Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 10:25 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,706,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
We already make it so easy that even ineligible voters have no problems casting a vote in some areas.

Illegals, dead people, et al.....
Or so you hear every election cycle . . . although actual evidence of it is very rare. Certainly not significant enough to change election results. Shouldn't we rather err on the side of inclusion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 10:36 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,800,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Or so you hear every election cycle . . . although actual evidence of it is very rare. Certainly not significant enough to change election results. Shouldn't we rather err on the side of inclusion?
No, I don't think so. It undermines the election process.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:44 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,706,364 times
Quote:
No, I don't think so. It undermines the election process.
It also exclude people who are less inclined to vote like you do.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:10 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,679,349 times
Default Mod message: Back on track, people

<Mod message:

OK, cathy and domino, let's save the Voter ID debate for the Politics and Other Controversies forum please, and try to stay on topic. Thanks!!>

Old 01-08-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
<Mod message:

OK, cathy and domino, let's save the Voter ID debate for the Politics and Other Controversies forum please, and try to stay on topic. Thanks!!>
Sorry, EEP.....will try to do better in the future!!

Old 01-08-2009, 06:24 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,484,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Yes, let's disenfranchise as many eligible voters as we possibly can.

Shouldn't we try to make it easier for all eligible voters to participate in the election process so that we have truly representative government? Or is the goal to keep people on the margins of society out of the process, since we really don't want their voices heard, anyway?
I'm not real sure it's better with people who vote like they're choosing some kind of celebrity or rock star. What if only people who read about politics, who think a lot about it, who understand the concepts in the Constitution, who understand the balance of power and our form of government were to be the only ones who vote?

The way it's become, it's about which candidate has the better hair style, which one promises the most promises, who wears the best clothes, has a television presence.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:56 AM

8 posts, read 25,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Seriously. How can they not know New Mexico is part of America? Yesterday I wore a shirt for New Mexico State University and people in my English class (Honors English 12) didn't realize New Mexico is a state. Someone asked if there are any white people. Another person said don't drink the water.
I got married in another state and when we applied for the license, they looked at my Husband's New Mexico driver's license and asked to see his passport.

There's a reason New Mexico is the only state that has USA written on it's vehicle license plates.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:47 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,529,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereznm View Post
Cause we're geographically challenged as a nation. USAToday noted in a article May 2006 that 18-24 yr olds couldn't locate Louisiana on a USA map. 6 in 10 couldn't find Iraq and 48% were unable to locate Mississippi. And don't even get me started on civics.
Spot on Mike.....as when i go back east to visit relatives in Georgia and Florida i get the same questions from the locales about what's it like to live in a foreign country.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:14 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,762,067 times
Quote:
AMEN...and all voters have to prove citizenship and produce a valid ID card...as well as being able to read and write English.

Whoever came up with the requirement that ballots have to be produced in any language where at least 10% of the population speaks/reads/writes that language is an idiot.

Some voters are illiterate in two langugages...their native one and English!
Wooo! Can you imagine the low voter turnout?

Old 01-10-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmex View Post
Wooo! Can you imagine the low voter turnout?
That might not necessarily be a bad thing in some cases......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico