Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 04:33 PM

775 posts, read 2,588,061 times

Advertisements

To people who want to locate to N.M. like Northern N.M. or even the East Mountain area there are Grant Lands in these areas. >>>> In the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo signed in 1848 the Spanish left Grant Land to their people but over the years the Treaty was not honored like the rest of the Treaties signed with the Indians. TODAY.... Over Half of the Grant Lands left to the Spanish has been Stolen by Government imposed Taxes and Crooked Lawyers and Wealthy people and Bad Surveyors etc. My Suggestion is theres lots of Federal Land and Forest Fire Land that is Charred or not being used the Spanish who had their Land Stolen a Second time should get this land that is just there. I cant believe that we give 100s of Billions of dollars to Wealthiest of Americans without any accountability from them but the Spanish Land Grants are still in Shambles and Latinos are still being subjected to lots of injustices. Our Color TVs are still Blk and Wht and the only Heroes Latino Kids have are Michael Jordan and the Taco Bill Chihuahua. Im Hoping that Obama will not allow this to go on any longer. el pintada kid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 10:55 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,611,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post
To people who want to locate to N.M. like Northern N.M. or even the East Mountain area there are Grant Lands in these areas. >>>> In the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo signed in 1848 the Spanish left Grant Land to their people but over the years the Treaty was not honored like the rest of the Treaties signed with the Indians. TODAY.... Over Half of the Grant Lands left to the Spanish has been Stolen by Government imposed Taxes and Crooked Lawyers and Wealthy people and Bad Surveyors etc. My Suggestion is theres lots of Federal Land and Forest Fire Land that is Charred or not being used the Spanish who had their Land Stolen a Second time should get this land that is just there. I cant believe that we give 100s of Billions of dollars to Wealthiest of Americans without any accountability from them but the Spanish Land Grants are still in Shambles and Latinos are still being subjected to lots of injustices. Our Color TVs are still Blk and Wht and the only Heroes Latino Kids have are Michael Jordan and the Taco Bill Chihuahua. Im Hoping that Obama will not allow this to go on any longer. el pintada kid
Yo quiero Taco Bill.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:41 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,987,545 times
Well as for the Atrisco Land Grant.. I think the land should be put to use, its been contraversy for a while. Residential is the "plan" for the property. I think people against suncal using it are plain out of there mind. How could you not develope land near a city, my stand on a land grand are different on others.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:02 PM

16,081 posts, read 10,744,030 times
I have been puzzled about the old land grants and what the status is....like up around Placitas where some families can trace back to the original grantees. I'm sure there are others. I'm not in NM and admit that I'm uninformed on this topic....just curious.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:22 PM

Default Spanish Grant Lands

Yes Spanish Grant Lands are everywhere in the Center and northern N.M. and the people dont want to lose anymore then the over half they have already lost. What gets me is theres lots of unused land out there the Government owns that could be used by the Spanish Heirs but cant because the Injustices of our System. Like the Treaties with the Indians none of which were kept the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo was no Different. An Old Indian Saying....... The only Promise the Whts kept was that they were going to take our Land and they did. p.s. to learn more about grant lands start by learning about Tijerina one of the most powerful people on Grant Lands back in the 60s and 70s. Tijerina is still around and living in Mexico i think. el pintada kid

Old 12-30-2008, 02:32 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
I am beginning to think that perhaps I shouldn't move to New Mexico, since there is apparently a great deal of ill feeling toward Anglos. I don't believe in the concept of 'ancestral guilt', as I call it. Yes, I agree that Whites in the past treated other peoples very badly. I am deeply ashamed. But what can I do about it?

I did nearly all of my Xmas shopping online at the Southwestern Indian Foundation in Gallup, NM, if that counts for anything at all. I love their beautiful goods!

Old 12-30-2008, 03:50 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,611,532 times
Bah, whites, or "Anglos" as some cretins around here say, did treat some badly, but the Spanish conquistadors did the Indians no favors before that. Do you wonder who owned the "Spanish Land Grant" land before the Spanish? The Indians. Before that the Indians killed each other too. The Apaches regularly raided the Navajo and the rest. It could go on and on if you let it. I tend to ignore any racism towards whites that I encounter here, and just chalk it up to ignorance and resentment that I can't cure.

The issue of Spanish land grants is a complex subject, but fortunately I live in the city where I am personally unaffected by it. All the land here has been properly deeded, and our boundaries are set. So argue over Spanish land grants all you want, I got better things to do, like ski that next run of moguls.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:28 PM

Default CatMan and Vinegoon

Go where you want to go and live where you please but if it makes you feel any better the Spanish are from Europe, Spain last time i looked is still in Europe and the Whts taught the Indians how to Scalp the Spanish brought everything imaginable to the Americas and mingled with the Indians. As for Racst i guess the Spanish are racst against their own people because any outside Spanish people that go into Spanish Grant Lands are not too welcome either not just Anglows. >>>>> P.S. ..... Spain and Mexico still have a Say So on our Grant Lands read the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo or better yet to learn simple Southwest History read the book..... North From Mexico by Carey McWilliams it is used in some Colleges to teach the TRUE HISTORY of the southwest and not the Made up History in todays Western Cowboy Movies. Without the Spanish Gene and Roy and Hoppy wouldnt exist because the Spanish brought the Horse so Trigger and Champion and Rudolph opps the last one the Spanish didnt bring but they brought almost everything imaginable to the Americas including Mining, Irrigation, Farming, Ranching IDEAS etc to the Americas. el pintada kid

Old 12-30-2008, 05:33 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
Default Racism?

PK: No kidding? Spain is in Europe? What point are you trying to make with that, anyway?

Yes, PK, I have read about the history of the Southwest and don't get it from 'cowboy movies'. In addition, I did not use the word 'racist'. I simply do not wish to live where I am not welcome, because of what others did in the 16th and 17th centuries, as well as later.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:07 PM

Default History History

Well Good Luck finding a place on earth where you can live in peace? Have you Considered Hawaii i hear they have plenty of Beautiful weather out there. Its a little expensive but if you have the Dough. el pintada kid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico