U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-05-2009, 09:28 AM

3,059 posts, read 6,287,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracul View Post
Repubs always like to distract attention away from their own party's sordid history of towering corruption. Your villains have been many, the current idiot-in-chief is only the latest disgrace to our county's wounded legacy. At their feet lie guilt of Machiavellian and draconian construction so deep and deplorable they choose to seek malfeasance elsewhere...rather than acknowledge the gigantic stench they dwell in The NM guv is small banana's indeed next to your huge rogues' gallery of public enemies!!!! You guys are beyond silly.
There are good and bad on both sides.

My impressions? I don't buy the argument that the current president is an "idiot-in-chief" or that our country has a wounded legacy ... I don't even know where that kind of belief comes from.

However, this is a thread about Governor Richardson and the current situation he finds himself in.

If you want to bash President Bush, maybe you could go to the City-Data Politics forum and do it there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 10:07 AM

7,646 posts, read 11,421,061 times
Quote:
Why don't you do likewise with Richardson.

As Tim correctly asserts the NM Guv is well regarded nationally and has a powerful background. He deserves the opportunity to clear his name before all you sibilant neo-con Chicken-Littles try to gnaw at his ankles The 25%rs will apparently prefer to go down...way down...with their sinking republiCON ship Sad and pathetic.
Because he is governor of New Mexico. This forum is about matters pertaining to New Mexico. Scumbag Richardson is the highest ranking official in this state. Accordingly, discussion pertaining to his lack of character is fair game here.

This behavior is not the least bit surprising, at least to me. There is a track record of deceit by this man. Example: put into Google "Wen Ho Lee", and get back to me. Comments welcomed!

Old 01-05-2009, 10:28 AM

728 posts, read 1,284,737 times
Richardson has helped to attract the upcoming spaceport to this beautiful but very backwards state. For that alone he may improve the lot of many needy residents. Time will tell. His "lack of character" is your perception, and that of others on this ridiculous thread, but again I reiterate; he is well respected in most quarters and he has been proven guilty of nothing. You're just blowing smoke until all assertions are vetted. <Mod cut: off topic, please stay on topic - thanks!; national political talk for Politics & Other Controversies forum>

Last edited by EnjoyEP; 01-05-2009 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: off topic, please stay on topic - thanks!; national political talk for Politics & Other Controversies forum

Old 01-05-2009, 10:47 AM

3,667 posts, read 5,269,353 times
<Mod cut: off topic, please stay on topic - thanks!; national political talk for Politics & Other Controversies forum> But discussing Richardson on here is very appropriate since he governs us not Colorado or the rest of the US, maybe the people of NM know alittle more than the rest of the country does, I don't care how well regarded he is by the rest of the country. He makes my hubbys job a whole lot harder with his permissiveness.

Last edited by EnjoyEP; 01-05-2009 at 11:05 AM..

Old 01-05-2009, 10:49 AM

3,059 posts, read 6,287,475 times
Quote:
Why don't you do likewise with Richardson.
Because Governor Richardson is a New Mexico topic.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:58 AM

49,633 posts, read 41,818,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
Are all those things really Richardson's fault?

1) He does deserve credit for the RR and the Spaceport.
2) He's done quite a bit to attract business, with the kind of tax breaks other states have successfully used in the past. And it's apparently paying off [I've seen plenty of posters on c-d talking about all the great businesses that are moving to NM/Albuq, Schott, Fidelity, the movie industry, etc.]
3) Didn't Richardson help spearhead a crackdown on drunk driving after the US Airways drunk flyer/driver debacle? The issue is now front & center, and who was the Gov?

It's interesting that Richardson is very well-regarded outside his home state, but not by as many inside NM. I wonder if this just a case of the prophet in his hometown....

p.s. Towanda, agreed that this thread should be about Richardson exclusively, unless there is a very relevent point concerning another politician.
Tim do you realize how few are sold on the RR or Spaceport? We happen to think the RR will be a wonderful addition to the state in years to come, but many disagree. As for his popularity within and outside the state, I think, to totally understand, you would have had to live in the state while he has been governor.

He has done some good, but is a first rate sleeze bag in many peoples view.

Nita

Old 01-05-2009, 11:06 AM

7,646 posts, read 11,421,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Tim do you realize how few are sold on the RR or Spaceport? We happen to think the RR will be a wonderful addition to the state in years to come, but many disagree. As for his popularity within and outside the state, I think to totally understand, you would had to live in the state while he has been governor.

He has done some good, but is a first rate sleeze bag in many peoples view.

Nita
But as we witnessed in the Bill Clinton administration, being a sleazebag is forgivable to many in the voting electorate if the elected official bows to the twin gods of welfare and food stamps. And really, this is at the heart of the entire political banter.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:07 AM

3,058 posts, read 8,154,652 times
Default Mod warming (not open for debate)

Folks -

Posts have been cut here, left and right, from folks on ALL SIDES of the political spectrum.

This thread needs to be civil, cordial, on-topic as it relates to New Mexico, and it needs to follow the forum Terms of Service (TOS).

Otherwise - amidst screams of "censorship" or "not letting people speak" - I will shut this thread down quicker than you can say "EnjoyEP is a party pooper".

Thanks in advance to ALL for your cooperation.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:52 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,573,589 times
I'm still waiting for a detailed explanation of why Richardson is a crook, sleazebag, scumbag...on and on. If you're throwing those terms around, I'd love to know what basis you use for judgement. And it better be more than the hackneyed "welfare and foodstamps" nonsense.
It must have been welfare and foodstamps that gave this country a balanced budget, a healthy economy and respect in the world....right?

Old 01-05-2009, 12:43 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,573,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Okay so I know he has spearheaded the spaceport and the railrunner but what else has he done that is noteworthy? He is very pro-illegal, our schools suck, our teachers make no money, our state is one of the poorest in the US and now according to some survey out the state ranks 3rd out of the most dangerous states to live in (granted not really understanding that one) but really what else has he done for us? When he first became govenor I remember one old man here in town thought the sun rose and set on Richardson and thought he would make a great president, now he doesn't feel the same way. I was really hoping he was gone but I guess not. Oh yeah and our state is notoriously easy on drunk drivers, he is well into his 2nd term could he not have spearheaded some legislation to make our roads safer for those of us who chose not to drink and drive? He could get spaceport and the rail runner up but not take care of this very big issue.
I ask what he's done to be so roundly criticized in recent posts and what I get is a question about what he's done that's good. Sorry, it's a way too obvious attempt to duck my question, and suggests some hollowness to all the whining and complaining.
I know it's fun to stick it to someone in power ( I enjoy it myself ), but you should at least be able to come up with a couple genuine reasons why he's a bad guy, or point out some specific things he's done to deserve such scorn.
That being said....it's interesting that you choose drunk driving to slam Richardson. He's been an outspoken advocate of increased enforcement all down the line, including changing existing state procedures that sometimes let drunks off the hook.
Couple that with the vehicle confiscation and breathalyser interlock programs he pushed and I think that, while there's still a lot to do, it can be said that he's made significant progress in this public safety effort.

Here are just a few quick things I pulled up with a Google search. I've underlined some key points.

[SIZE=6]New Mexico Ranked 11th Best State in National MADD Drunk Driving Progress Report

Governor Bill Richardson announced today that New Mexico ranked 11th among all states in a Mothers Against Drunk Driving “State Progress Report” in the battle against drunk driving.

“I am pleased that MADD’s report reflects the progress we have made here in New Mexico to combat drunk driving,” said Governor Richardson. “We are working tirelessly to fight DWI and we are seeing the results, but there is still more work to be done.”

MADD’s report ranks states based on their percent of total traffic fatalities that involve a drunk driver. In 2006, 28 percent of New Mexico’s traffic fatalities involved a drunk driver.

The report also provides each state’s drunk driving fatalities and highlights efforts to pass ignition interlock laws, as well as their status on sobriety checkpoints.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=6]
[LEFT]Governor Richardson Announces New Mexico Makes Major Progress Against DWI [/LEFT]
[/SIZE][SIZE=5][LEFT]St. Patrick’s Super Blitz (March 14-30) Kicked Off [/LEFT]
[/SIZE][LEFT]SANTA FE—Governor Bill Richardson announced today that New Mexico has moved out of the top ten states with the highest level of alcohol-related fatalities per miles traveled.
"This represents major progress," Governor Bill Richardson said. "But I want to make it clear that we still have work to do. We can’t afford to stop our efforts to eradicate drunk drivers until we can report zero DWI fatalities."
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), New Mexico has moved from being sixth in the nation in 2002 to being 14
[SIZE=1][SIZE=1]th [/SIZE][/SIZE]in the nation in 2006 in alcohol related fatalities per 100 million vehicle miles traveled, and to number 17 in DWI (.08+) fatalities per 100 million vehicle miles traveled.
In addition, preliminary numbers for 2007 indicate 176 alcohol involved fatalities, setting a new record low for New Mexico. This represents a nearly 20-percent decline over the last three years.
Governor Richardson attributes the declining trend in alcohol-involved fatalities to the multi-faceted approach taken by the state in the battle against drunk driving.
"Our efforts against DWI have included increased resources for law enforcement and public awareness as well as enlisting the public’s assistance through the Department of Public Safety’s DrunkBuster hotline," Richardson said. "In addition, we are attacking the problem on the supply side with the three strikes and you’re out policy’ aimed at business establishments that serve and/or sell liquor to underage and intoxicated drinkers."
DWI enforcement was a major focus of the New Mexico Department of Transportation’s successful "100 Days and Nights of Summer" comprehensive traffic safety campaign in 2007, which the Department plans to repeat this summer.
DWI Czar Rachel O’Connor added, "While I am pleased that alcohol-involved fatalities are moving downward, there remains much work to be done, and we want to see greater success in 2008."

FROM MADD.ORG:
“New Mexico was the first state in the nation to mandate ignition interlocks for all convicted offenders. Along with mandatory ignition interlocks, we increased enforcement, public awareness and treatment. Since 2005 we’ve seen a 20 percent reduction in alcohol-involved fatalities; I am confident our increased efforts along with the mandatory interlock legislation played a large role in reducing fatalities in New Mexico,” said Governor Bill Richardson. “Based on New Mexico data, we estimate that in 2006 ignition interlocks prevented some 63,000 alcohol-involved driving events.”[/LEFT]
New Mexico Changes DWI License Revocation Process

Effort seeks to cut down on number of dismissals of NM DWI cases.
January 1, 2009 will bring changes to the license revocation hearing procedure following an arrest for New Mexico DWI. The state will begin allowing police officers to submit signed affidavits that can be used when considering the suspension of a driver’s license for drunk driving. Previously, the officer was required to attend the hearing. The absence of the officer’s testimony could lead to dismissal of the driver’s license case.
Under New Mexico DWI law, the state begins an administrative process to suspend a motorist’s driver’s license after a charge of driving while intoxicated is entered. This is separate from the criminal charges associated with the DWI arrest. The motorist has the right to petition for an Administrative License Revocation hearing and attempt to retain his or her driving privileges.
The new policy of allowing an officer to submit paperwork, rather than appear at the hearing, is aimed at getting more license suspensions.

Richardson takes more steps to combat drunk driving - New Mexico Business Weekly:
http://www.governor.state.nm.us/press/2008/july/070108_01.pdf (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico