Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2009, 09:08 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,166,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 505history505 View Post
I'ma Seventh grader And I kno read a book...New Mexico was part of Mexico for a long time (New Spain) But then the pueblo revolt came and the Indians beat the liveing hell out of Spanards so they went back to spain and thought of a New plan while that was happeing The Indians were taking care of New Mexico so they got a New leader In spain because there last one died so they came back to NM so they could roconquor New Mexico peacfully but it wasn't so peaceful which leads up to Fiesta's here they treat it like as if it was so peaceful but it wasn't so were celabrating Death in otherwords Fiesta's are ass backwords...So there Read a book New Mexico History book come one its really easyy I did it !!
-Marissa Branch
***505***
Oh Marissa......Please...for your own good, Study, learn, read, pay attention in class, go to summer school if you can.
Is that tug on my leg someone pulling on it??? How can this post not be a...well, nevermind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 03:32 AM

71 posts, read 190,442 times
I always get asked to bring some tequila on my trips back east... I have to inform them they can get the same tequila down the street from their house.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:00 AM

156 posts, read 133,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiewalk View Post
I always get asked to bring some tequila on my trips back east... I have to inform them they can get the same tequila down the street from their house.
True. It's like people who have gone north from a south state and the neighbors asking if they brought any moonshine back with them.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:20 AM

14 posts, read 64,972 times
Default Careful!

It did get kind of annoying when I'd tell friends I was going on vacation in New Mexico...the response was almost always along the lines of "be careful. There's been a lot of trouble down there lately." Refering to the bordertown trouble in Mexico.

I always had to repeat slowly "No, NEW MEXICO -- the state!"

Maybe part of it is that people just don't really listen to everything you are saying -- or maybe they just don't listen to ME

Old 07-09-2009, 01:14 PM

41,478 posts, read 59,552,077 times
Many folks hear the "MEXICO" but not the "NEW". Then every bad thing about Mexico pops up in their head and they stop thinking. Read the "one of our states is missing" section of New Mexico Magazine for some howling examples.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:53 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,574,443 times
I think the final answer as to why many do not know that New Mexico is part of the USA is poor education. Simple, 50 states in the USA. New Mexico is one of the 50...

Old 07-09-2009, 07:53 PM

390 posts, read 948,945 times
Have another drink on me everybody!!!! Useless conversation!

Old 07-10-2009, 06:54 AM

136 posts, read 299,230 times
I think it all boils down to the sorry state of schools these days. I did have a person ask me at the old Greyhound depot downtown "are we still in the United States?" (Ironically I wish we weren't these days...maybe if Texas seceeds New Mexico can join them? Become New Texas or Tex Mex? But that's another topic thread all together).

Does anyone recall the flap when a local dual-language grade school put up posters in Spanish, and the Spanish they wrote on those posters for classrooms was wrong!?!? My goodness...and this is New Mexico fer cryin' out loud! Good job, APS!

Old 07-10-2009, 07:11 AM

136 posts, read 299,230 times
From a T-shirt:

New Mexico...cleaner than Old Mexico!

Old 07-10-2009, 07:43 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,530,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmweatherman View Post
maybe if Texas seceeds New Mexico can join them? Become New Texas or Tex Mex?

Does anyone recall the flap when a local dual-language grade school put up posters in Spanish, and the Spanish they wrote on those posters for classrooms was wrong!?!?
What makes you think all Americans know where Texas is? Really, I am serious.

I seem to recall some voting ballots or instructions about two years ago in which the Spanish portions improperly phrased...

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico