Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 10:47 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,239,115 times

Advertisements

Thanks, lalahatma.

Wow RD, not only is the lack of meds impressive, the word *RUN* is a mind blower. Much less long run. Tell her I said congrats, that is just absolutely awesome.
I just read your status and started laughing. I became sooooo addicted to REAL sopapillas while there, I started making them for our family and friends here. We got back at the beginning of July and instead of the regular hotdogs and burgers for the fourth, I did a New Mexican feast featuring stuffed sopapillas. Everyone sorta looked dubious until they tried them. They went over so well, they started a discussion about what I should do with them the next time I made them ;0) One friend even takes over the frying if they show up while i'm cooking them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 04:36 PM

332 posts, read 1,117,081 times
I love sopapillas. Stuffed, with honey, plain - doesn't matter. My answer to "what should we have for dinner?" is always "I dunno, does it come with sopapillas?"

I'll pass on your congratulations. Hope your health takes the same arc when you get out here!

Old 01-10-2009, 08:04 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,297,928 times
You may need the inhaler until you get used to the high altitude.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdog View Post
I love sopapillas. Stuffed, with honey, plain - doesn't matter. My answer to "what should we have for dinner?" is always "I dunno, does it come with sopapillas?"

I'll pass on your congratulations. Hope your health takes the same arc when you get out here!

Thank you. I got the letter from my doc today. It was sooooo cool reading the words "Move to New Mexico" in his recommendations.

The first time I tried sopapillas was at, of all places, Don Pablo's Restaurant here in Knoxville. They served them hot with a buttered rum/vanilla sauce.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
You may need the inhaler until you get used to the high altitude.

Maybe. The doc took me off the advair, which was the only thing I used in NM. Oddly enough, in Tres Piedras, Greg had a hard time breathing and I didn't. I wonder if my body was so used to being oxygen starved it just figured it was just another day at the office?

I have plenty of refills on the rescue inhaler and get 'em at Wal Mart for the same reason we bought our tires with road hazard at Wally World, as opposed to a mom n pop. I figure as we cross the US, there's gonna be a WalMart near just about everywhere.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:43 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,613,550 times
May I suggest setting up a household ventillation system that slightly perssurized the house through a very fine filter. This would keep the DUST and pollen from sifting through open windows and doors.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:22 AM

Hmmmm.. something connected to the heat/air system or freestanding, Greg? One thing the doc mentioned that I may have problems with is the Mountain Cedar. Says it blooms in February. Ever heard of it? Supposedly a black colored pollen. (Stuff we get here is so yellow it colors cars as it coats them!)

Old 01-14-2009, 06:06 PM

11 posts, read 27,695 times
Default asthma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdog View Post
Rose, I live in an old adobe with hardwood floors and floor furnaces (no other vents - just these things that heat up the air with flame right under your feet, which is a little alarming) and my partner, who had asthma back in NYC, uses nothing here. No Pulmicort, no albuterol, no nothing. Our only dust problem is around the windows, since the windows, too, seem to be 100 years old.

Good Luck! Hope you get to move here.

I also have asthma, I am wondering what part of NM you are in. My husband and I are really thinking of moving south. We're searching for answers as to where is the best place to live with asthma...I'll be waiting to hear from you,,,thank you...

Old 01-14-2009, 06:11 PM

11 posts, read 27,695 times
where in NM is this....I want to move there...I'm tired of not breathing 'cause of asthma...

Old 01-14-2009, 08:27 PM

Hi, i'm not yet in NM but we did take an exploratory trip there in June. Your breathing will vary, depending on your triggers. For instance, humidity is my problem, so I looked for a dry state. If dry air bothers you, NM won't help. If dust bothers you, NM won't help. If pollution or grass or leafy-type trees bother you... well, you've come to the right place.

We started our trip in Alamogordo, down in the southern part of the state. We then stopped in White Oaks (ghost town), Moriarty/Edgewood, Albuquerque (the previous three towns mid state), Santa Fe and finally Taos and Tres Piedras. TP is the northernmost town before you fall off into Colorado. The elevation ranged from 4350 Alamo, 5312 Abq. and 8800 TP. My breathing was more or less the same throughout. My husband, who has sleep apnea, but not day time breathing problems, had issues with the *thin* air in TP.

What we did was:
I discovered my triggers and researched what areas of the US were the least likely to trigger a reaction. We then took into account our other requirements (temps close to here, near a large town for work, four seasons, horse/family friendly were some of ours) and then researched some more. Then, and I know this is pricey and somewhat difficult to do, but we saved some cash and took a family vacation to NM to test a few things- could we physically live there, could we be happy there, how was my breathing... etc. The East Mountain area (Moriarty, Edgewood, etc) fit the bill.

Just keep in mind, moving away from the irritants you know may move you closer to ones that you didn't know would bother you. A trip to your prospective new home is a great help in this instance.

Sorry so long, but there's sooooo much to take into consideration when relocating for your health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico