Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2009, 09:13 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,041,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
What makes you think all Americans know where Texas is? Really, I am serious.
I sure don't think that.

I was watching the Daily Show last week and they were asking people how many stars were on the US flag. I'm sure that the tape was edited, but they had a half dozen ( native English speakers ) who didn't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 10:30 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,811,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmweatherman View Post
I think it all boils down to the sorry state of schools these days. I did have a person ask me at the old Greyhound depot downtown "are we still in the United States?" (Ironically I wish we weren't these days...maybe if Texas seceeds New Mexico can join them? Become New Texas or Tex Mex? But that's another topic thread all together).

Does anyone recall the flap when a local dual-language grade school put up posters in Spanish, and the Spanish they wrote on those posters for classrooms was wrong!?!? My goodness...and this is New Mexico fer cryin' out loud! Good job, APS!
I have to laugh every time I see the outside entrance doors at JC Penney's...."halar" (pull).........that should be "jalar", but it's spelled with an h on every JCP door I've seen, whether TX or NM...! So now people get to be semi-literate in two languages!

If TX secedes, I'm going home.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:26 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,230,378 times
This knife cuts both ways.

I have met so many people who think that New York is only a city (or that NY state is perhaps a little fringe around the city) than I can count. I told my boss that I would be driving from NYC to Buffalo and that it would take all day, longer than driving from Albuquerque to Denver and he thought I was making a joke.

Of those people who do know that New York is a state, A surprising number of people seem to think that New Jersey is not a state, but rather the capital of New York State.

The big thing I have to explain to people from 'far away' is not that New Mexico is part of America, but rather that it is not always hot, has no real significant amount of palms (really no more so than say, the Mid-Atlantic region) and that there is no coastline.

ABQConvict

Old 07-10-2009, 05:36 PM

14 posts, read 65,088 times
Default The definitive answer

As the 2007 Miss Teen USA said (believe it or not), the reason many Americans can't locate the U.S.A. on a map is because "some people out there in our nation don't have maps..."

Sounds logical to me

YouTube - Miss Teen USA 2007 - South Carolina answers a question

Old 07-11-2009, 12:36 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,227,990 times
Default why do so many people think New Mexico is part of Mexico

Maybe because they weren't paying attention in their geography class? This was one of my favorites in elementary school.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:04 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,110,369 times
Having always loved to look at maps, I find it incomprehensible. Some people are, shall we say, extremely geographically challenged.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:23 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,010,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Yesterday I wore a shirt for New Mexico State University and people in my English class (Honors English 12) didn't realize New Mexico is a state.
It says right on the shirt that it's a state.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:27 PM

136 posts, read 299,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I seem to recall some voting ballots or instructions about two years ago in which the Spanish portions improperly phrased...
Rich

IMHO that is very disrespectful to all people of Hispanic heritage. Fer cryin' out loud, New Mexico used to be "northern Chihuahua" before the war. If we're gonna be bilingual, let's do it right and proper!

Old 07-11-2009, 01:28 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,227,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Having always loved to look at maps, I find it incomprehensible. Some people are, shall we say, extremely geographically challenged.
Me too. Always wanted to look places up on the map. In fact, when the Iraq war began, all we heard was this thing called the green zone and the presidential palace, I just had to google it and see where it was. I don't understand why people do not show interest in wanting to know what or where some place is?

Old 07-11-2009, 01:31 PM

136 posts, read 299,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I have to laugh every time I see the outside entrance doors at JC Penney's...."halar" (pull).........that should be "jalar", but it's spelled with an h on every JCP door I've seen, whether TX or NM...!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post

So now people get to be semi-literate in two languages!

That's so funny...and that's what I am, semi-literate in two languages!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico