Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2009, 04:14 PM

199 posts, read 473,346 times

Advertisements

Also many think that Baja California is part of the USA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 05:55 PM

59 posts, read 182,197 times
Default re why people think

they didnt pay attention in social study class

Old 10-31-2009, 05:51 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,165,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeydoo21 View Post
they didnt pay attention in social study class
Geography class?

Old 10-31-2009, 06:41 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,141,928 times
Unfortunately, this ignorance isn't limited to New Mexico. I was asked once if I already had my passport when I was going to Carrizozo to see my grandma. I don't know where that came from as you didn't need one to go to Mexico much less New Mexico. I've also been asked (back in the 1960s) if I'd ever had any "trouble with the Indians"...my, my, my. I wanted to either slap them or tell them "Yup. Burned the homestead just last week. Lost pa. Tragic."

Old 10-31-2009, 05:51 PM

59 posts, read 182,197 times
Default re.

where i went to school geography was covered in social studies

Old 11-02-2009, 09:10 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,426,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZBEA View Post
I lived in New Mexico for long enough to realize that people think of it as Mexico because it FEELS like Mexico. Very little diversity, more illegals than Mexizona (Arizona), very poor healthcare, unfriendly, callous people, an odd mix of the wealthy, very wealthy, poor, destitute and working class poor.

At least in New Mexico, from Deming to Taos, this was our experience.

On the good side, we lived with ONE person who was a friendly, lovely, hard working person. His girlfriend, a native to that area, agreed with my assessment of our experience there. Our experience between Silver City and Gila Hot springs was at least ok.....but we didn't live there. Faywood Hot Springs would have been an ideal place to work and live but for the owner. We hope some forward-looking, friendly entrepreneurs buy the place soon.
Also the Mexicans are saying the SW belongs to Mexico and they're taking it back so it's probably okay if some Americans think they've already accomplished that.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:32 AM

39 posts, read 150,670 times
Here in Las Vegas NM they are filming a movie on a overpass on the road that ends up at one of the lakes that says welcome to Mexico. Apparently Las Vegas seems enough like Mexico to film a movie that is supposed to be in Mexico. Oklahoma was Indian country so Oklahomans would know the difference. Each town is different and about a hundred miles apart. Some areas look like Texas. Other areas like Arizona etc. Toas is different as is all the route 66 towns different that the Native American areas. Las Vegas is 65% Hispanic.Gallup 65% Navajo.Raton 65% anglo and like Colorado etc.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:38 AM

27 posts, read 62,485 times
I would like the apologize for my ignorance on this subject, formally. Not that I thought New Mexico was part of Mexico, (seriously, I did have a United States map-puzzle as a child) but that I didn't believe people could actually not know of New Mexico's statehood.

I was speaking with a co-worker yesterday, specifically one who is finishing his 4 year degree in some type of electronics program. I mentioned I was trying to get everything in order so that I could attend NMT next year. I used the words "New Mexico Tech." He gave me a quizzical look, and asked why I would even consider such a move. I started explaining the school's merits, as well as my desire to live in NM, but he cut me off. "But it's in Mexico, you couldn't find a school in the States?" It was then that sad, sad reality washed over me. Some people...

Old 05-21-2010, 07:00 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,141,928 times
Did the red desert fox not realize that New Mexico is part of the US and that English is already spoken there?

Old 05-23-2010, 10:40 AM

4,468 posts, read 7,963,566 times
Just ignorant is my guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico