am not holding my breath for a post-NYD let up!

Old 12-23-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
Here's an interesting map of hardiness zone changes from the 90's to present. Our own area [in MD] changed from a zone 6b to a 7a.

Hardiness Zone Changes at arborday.org
I would take this with somewhat of a grain of salt though, TR. We'll see. I don't want to get embroiled in any way in any sort of a "climate change" debate, however, this winter nationally is demonstrating if anything that I would hold off on putting those palm trees in the ground in Des Moines.

Also, this chart shows a switch to a 7 zone up through Santa Fe and even more north it would appear which just isn't the case. No way SF has been a 7 zone of late and many plants that would work in ABQ (a solid 7b in most thermal zones) would perish quickly in a SF winter.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Enjoy EP - I sympathies. Misery loves company. I think the upper mid west is beautiful but the winters are just too much.

I spent a winter in the US Navy Great Lakes boot camp. After close order drill (have you ever seen sailors march - ROFLMAO) in below freezing weather, I would head for the "drying room" where we hung up our hand washed cloths (using only square knots) and just sat there an thawed out. The kept the room like a sauna and used it for punishment for minor infractions. No wonder I wound up in ‘Nam.

Any way I have to feet a couple of feet of packed snow off the deck because they are now predicting freezing rain (buckets in tub before the water does away) and wetting this much snow could rip the deck off the house. Never a dull moment.

Awesome story, GregW!

Yeah, a beautiful spot to be in MAY through OCT for sure. Not quite as pleasant the other 6 or 7 months unless you really enjoy "winter" stuff. It isn't so much some classic midwestern snow or cold that I despise, it is a) the *harshness* of the cold spells (eg: some 20s are okay, some -5s are rough), but even more b) the length of the winter; it just drags on forever.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
To draw a parallel, and to compare this forecast to ours, I cite Chevy Chase in "Caddyshack": "You're not uh...you're not, good. You stink."

You know, there are some people who actually like this weather, and stick up for it, saying they'd rather have their summers and put up with the winters in the aforementioned weather forecast.

Then again, I once lived next door to a neighbor whose dog like to eat his own $hi*. To each his own, I suppose!
This might be my candidate for "CD Post of the Year"!! Mike, I have read you are going through some hard times right now with the crime BS, but hang in there...LC's weather is so much better than so much of the nation.

Your post here made me laugh out loud man, especially the Caddyshack quote (so apropos).

Old 12-23-2008, 02:10 PM

464 posts, read 1,155,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
Did you by chance catch the Packers v. Bears Monday Night Football game last night from Soldier Field? 7 degrees with a -12 windchill. It looked downright unpleasant to me.

No EP, I missed it entirely I've not paided much attention to the games this year, did see moments of a Sunday game "in the snow" and thought, OMG! LOL
BUT I remember games in Chicago that where as cold as that and much much worse
Thing is, some of those games were in the dark- last half taboot! {begining after 3pm} The wind off the Lake {Michigan} and over the stadium, and AND SNOW and sub-zero temps before noon. Walking back to the McCormick Center Hotel {where Da Bears stayed/stay pre-game nite} from the stadium in drifts of snow and hitting the bed- clothes, boots, snowsuit and all and DYING! LMBO
My face would be wind burnt for a week and chap like sunburn LOL
It hurt to thaw out! Hehehehe....BUT them was THE days imho
Those games were the Best and it was made even more Fun by the Team, they were Krazee and kept your blood at least moving some LOL I doubt I'll ever see anything like it ever again.
Ok, now I'm "sorta" homesick Only sorta tho, Can't take that cold these days Ya'll are gettin' it so bad again now. I mean it's not peasant here where I am now more south but, it's nuthin' like up there! Yikes. I really feel for ya'll.

Tia Dalma

Old 12-23-2008, 02:19 PM

9,360 posts, read 20,735,054 times
Quote:
I remember sittin' in Soldier Field in 1985 and for the playoffs etc. for that fantastic year, there on the Lake {not in box seats!}....I don't know how I did that! How'd I do That?! The pain! LOL {well maybe being able to meet Payton, Hampton, Singletary, and the like....miiiiight have helped a little LMBO}
I remember watching the Giants game, living in New Jersey at the time, where it wasn't much warmer, and remember when the wind blew so hard that Sean Landeta, the Giants punter, actually 'whiffed' on a kick, missed it completely, as it blew off his foot, and Shaun Gayle returned it for a TD. Then Eric Schubert, the Giants kicker, shanked a 20 yard chip shot field goal later at the end of the half. Game, set, match! The following week, the Los Angeles Rams played in the NFC Championship game, and their QB, Deiter Brock, was shown in pre-game warm ups not even being able to complete a pass, he was one-hopping the ball. If I was a Vegas guy back then I would have cleaned out my account and put it on the Bears that day. Yeah, they won that one too, 24-0, after Wilbur Marshall almost killed Brock.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:25 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,988,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
I don't know TR...last year - 2007, my first fateful winter back up here from ABQ - ../..I am not holding my breath for a post-NYD let up!
Yeah EP, I guess on that one I was thinking more about the mid-atlantic, and some points northeast, but not the upper midwest. I remember one year where they were calling for a cold winter and we had this indian summer that went on forever, and everyone was like "This is nothing, man." Then we got walloped in Jan-Mar. And there was one winter where it was the opposite, brutal until early Jan and then a breeze afterwards. But as we all know, past performance is not an indicator of future results. As we all really, really know.

As far as that hardiness change animation...I do believe there was some controversy about it. I just hope we become a 7a so that I can finally plant a southern live oak in our yard.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:18 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,241,922 times
Quote:
Thank you Very much for this link Tim! Very important to know such things, especially if you're a gardener too. I just still don't know what to think about all of the weather/changes issues. I do know the area I'm in now, I also grew-up in. And remembering some similar weather with a few differences- less Ice storms, tho had a few. moderate snow, but never this Cold for long periods.
We've been below normal for weeks now.
Tho the low record for here in 1989 was -23°, Boing.

Now let's just hope we don't have some largish Volcano somehwere, decide to blow it's stack, LOL
Now that would seriously affect ALL we humans etc., alot and rapidly.
And that would be whether with or without "Global warming".
Wonder....if that, would "re-set" everything on the Blue Ball tho

My greenish thumb thanks Tim

Tia Dalma- Gads! Gardening catalogs will arrive in the next few weeks LMBO
Can't wait for "The Chile Woman's" most of All, Oh Yeah!

I've already gotten my one from Baker's Creek Seeds. You may have heard of them, they stock nothing but heirloom seeds.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:37 AM

464 posts, read 1,155,256 times
The Bakers Cat., I haven't heard of them in years, if it's the one I know of I'd love to have a small greenhouse for starting seeds, extend growing, etc, I just do a few inside from seeds I've saved over the year of things I really liked {a certain melon or tomato etc.}
I planted very little last year, felt the weather would b too cool and gray and humid {fungus, molds, etc} and Bingo- it was! The dew point was unbearable!
Plus glad I didn't, as my Horse got sick and took 90% of my time, which she deserved

The Chile Woman has seeds and plants. Shes got Chiles from around the world, does it on some sort of exchange program, Peru, China, Africa and heirloom seeds as well. Some newly University released ones, she's worked with. She's out of Perdue {or was}, if you like/plant Chiles Ramblin, you'd love her variety, she even does many NM chiles LOL
Organic and she tests and tastes each one to be able to tell you the flavor and HEAT or not

Heirloom tomato plants and seeds and tomatillos too.

I've had 100% luck with her products, and you can call her {Susan} on the phone and get her advice too.

I couldn't believe it when it struck me today, with this nasty weather and all- Garden catalogs come out soon! LOL
When I move, I'll have to look into the Baker cat.! Thanks Ramblin', Boy do they deliver early LOL

You have a Merry Christmas!

Tia Dalma
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico