U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 02:25 PM

321 posts, read 722,433 times

Advertisements

Posted this in the AZ section and thought it might go over well here too.

So the wife and I have been talking a lot lately of relocating to another area. We keep coming back to AZ, TX, and NM each time we talk about where to relocate to, and are having trouble making a firm decision. I think perhaps a few words from those that have the same interests and lifestyle as us may help.

I am an avid hunter and fisherman who also has a few hot rods and enjoys tinkering and racing at the drag strip on Friday and Saturday nights. I am also a very laid back person, easy to get along with, adaptable to almost anything kind of person. I really love the outdoors and want to get back to my roots of owning a small piece of land where I can also hunt off of. We've been living in Missouri(where I am originally from) for about 5 years now. We have a small family with 3 children, which one will be graduating in a couple of years. Once he has graduated, I will no longer feel guilty about moving and putting him in yet another school(the other 2 are not yet in school). So we have a few more years here, but I'm a stickler for making informed decisions, and sometimes those decisions take a long time to consider.

Now to the wife, she is also laid back and very easy going. She likes doing light shopping and meeting new friends when possible. She likes gardening, reading, being outdoors, swimming, sight seeing, among others. We don't like a high and mighty lifestyle where we need material things or are worried about how the Jones' might see us compared to their highfalutin selves. We like the simple things, but we can along just fine in a larger city(she is from Dallas). She also has family in the Albuquerque and Taos, NM areas, so we would be much closer than we are now.

We are both pretty much looking for some drama free areas. We also can live in either warm or cold climates. Although she is more impartial to the cold, I kind of enjoy it. Does that make me weird? I was also stationed in Florida and have put up with the high heat out there. I do know one thing, the humidity here will NOT be missed one, single, bit! I have also traveled a lot, back in the day I drove a truck over the road, and have traveled through many parts of Arizona. However, you can't always get to those good places when you're toting a 48' drop deck flatbed. I know we'll need to likely stay close enough to at least an average sized city/town that we can have the amenities, and also to stay within a reasonable driving distance for employment. I am in the water works business, and she is restaurant food sales industry. Not sure how well the outlook is for those fields, but I'm sure we would change things up if necessary.

Thanks for any input you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 09:27 PM

775 posts, read 2,316,094 times
Default My Advice

The East Mountain Area is the Perfect place for you and your family and they have good schools in the Moriarty and Estancia area or use to and lots of Activities and Festivities in the Summer and Fall and Aluquerque and Santa Fe are close by. The Independent and the East Mountain Telegraph are two papers from there.>>> Kid Tip the Mountains and Lakes are everywhere and lots of Open Country land and Wonderful people. One of my favorite stops when im in Moriarty is the Red Concession Trailer across from the city Park they have the best Huge Burritos for 2.50 and dont miss the Flea Market on nice weekends at the East end of Moriarty. .>>>> p.s. Very Friendly ladies working there at the Burrito place. el pintada kid

Old 12-30-2008, 09:37 PM

1,063 posts, read 2,662,630 times
Read the threads, look up towns you might be interested in, and take a vacation and see the areas you are thinking about. Contact people in the areas you are thinking of. You have a wide range of wants, you may not be able to have everything. Fishing is not the big thing out here as you need the water for it. But then you may find what you are looking for.
Good luck in your search.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilegal View Post
Read the threads, look up towns you might be interested in, and take a vacation and see the areas you are thinking about. Contact people in the areas you are thinking of. You have a wide range of wants, you may not be able to have everything. Fishing is not the big thing out here as you need the water for it. But then you may find what you are looking for.
Good luck in your search.

That's one of the reasons why I'm posting here. My post states that I'm looking for input from people living similar lifestyles and similar interests as us. I know there will have to be compromises, as I've never made a move without sacrificing something here and there. I made that short list of our hobbies/activities so folks can see what we enjoy doing and get an idea of what kind of people we are. Now you said fishing is not the big thing, but I believe the Rio Grande runs through the entire state, as well as all the tributaries. I would assume that there would be some good fishing options there if no other place. Perhaps I assumed wrong. I did find some lakes and larger bodies of water. Any recommendations from this list? Wildernet.com - New Mexico Lakes and Reserviors
I know you didn't mean anything personal towards me in your post, but it just struck me that way a tad bit. No harm no foul though. I hope to spend plenty of time in the next three years making trips to both NM and AZ to see where my bride and I will like the most. Guess I'm just trying to get a little direction in general locations, that's all. Thanks for the reply. I will take it in stride.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:34 AM

13,140 posts, read 36,060,198 times
Lone sailor.....can you explain the ''water works'' business that your into so i'll know where your best employments opportunities along with your outdoor interests where you might be best suited in our state.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:59 AM

Water works is anything that has to do with commercial and residential water supply. Getting the water from a water or well, to the houses, subdivisions, etc. Also, sewer systems, natural gas pipe lines, storm piping, and electrical piping falls into the category that I currently work with. I sell to municipalities, rural water districts, and general contractors for installation. PVC pipe is what most people see and associate with the industry the most, but there is a lot more involved. I know the smaller towns/cities will have wells and septic tanks, and I'm okay with that personally, but if I'm going to stay in this industry I'll have to be close enough to a location that is big enough to have it's own utility systems i.e. water, wastewater, gas, electric, etc. Hope that helps put it into better perspective.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:35 AM

What are the tint laws in New Mexico? All of my vehicles have existing tint on the glass, so it would be nice to know if I would need to replace it.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:15 AM

13,140 posts, read 36,060,198 times
Lone Sailor.....alot of commuinities including the small ones have their own wastewater system/treatment plants as infact i was reading a while back about the tiny town of Carrizozo (1,500 pop) was expanding their facility.

It really sounds to me that Northern NM is your best bet since the cold is not a problem and there are numerous lakes on the Rio Grande north of Albuquerque up towards the Colorado border. If there are any lakes specifically that you want to ask about then ask as i or others on here have been to most of these around the state.

Not sure on the tinted windows question as someone else can answer on that.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:39 AM

Thanks for your input on the matter, I appreciate it.

I like what I've seen of Northern New Mexico, but I didn't want to sell any of the other area of the state short by not at least seeing what they have to offer. I like having options.

We like to ski and such too, which is good in the northern areas of Taos and Angel Fire.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:05 AM

Oh, and I also enjoy riding my bike. I know there are lots of good roads for cruising on the weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico