U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-08-2012, 07:23 PM

47,586 posts, read 34,504,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
As long as many New Mexicans think New Jersey is the capital of New York, people with think that New Mexico is part of Mexico. :-)
Yes, I have a hunch that many people living in New Mexico cannot pick out New Jersey from New York, cannot tell where Pennsylvania is on an unmarked map, or name the capitols. Ignorance isn't limited to only those outside New Mexico.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 01:40 PM

4 posts, read 2,354 times
I live in Southern California and was planning on driving to the Grand Canyon, then on to New Mexico (Jemez, Ojo Caliente, Algodones and Madrid) so I notified Citibank, that I was going to be in Arizona and New Mexico (so that they would not flag my account and leave me stranded, like I have been in the past, as they think there is illegal acitivity on your account) and the representative stated "ok, so you will be in Arizona and Mexico" !!! I said "no, I said New Mexico" she just said "oh". This has happened before and for the most part with my experience, I believe it is that people do not hear the "NEW" part, they just Hear "mexico", selective hearing? who knows.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:52 AM

6,518 posts, read 6,806,006 times
I agree with the selective hearing hypothesis. Mexico is much higher on the average American's radar than New Mexico, so unless they are expecting to hear 'New Mexico', only 'Mexico' registers.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:23 AM

49 posts, read 45,664 times
I personally do not think that New Mexico has a whole lot of name recognition for most Americans?
New Mexico seems to be a state that most people drive through, to get to another location.
While the city of Santa Fe DOES have name recognition, it has morphed into somewhat of a fairy-tale fantasy in many peoples minds.
Kind of like a high desert version of the Emerald City in the Wizard of Oz??

Old 11-10-2012, 12:00 PM

4,288 posts, read 6,305,046 times
I've come to the conclusion that many Americans do not know much about the country they live in. They can't even tell you what states border each other (forget what the capitol of the state is). So as far as NM goes. I think that state has less recognition to many people in this country vs other states. They literally know nothing about it. So what you encountered is probably part selective hearing, and part no knowledge of New Mexico period. All they think of when hearing anything with Mexico is Mexico. New Mexico doesn't even exist to them though they may have heard of it. New Mexico is not in thier radar at all. I think its sad but thats how it is for many people. I don't know if its the lack of quality education in parts of the USA. Or the individuals themself. Probably both. I have literally heard people tell me Oregon was near Wisconsin and Iowa was next to Colorado. So you can imagine where they think NM is, if in fact they ever heard of the state. Very sad.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:00 AM

33,440 posts, read 28,092,723 times
I think it has a lot to do with limited attention span and New Mexico's last name.

When I tell my friends here in New Hampshire we plan on retiring to New Mexico they almost always ask if we speak Spanish. I usually just answer "Si'".

Old 11-13-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I think it has a lot to do with limited attention span and New Mexico's last name.

When I tell my friends here in New Hampshire we plan on retiring to New Mexico they almost always ask if we speak Spanish. I usually just answer "Si'".
I just saw New Mexico (Albuquerque area) listed in the number 1 spot for retirement, for people making $40,000 a year. It was on my yahoo homepage.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:55 AM

6,407 posts, read 3,394,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Seriously. How can they not know New Mexico is part of America? Yesterday I wore a shirt for New Mexico State University and people in my English class (Honors English 12) didn't realize New Mexico is a state. Someone asked if there are any white people. Another person said don't drink the water.
Public schools and teachers unions.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:38 AM

33,440 posts, read 28,092,723 times
Default Part of mexico

My wife and I expect to retire part time to New Mexico on considerably less than 40k a year. According to a Cost of Living calculator New Mexico costs half of what it cost in NH. That may make us full time retirees in NM.

On advantage is some of my acquaintances will think we moved to Mexico and will not want to visit.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
My wife and I expect to retire part time to New Mexico on considerably less than 40k a year. According to a Cost of Living calculator New Mexico costs half of what it cost in NH. That may make us full time retirees in NM.

On advantage is some of my acquaintances will think we moved to Mexico and will not want to visit.

I'm from Mass and retired this past year. In many ways I'd prefer to retire in New England, but as you know the COL is just way to much. As you get older it becomes prohibitive for many of us. So I'm trying Arizona this year and see how it goes. One thing I am noticing it gets very very crowded here, as all these winter snowbirds are pouring in now. The weather now is beautiful so I can see the attraction. Its just everything is so crowded from restaurants, stores, gas stations, fwys. Go to a movie and the lines are out the door and out in the parking lot. You can't get away from them.

New Mexico is a good choice for retirement. I don't think that state has all these winter residents arriving like Arizona does. So its probably much more comfortable there. Less people, less traffic and less smog.

NM would be much cheaper than New Hampshire, dispite the fact you don't have sales or income tax in NH. That tells you something right there, because New Mexico has both and I imagine its still cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico