Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 08:49 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,038,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Maybe it's just me, but it seems in recent years the confusion has become less and less. I'm sure a number of factors have contributed to the states increased recognition, including the states steadily growing population, the success of lobo basketball, an increase presence of hearing New Mexico in the national news, and of course the marketing of Santa Fe on menus across the globe.
Two words. Breaking Bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 09:42 AM

255 posts, read 624,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
Two words. Breaking Bad.
Three words; sad but true.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:47 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,038,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxzj View Post
Three words; sad but true.

Three more words. Neil Patrick Harris.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:02 PM

20 posts, read 36,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Seriously. How can they not know New Mexico is part of America? Yesterday I wore a shirt for New Mexico State University and people in my English class (Honors English 12) didn't realize New Mexico is a state. Someone asked if there are any white people. Another person said don't drink the water.
In other states, people only hear about MEXICO the country to the south! so they automatically assume that there is no such thing as NEW MEXICO.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:06 AM

3,404 posts, read 4,437,014 times
I was surprised at how many seemingly educated people back in Jersey didn't know exactly what New Mexico was when I told them I was moving there.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:50 PM

288 posts, read 720,594 times
Pure ignorance is the likely culprit. You know it's sad when you talk to people in places like Hong Kong and you tell them your from NM and they actually know what your talking about whereas people in places like Ohio in many cases do not.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:35 AM

52,219 posts, read 33,946,688 times
DC clerk stalls marriage license to New Mexico man over his 'foreign' ID card

Old 03-05-2019, 09:13 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,518,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paleo99 View Post
You know it's sad when you talk to people in places like Hong Kong and you tell them your from NM and they actually know what your talking about whereas people in places like Ohio in many cases do not.
I was stationed in Korea (twice actually). One of the warnings I got from another U.S. Soldier was about Korean school children... They would see Americans and want to practice their English. I would tell them "OK, but no American History"! As some of their questions were far above more elaborate than I, an American could answer. Some of the children would ask about various U.S. States, and at times would drift off to discuss other countries other than the United States...

I once replied to a small group in Spanish... There were a few children who understood what I said, so we practiced the Spanish language..

Yes, at times it is sad...

Old 03-05-2019, 10:47 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,722,116 times
It baffles me. Even here in California, and even recently (within the past couple years) and in Colorado several years ago, I have been in a couple conversations where people have made a comment that made me realize they were under the belief NM was not part of the U.S. The reason I recall this is because it made me take a double look, it was so unexpected.

Old 04-01-2019, 04:07 PM

23,690 posts, read 9,251,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Seriously. How can they not know New Mexico is part of America? Yesterday I wore a shirt for New Mexico State University and people in my English class (Honors English 12) didn't realize New Mexico is a state. Someone asked if there are any white people. Another person said don't drink the water.
guess they are not too good at geography.It surprises me too.My girlfriend did not know New Mexico was part of America when I told her i wanted to move there lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico