U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-27-2009, 03:07 PM

74 posts, read 194,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmweatherman View Post

IMHO that is very disrespectful to all people of Hispanic heritage. Fer cryin' out loud, New Mexico used to be "northern Chihuahua" before the war. If we're gonna be bilingual, let's do it right and proper!
Only the small Southwestern part of current day New Mexico which was west of the Rio Grande river was part of Chihuahua and possibly Sonora. That area was part of the Gadsen Purchase which took place years after the US-Mexican war.

Most of what we call today New Mexico has always existed for centuries has a separate political division. NM. borders today are very similar to the borders NM. has had for centuries.

This is a map of the Intendency of New Mexico under Spain.

This is New Mexico has a territory of Mexico. Map showing 1824:

This next map shows New Mexico under US control. New Mexico territory was expanded to include what is today Arizona and a part of Nevada. Arizona and Nevada use to be part of the territory of California under Spain and Mexico.This map also shows the later Gadsen Purchase.

The Spaniards place much importance to New Mexico. This last modern map shows the route of the famous "Camino Real" (Royal Road) which the Spaniards extended to Santa Fe. The road started in Mexico City.

Last edited by Ounce; 07-27-2009 at 03:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 12:43 AM

39 posts, read 91,321 times
New Mexico used to be part of Mexico. I had a Palistinian (can't even spell it) who asked me if Indians still live in teepees in NM who owned a motel in Tucumcari. I am even surprised how many people think television and the internet is reality instead of one view (box) into reality. New Mexico and Arizona almost did not become a state until Apaches made a deal for schooling, moving to the rez land, food, whiskey, guns and medical care. At least that is how they teach it at Dine' collge a tribal college on the Navajo rez. Las vegas NM has a interesting history. many of us now have a television and internet view of the world. You can look up everybody from satelite but it is still hard sometimes to put it in relationship to other places without zooming out or actually going there.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:58 AM

3,667 posts, read 5,267,379 times
Since we have been on assignment in the DC area several kids have asked my kids if they spoke spanish because we were from NM. Even my son's counselor said "oh spanish class shouldn't be an issue for you since you are from NM." I hear more spanish spoken here than I do at home in NM.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:02 AM

7,646 posts, read 11,416,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Since we have been on assignment in the DC area several kids have asked my kids if they spoke spanish because we were from NM. Even my son's counselor said "oh spanish class shouldn't be an issue for you since you are from NM." I hear more spanish spoken here than I do at home in NM.
I feel the same way when I return to visit in New Jersey. I often hear more Spanish spoken, depending on where I am in that state.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:27 AM

You don't need Spanish in NM but in some places it will help you like Espanola & Las Vegas. It helps you politically to know Spanish and helps you be more employable. I remember going to a town council meeting in 94 in Las Vegas NM where no English was even Spoken so it just depends where you are and who you deal with. In Gallup it is helpful to learn a Pueblo or Navajo language. Good luck with that I couldn't learn much more than introducing myself even after 5 years. In Washingtom state you need Spanish to get any social worker type job. I regret not having spanish under my belt & may have to learn it yet. Learn it youg don't wait til you get passed 50. I have Spanish spoken to me everyday in Las Vegas but No hablo espanol and ola etc is about all I know.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:11 AM

3,667 posts, read 5,267,379 times
I think as time has gone on and as it continues to go on Spanish becomes more useful to know, alot of jobs now will hire the spanish speaking before the non-spanish speaking, while I don't think it is right it seems to be necessary. I do agree that in some areas in NM you will hear more but not every place. I just get frustrated with the misconceptions people have just because of where you live. Sometimes I can laugh about it and other times I want to ask if they are idiots. I speak some spanish but am by no means fluent and sometimes mine leans more to Tex-Mex since I grew up on the Texas-Mexico border.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:16 PM

12 posts, read 30,363 times
Default Sometimes people just don't think...

I haven't read all the postings in this thread so far (but I will do so...), but I just have to add my 2 cents to this discussion. Having just moved out here from California a year ago, I was surprised when my friends, whom I've always thought of as being fairly intelligent, also asked me if we needed a passport to move here! D'oh! I do speak Spanish, and it's been very helpful in my job in retail, but no, folks, you don't need to speak it to come here. I sometimes lament the geographic stupidity of some people here in the good old USA...we spend entirely too much time watching TV, being online, or reading trash like the National Enquirer, and not enough on expanding our intellectual horizons.
Also, a quick cultural note: not all Spanish-speakers are Mexican, an assumption that's made daily in my case. I generally have to explain my "accent", as my heritage is Colombian and Puerto Rican; also, my "accent" is influenced by the number of Cubans I hear speaking their brand of Spanish; I tend to be mimetic, so I unconsciously speak in the accent I'm hearing. Weird, I know!

Old 10-02-2009, 01:26 AM

On the NM/arizona northern border you can meet Navajo mixes that only speak Navajo and Spanishand no English. In fact they refuse to learn English. You will really insult a Native to suggest they should learm Spanish. Learning a second language will double your employment chances in many areas. My brother learned many variations and accents in his South American missions. I have had trouble learning university Spanish because it seems different than what I hear on the street. I have relatives that lived here when it was Mexico that spoke Spanish with a Scottish Accent.

Last edited by backslacker; 10-02-2009 at 01:27 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-02-2009, 11:39 AM

3,712 posts, read 1,781,414 times
It's not????

Old 10-02-2009, 11:54 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,646,607 times
This reminds me of way back to the Olympics in '96 in Atlanta. People were calling in from New Mexico for tickets to various venues. The operators were directing time to the international lines. Amid protests that NM was in the US, the operators would not cooperate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico