Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 07:12 PM

66 posts, read 166,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc123rpa View Post
No, These are not educated people, they just think they are and are good at convincing others of the fact. As an immigrant I find it quite extraordinary how Americans are so smart in some ways and yet so lacking in others. Generally they are incredibly innovative and patriotic, but at the same time so blissfully unaware of the rest of the world. In addition to the examples already listed, I have asked high school students what ocean is to the East of the US and they did not have a clue. To the West, same result. Who is at fault? The ones who claim to do so much for so little and always manage to convince everyone else that they are underpaid, Teachers. It's time they started earning the respect they have been demanding for so long.
I agree. But, kids and adults should want to learn this info about our country. Teachers cannot teach everything. I probably knew the my oceans (at least surrounding the US) by the first grade, and I'm no rocket scientest! I think a lot of people these days have their minds elsewhere. They don't want to know a lot about our country. What happened to patriotism? That means you have to at least know that we have 50 states and NM is one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 09:28 PM

405 posts, read 1,335,216 times
Before I moved to the state, I contacted my credit card company to give them heads up. The customer service guy said "Just so you know..there will be an additional charge for every time you use your card out of the country". I played it off..and at the end of the conversation he told me to "enjoy your time out of the country". AWWW! DUMB!

Old 03-09-2009, 11:34 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,362,867 times
When we were making arrangements to move, I called several airlines about flying my cats. One woman kept insisting it was an international flight. I asked her which state was international, Maine or New Mexico. She kept on saying "international flight". I finally told her to just forget it, we wouldn't fly them as they had no clue where they were going and we didn't want to end up in a foreign country. I had nightmares of my cats ending up in Timbuctu.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:06 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,003 times
I wore the shirt again today. Surely enough, I got a "don't drink the water" comment. I'm going to NMSU next year to major in Geography so I don't understand how people don't know this type of stuff.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:13 PM

390 posts, read 952,121 times
Don't worry about it city. My knowledge of the far Northeastern states is limited. I have problems understanding those East of the big river and feel they talk too fast! I go to Chicago and feel I'm in a foreign country. Also, consider myself educated and accomplished but things are different in parts of this wonderful country. Just enjoy the difference, educate those along the way and enjoy their part of the States.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:09 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Some people must think the capitol of New England is London using the same logic that lets them think the New Mexico is a province of Mexico. Maybe our grade schools have forgotten how to teach kids to memorize. I remember getting the "I don't care if you don't want to memorize the states in our country, do it anyway! You're not here to do what you want or don't want. You are here to learn." from the teacher. Most of us learned.

Some times people will ask for directions to a local restaurant and when I say, “It is on the Southeast corner of Rt 102 and Mammoth Road.” They respond with “Which way is south?”
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 03-11-2009, 08:23 AM

66 posts, read 166,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Some people must think the capitol of New England is London using the same logic that lets them think the New Mexico is a province of Mexico. Maybe our grade schools have forgotten how to teach kids to memorize. I remember getting the "I don't care if you don't want to memorize the states in our country, do it anyway! You're not here to do what you want or don't want. You are here to learn." from the teacher. Most of us learned.

Some times people will ask for directions to a local restaurant and when I say, “It is on the Southeast corner of Rt 102 and Mammoth Road.” They respond with “Which way is south?”
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Then you tell the dumb ass, "its the opposite of North".

Old 03-11-2009, 08:58 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,250,169 times
Greg and I were talking about that last night whilst listening to Chris LeDoux and the song "Western Skies"

Loosely quoting, but there's a part "My Nashville friends, think i'm strange, to make my home out on the range. Say it's nothing but a God-forsaken land."

So see, we're not the only ones. Ol' Chris had to fight it too.

We were also talkin' last night about when we get moved to New Mexico how much we're gonna enjoy dippin' our toes in that blue, blue water and lyin' on those beaches... we just have to remember to drink bottled water only.

*big cheesy grin*

Old 03-11-2009, 10:13 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

Yep. Too bad that has disappeared. Now we're afraid we might damage their precious self-esteem!

No Child Left Behind is a piece of junk, and so are most of the other measures passed over the last 30 years or so.

Having said that, I have to admit that I AM directionally challenged at times, depending on where I am, LOL!!

Old 03-11-2009, 02:27 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,250,169 times
Oh, Cathy- i'm directionally challenged ALLLLL the time! If you take me there, I can get you there and back. If you TELL me how to get there, well you'd better draw me a map too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico